Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do with scrap Powder???

What to do with scrap Powder???

Not sure if this is the right spot, but here goes anyway....

For a long time, after every reloading session, i have swept up any spilled powder, and every time i pull a boolit or or whatever spills or get contaminated in any way, i put into an old 4064 metal can....

Now, after a long time the can is starting to fill up... What to do with the powder is the question. My son thinks we should have some fun with it.. And i agree.... Needs to blow sumthin up at the range or ?????

Looking for some suggestions, and they need to be LEGAL suggestions....lol

Thanks guys...

AG

In Remembrance
    Nothing wrong with getting rid of that tree stump that seems to be in the way. And tree stump isn't a code word for politician either.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

It's really expensive fertilizer in it's raw form. Sprinkle it on the lawn.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Theodore Roosevelt

burn it at night and then go ooooooow

Super Moderator

Making it go boom might draw unwanted attention. I throw smaller amounts into the flower beds...larger amounts I scatter onto the lawn

Boolit Master

Fertilize your garden

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    What to do with scrap Powder???
    * Smokeless down the drain with hot water
    * Black powder back in the can
    Regards
    John

bhn22
    Smokeless powder doesn't go boom, and I suggest that you either feed it to the plants, or pour it in a pile on a concrete slab, make a long trail, and put fire to it. It'll act like fountain fireworks on the Fourth of July. Smokeless doesn't explode unless confined in a very strong container. Then you have shrapnel & debris to worry about. It ain't worth the risk.

Wen i was a kid, we would load flash powder into shotgun shells with waterproof det cord tapped into the side... Then we would wrap it very tightly with electrical tape, many layers.... It did go boom, and we used them at a small wier to bang fish...lol ... Not sure if i should have volenteered that info, but the statue of limitations is up on something i did 40 years ago... I hope....

I was thinking about something along those lines, but legal...

Boolit Grand Master
    I wouldn't even store it. I sweep up spills and throw in the trash.

Boolit Grand Master

Spread it thinly over the yard or garden. Smokless only burn unless confined. Any explosion produced is also the risk of injury from shrapnel. Pour it out let the rain dislove it into the soil. I dont recomend walk ways or drive ways where a stray cigerette /spark could ignite it either. Be safe not sorry

Boolit Master
    More fun to burn it than to waste it on your garden... I like the pour it on a slab and touch a match to it.. it doesn't really do much... you can act like an ancient headhunter and toss some on a campfire for some cool effects..

Boolit Buddy
    Flush it down the toilet. Problem solved.

Moderator Emeritus

Feed the rose bushes, they love the nitrogen.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Master
    Several of my bud's went the fireman route, I think when growing up we would have all been classified as Pyromaniacs by the pin heads. There were many a model car/plane/boat that was built met an explosive, fiery death. Fill model with powder, using old type brown pill bottle with white soft cap. Stuff as many blue tip matches as you can in bottle and strategically place in target. Across yard behind hard cover we would commence firing with those super accurate BB guns built in the sixties. I could tell you all kinds of "experiments" that were conducted, being a 52 year old white male and understanding that I am one of the greatest threats to this nation I shall refrain. I am sure the NSA listens here just for fun also. Gtek

Boolit Master
    That's what I do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Stihl View Post
    It's really expensive fertilizer in it's raw form. Sprinkle it on the lawn.

Ok, for those that say to feed the garden. Please remember that i dont have no rose bushes, no lawns, and such...lol and if i did, they would be completely frozen over about now... And buried in snow.

With all this snow and no risk of fire, now is the time to plan something fun for new years...lol

Boolit Grand Master

Feed it to your dog, sprinkle it on his food. It'll make him mean...(but don't stand behind him after he eats!)
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Moderator Emeritus

For educational purposes only:

What I've seen done (outside and in the dark of the evening), using a metal 5 gallon can with a small hole in the bottom edge seam. Sprinkle some Black powder onto the bottom of the can, a little more than 1/4 cup, as thin of a layer as possible but still completely coating the bottom. Then make a pile of about 1/2 cup of your smokeless powder to be disposed of in the middle, then a small trail from that pile to the hole in the can, and then continue the trail outward a safe distance to act as a fuse.

When the trail/fuse is lit, The burn looks like a pillar tornado, when it gets to the can, the Black powder makes a "Whoosh-thud" and a mushroom cloud of white smoke rises and is illuminated by the pile of burning smokeless powder in the middle...the light show lasts about 3 seconds,the sulfur smell slightly longer.

Again, this is for educational purposes only
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Do sprinkle lightly on green lawn. I tossed out a pound of mixed powder on the lawn that resulted in the nicest paisley shaped lawn burn you every seen. Took a heck of a long time before my neighbor forgave me and his grass grew back. Funny now but not at the time.
    Last edited by buckndee; 12-21-2013 at 01:56 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast