Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: High performance buckshot - revisited...

Boolit Master

I've got a bunch of the Federal flite control wads but haven't got any load data. The guy that demilled them said 32 grns of longshot was in the shell but I wouldn't swear to it.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Banned

I would just use regular data and not red-line it. I was going to get some unslit wads and mimic the Flite-Control wad. Cut the gas seal in sections and some reverse flaps on the wad body. The wad is designed to be an "air-brake" and slow down quickly so the payload keeps on going naked. If you look at the Patent, it looks simple to mimic. Just a lot of hand work with a razor knife. Any chance you could send me one to examine?

In Remembrance

Oh, my mistake: if its just like a flitecontrol wad, then i have some de-milled ones as well.
    I'll post a pic tomorro wor soon.

Actually, i thought I did somewhere in the past...
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

Boolit Master

C, check pm.
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, it's like the flight control wad. I was using the Ranger Plus Wads and CSD wads for my Version.
    I didn't bother to touch the Gas Seal. I wouldn't cut the gas Seal, unless You plan on putting a BPGS or similar nesting seal under it. I believe that James Gates had some Luck with using regular LBC Wads from BPI, but cut in 2 slits. He also had a Cork over the Buckshot that seemed to tighten long range patterns up a bit. The Though was to delay the Wad opening, without causing a Doughnut pattern.

I did Manage a heavy Load of 47-#4 Buck in the 12 Ga Federal .090" Hull. It worked pretty well with the Teflon Wrap, but wasn't a 50 yards Load. You just can't get that much Shot in any other Hull. The Load could be recreated and use Lil Gun. My Tested Data converts easily to a known amount of Lil gun.
    Greg
    AKA 12 Bore

In Remembrance

Here's that pic, BTW:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post2586040

greg,
    I like your posts/data because you don't BS anyone: if its not a 50 yd load, you say so. If its over pressure, you say so and have the test data to prove it, etc. Gives confidence in your advice. Just my 2cents.

C-
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

Quote Originally Posted by cpileri View Post
    Greg,
    Can you draw a picture (or send me oen to post) of the 'reverse petal' cut?

BT,
    Hopw many pellets you got in there?
    I believe it was 42. That's in a 3.5" unslit wad.

Boolit Master
    Note: This Precision Reloading wad is the same as the 20 gauge CSD wad only pre-slit.

https://www.precisionreloading.com/c...=TUW&i=SBL2024

Quote Originally Posted by cpileri View Post
    OK, i finally got to trying the 3&1/2buckshot in a few wads, and they do self-stack into layers of 2 in a 20ga CSD wad, with 16 pellets (427gr) filling the wad:

Attachment 121746They fit in layers of 3 in other wads, which isnt what I was after.

My thinking is that where they give up .01" (.26" vs .27") and 2-to-4 pellets to factory no3buckshot offerings, the combination of layers of 2, plus containment in the wad, plus lack of bore scrubbing causing distorted pellets and flyers; all should tighten up the pattern compared to factory no3buck loads that are stuffed in the hull causing dimpling.

Just need to slice some petals (CSD wads have no petals) and get some ~1oz load data (427gr is between 15/16oz and 1oz) and try them out.

C-

Boolit Master

Ralph, very nice to see you posting. I commented to another member just this week that I missed your erudite input. Especially that I found a unicorn last week - a pound of green dot!
    Leonard Ravenhill

In Remembrance

Ralph,
    Thank you so much! That will save me a bit of work.
    I have this 4 bladed arrow set up I concocted which works but its a pain.
    C-

Boolit Master
    Both are simply B&P wads.

http://www.baschieri-pellagri.com/en...l/1/index.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by RMc View Post
    Note: This Precision Reloading wad is the same as the 20 gauge CSD wad only pre-slit.

https://www.precisionreloading.com/c...=TUW&i=SBL2024

Boolit Buddy
    I know They are both made in Italy by B&P. It is just confusing for BPI and PR to Market Them as Different Products. PR might even have some Unslit if You ask. I just dislike BPI, and try to do only minimal Business with Them. Their old Slug Manual was somewhat of a Joke, and some Loads wouldn't even fit to Chamber.
    How do They pressure Test a Load than Can't be Chambered? Their Sabots Loads were also really Suspect, and released without proper testing.
    Greg
    AKA 12 Bore

Quote Originally Posted by Greg5278 View Post
    Their old Slug Manual was somewhat of a Joke, and some Loads wouldn't even fit to Chamber.
    This is true. So, so true.

Boolit Master
    I appreciate your kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    Ralph, very nice to see you posting. I commented to another member just this week that I missed your erudite input. Especially that I found a unicorn last week - a pound of green dot!

HT,

We got a load of GreenDot in these parts. PM me.

Boolit Master
    Ran across this interesting approach to pulling an unslit shotcup away from the shotcharge. In essence using a drag to create the effect of a flite control wad!

ShotCup with Droge:

http://underhammers.blogspot.com/201...ten-magic.html
    Last edited by RMc; 08-12-2018 at 02:56 AM.

Banned

Yes indeed

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    Yes indeed
    Thank you.

Boolit Grand Master

I wanted to add that I have personally tried quite a bit to make my own "flite-control" wads. I only got moderate success, and all were a PITA. I tried with multi-metal, turkey ranger, sam 1, and VP70 (now PT series from BPI) wads. I found quickly that slitting the gas seal does nothing. On Federal flitecontrol wads, the gas seal section is about 1" long. They end up like a real shuttle cock when fired, and honestly, I bet they could release shot with that alone, without the cuts in the wad body. A regular gas seal does nothing to slow or stabilize the wad, slit or not. Next, multi-metals are next to impossible to slit in this fashion. The best result I got was with the VP70, however, patterns were not significantly tighter than regular slits. Usually the 4 slits 3/4 the way down like most slit wads come give about the best patterns. I sometimes find that going down to 3 slits 3/4 the way down can improve patterns. I have yet to find a load that patterns best with 2 slits. A big problem I had with my flitecontrol wads was that if the slits were off, they would throw strings of patterns. A wad that stays with the shot longer should throw tighter patterns, but its not worth anything if the shot doesn't release cleanly from the wad. As I said, I had moderate success with the VP70. Slit with rear brakes, it did throw a tighter pattern than the same load with 4 slits. The thing is that the same load with a turkey ranger wad and 4 slits throws an even tighter pattern. I did most of this testing with #5 lead shot, and was hoping to maximize my gun for turkey. I shot the Multi-metal wads with #3 steel shot. That steel shot load was absolutely terrible. Very inconsistent, and an absolute pain to slit in that manner.

I'll be honest, I have not read this whole thread, but will list my favorite buckshot load. It's probably the best patterning load I have ever shot through my Benelli Nova, and with an extended full choke. I would feel confident taking a coyote at 60 yards, and I'm sure it would be lethal at 70 as well.

3" Federal PB (plastic base)
    Federal 209A
    32gr Bluedot
    Ranger Elite (new version of Turkey ranger, only comes pre slit 4 times) If spacers are needed, I use 20 ga felt wads *80 pounds wad pressure*
    1 3/4 oz F buck (I use regular buck, and get great patterns. BPI has nickel-plated #F if you prefer. I forget my exact count but 1 3/4 oz should be about 49 pellets)
    BPI original buffer
    Fold crimp

I have never shot these over a chrony, but pressure should be about 10,800 psi, and velocity 1150 fps.
    B

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast