RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Tray Ideals

Boolit Buddy
    I use some old AL for sale signs from United Farm. Put holes in them for the gas check shank to set in and some 1/2 inch wood runners on them so that the bases of the boolits that hang out the bottom do not contact the rack and tip them over when cooking.

Boolit Bub
    An update to my earlier post. I am now putting foil on the plate. I spray the bottoms first
    and then flip with the aluminum foil plate, coat and then bake. Working awesome. I was baking the boolits in the
    tray but this is working much better and I don't have to put the tray back on the boolits.

Quote Originally Posted by Russel Nash View Post
    I am right there with you. About to sell my regular non-hollow pointed moulds.

I have another piece of that same sheet metal. I figure once I get the hollow point moulds, I will lay out a staggered pattern like before. However, there is a drywall screw with a self-cutting or self-tapping point used for hanging drywall on metal studs. I would use those, driven through the sheet. With the tray pointey side up, I'd just set my hollow pointed boolits down onto the points.
    I'd not sell my good molds just yet...
    Check out this guy's Hollow Pointy solution
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...low-point-tool
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I made a tray today to coat some .35 Whelen boolits. It's just a prototype that holds 27 boolits. I'll make a bigger one if I like it. The spacing is 1-1/2" because the HP is shallow and the boolits list to the side and were touching when I used 3/4" spacing. It is a rock maple hardwood flooring board with some finish nails driven through small holes drilled in it and wrapped with about 4 wraps of Al foil.
    It doesn't matter what kind of foil you use, since the boolits don't touch it. If I make a bigger permanent one, I'll drive the nails through a thin piece of aluminum on the back side, so it'll have permanent conductivity between the nails that is more reliable than just Al foil.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Beagle that's what I did was using some aluminum siding on both sides of my boards since on the back side the nails may pass threw it and it works good.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    I'm using JB-Weld for the glue. It's working pretty good. Thrift stores have lots of aluminum cookie sheets cheap, and tin snips make them fit the little ovens. (safer than an electric saw)
    heads up to others reading this, you have to use the "original" JB weld, other formulations/brands (loctite) do NOT have the needed hi temp capability
    read your labels

Beagle did you test the integrity of those nails by first simply walking on them?
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --H. L. Menchen

Boolit Grand Master

I didn't have to. I stuck about 4 or 5 of em my hand during the construction and determined that they will resist bending by a 245gr weight quite easily, even when carried.

But they worked quite nicely for the intended purpose!

Last edited by Beagle333; 09-28-2014 at 03:41 PM.

Boolit Bub
    So, finally had time to proceed wit my version of the beaglemans tray, just got the BFR back from MR.

I think they really did me right, and I am back in bizineeezzzz, gun feels good again

so,
    I made two trays, one for the 500, and one for the 45, using 3/8 and 5/16 spacers respectively.
    they will be covered with a fresh sheet of NSRW every shoot (really guys, it gotta be less than a nickel to change the foil, let it go, its worth the conductivity assurance)
    the sizes should give a good combination of base wraparound coverage, and stability for transfer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20141020_084108.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

Those are some neat lookin' trays.
    I change my foil every time. I think it came to about 16 boolits coated per penny if I use a square of fresh foil every time. I can live with that.

My biggest concern with savings on shooting supplies comes from plus or minus 8 dollars per pound of Unique, depending on where I find it.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    Those are some neat lookin' trays.
    I change my foil every time. I think it came to about 16 boolits coated per penny if I use a square of fresh foil every time. I can live with that.

My biggest concern with savings on shooting supplies comes from plus or minus 8 dollars per pound of Unique, depending on where I find it.
    Thanks man, vanity dictates I PC prior to use to cover my hasty torch job

I burn 4759 4227 w296 aa7. in that order, though, I gotta say, I am trying really hard to fall in love with that uptown girl......... N110. but she be a pricey bitch at like, 44bux a lb and 28gr a shot
    Last edited by meicalnissyen; 10-20-2014 at 03:12 PM.

Not sure if I missed it or not...but what size nuts/washer should I use for 9mm/38? I'm using the 358-125-RF it drops about .360 out of my mold.

Just ordered my gun today, gonna prep some trays. DT proved it self now I'm stepping up

Boolit Grand Master

I like 6-32 nuts for my .38's
    They work good on the .45s too, as long as it isn't a tall .45-70 boolit. The .45 pistol boolits work really well. But I did do a bunch of NOE 9mm on the 6-32 and was very happy with that size at 3/4" grid spacing.

These are 9mm done on 6-32 nuts.

Boolit Bub
    so here is the first batch of 440's, sprayed and ready for the oven with gloss clear.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141024_123448.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	120141 i had a few 45's left that i added at the corners, not worth a seperate spry and bake

Boolit Bub
    so stable they you can spray em vertically

Boolit Grand Master

That looks great. You should be getting perfect coverage with no flashing the bases with a nice tray like that.

Here is my solution for small caliber hollow points.
    A small wire mesh screen from a restaurant supply store ($1.50). Cut every other wire and bent up at 90deg.
    Will give it a go in the next week or so.

Boolit Grand Master

That sure doesn't look as labor intensive as me drilling a grid of pilot holes and driving all those nails through my board.
    I may have to try a version of this!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Huvius View Post
    Here is my solution for small caliber hollow points.
    A small wire mesh screen from a restaurant supply store ($1.50). Cut every other wire and bent up at 90deg.
    Will give it a go in the next week or so.

Do you mind posting a link?

Boolit Master

I looked it up at restaurantsupply.com and sure enough, there they were. I plan to use them when I ASDT the Lee TL309-230 5R on parchment paper. Those trays look like just the ticket to keep the boolits from touching during baking. Slick idea!
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast