Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load DataPBcastcoRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: High performance buckshot - revisited...

Boolit Master

High Performance #5 Western Buckshot

There seems to be a great deal of interest about high performance
    #5 Western Buckshot, also known as Eastern #1 Buckshot. Perhaps it would be worthwhile to take a look at what has already been posted:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...mance-buckshot

"...Dixie Slugs, 12 gauge 2 3/4" 1 Buck Special.

The powder charge is 32 grs (2.8 cc) of Alliant Blue Dot - LBC43mm wad - 16 #1 BPI hard buckshot (stacked two on two) - vel 1220'/" - 10,700 psi.- Cheddite straight walled hull.

There seems to still be quite a few fine 2 3/4"guns out there! This load's pattern was tested by Joey Saunders out of a Remington 1100 (.690" full choke). This load put 8 #1's inside of a 10" circle at a measured 40 yards.*

As I have said before...it does not matter how many buckshot (or shot) is in the load! What does matter is how many buckshot (or shot) it puts into a 10" kill circle at 40 yards.

This is another load recipe I wil post since it has been pressure tested. We have enough loads posted that have not been pressure tested. The recipe must be followed exact
    Regards, James"
    ----------------------------------------------

Just a few points to clarify:

This is a Roll Crimp load put up in new primed Cheddite hulls using Precision Spherical Buffer, (PSB), and a standard overshot card wad. The wad must be slit twice** straight down to just above the inside base - just follow the mold line on each side. I find that a fixed blade carpet cutter, (no blade wobble), with a rounded edge standard box cutter blade installed works well for this. Be sure to dust the wad inside and out with powdered mica.

Medical bandage shears also work quite well for slitting wad petals.

Lastly, this is a very easy load to assemble. The 16 thirty caliber pellets literally self stack in two pellet layers when poured into the shell.

*Note: The 2.75" chambered Remington 1100 has sufficient action length to feed the longer 2.75" roll crimped shells. But is set up to eject only 2.75" hulls regardless of the original crimp type. It is also best to keep the maximum pellet weight to 1.5 ounces or less.

** A linear spread of pellets is often a sign of wad tumbling and irregular pellet release.

***Slitting the wad into a four petal configuration works well also.

Point: It is critical to make the cuts straight, especially so when using just two wad slits.

RMc
    Last edited by RMc; 02-24-2021 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Clarify

Boolit Master
    Here is a 3" version of this Roll Crimp #1B load from the Dixie Slugs Website. This pressure tested load uses the LBC50 wad with 18 pellets and again 32 grains of Blue Dot. Velocity runs 1150 FPS. Use PSB buffer and dust the wads inside and out with mica.

From the picture you can see the two pellet stack pattern which leaves space for the pellets to flow smoothly through full choke constrictions.

Note: Both this and the 2.75" load are designed around full .30 caliber pellets weighing 40 to 41 grains each.

Current commercial loaded #1B rounds use pellets as small as .285" weighing as little as 33 grains each. About 20% lighter per pellet from true nominal diameter.

RMc

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	437_buckspecial.jpg 
Views:	397 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	91106
    Last edited by RMc; 02-24-2021 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Clarify

Boolit Bub
    Thank you.

I personally am going to try these.

I have been reading buckshot and some slug threads from the last page and working my way to the newest threads.

Trying to learn.

Will be using BPI's super buckshot #1

Boolit Master

Just remember that today:

"Buckshot is simply lead shot formed to larger diameters. Sizes range in ascending order from size B to Tri-Ball."

That is according to Nuclead Co. Inc. and Sharp Manufacturing
    http://www.nuclead.com/leadshotapps.html

Boolit Bub
    How many grains of buffer in each load?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blair View Post
    How many grains of buffer in each load?
    Sufficient to just cover the top layer of pellets.

Boolit Bub
    Thank you.

Boolit Master

Delayed Wad Opening and tighter patterns

The reason for using the stiff walled LBC series wads, with just two slits, is to delay the wad opening. And, a delayed wad opening tends to hold a tighter pattern from Cylinder and Imp. Cyl. choke bore shotguns shotguns.
    Last edited by RMc; 11-05-2019 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Clarify

Boolit Master
    Ballistic Products has just added an Unskived 2 3/4 inch Cheddite primed hull to their line up. Unskived hulls make it easier to achieve a superior roll crimp.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Che...nfo/139127010/

Boolit Master

RMc,
    Is there any performance/pressure difference in a rolled crimp vs. a tight star crimp in any load, not just this one. Thank You.

In Remembrance

Dixie Slugs, 12 gauge 2 3/4" 1 Buck Special.

new primed 2.75” Cheddite straight walled hull.

32 grs (2.8 cc) of Alliant Blue Dot –
    LBC43mm wad: wad must be slit twice down to the inside base - just follow the mold line on each side, dust the wad inside and out with powdered mica –
    16 #1 BPI hard buckshot (stacked two on two) – (640gr, just <1.5oz)
    Precision Spherical Buffer Sufficient to just cover the top layer of pellets -
    overshot card wad, Roll Crimp—
    vel 1220'/" - 10,700 psi.

There seems to still be quite a few fine 2 3/4"guns out there! This load's pattern was tested by Joey Saunders out of a Remington 1100 (.690" full choke). This load put 8 #1's inside of a 10" circle at a measured 40 yards.

3" version

new primed 3” Cheddite straight walled hull.
    32 grs (2.8 cc) of Alliant Blue Dot –
    LBC50 mm wad: wad must be slit twice down to the inside base - just follow the mold line on each side, dust the wad inside and out with powdered mica –
    18 #1 BPI hard buckshot (stacked two on two) – (720gr, just<1.75oz)
    Precision Spherical Buffer Sufficient to just cover the top layer of pellets -
    overshot card wad, Roll Crimp—
    vel 1150 ’/" - ?? psi.

LBC43: http://www.ballisticproducts.com/LBC-43mm-12ga-wad-unslit-250_bag/productinfo/0729043/

LBC50: http://www.ballisticproducts.com/LBC-50mm-12ga-wad-unslit-250_bag/productinfo/0729050/

#1 Buckshot: http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Super-Buck-Lead-1-8-lb_jar-300/productinfo/SBK01/
    (nickel plated: http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Nickel-Plated-lead-buckshot-4-8-lbs/productinfo/NP04B/ )
    8lbs=1360pellets= ~77 x3” or 85 x2.75” loads.
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

In Remembrance

So, anyone want to go in on a bag of each wad? or have a few to sell?

bags are 250 wads each, and 8# of pellets gives btw 77 and 85 loads. I'd like to try some, but dont need an extra 170 wads around. Already too much clutter around here!

Or, I suppose another was could be used, but wouldnt be pressure tested then.

Just wondering.
    C-
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

Quote Originally Posted by cpileri View Post
    So, anyone want to go in on a bag of each wad? or have a few to sell?

bags are 250 wads each, and 8# of pellets gives btw 77 and 85 loads. I'd like to try some, but dont need an extra 170 wads around. Already too much clutter around here!

Or, I suppose another was could be used, but wouldnt be pressure tested then.

Just wondering.
    C-
    Funny to see this come back to the top, as I started the original thread linked in the 1st post and have been doing some playing around with this load recently.

If you want just 75 of the LBC50, shoot me a PM and we can work out a deal...I have some I would let go.

Here is a target I shot over the weekend, testing different wad slitting configurations. This one is 4 petals, slit 3/4 of the way down in a 3" Remington Hull. The Remington Hull had a tad more volume than the Chedite/Multi-Hull, so I surmised they would be interchangeable (and I chose to use only 30grns of Blue Dot). I also fold crimped these, since I don't have a roll crimper yet. It's a tight fit, but I get a decent (although quite flat) crimp from my PW 375c. There are 11 pellets inside 6" and 15 inside 8" @35 yards. #16 is inside the 12" circle and #17 is right on the line. I think this will be a great pattern out to 50+ (I plan to use it for coyotes), but I shot up the last of my #1 buck during this testing, so I am done for a bit and can't pattern it at 50 until I resupply. The gun is a Benelli M2, 21" with a Kick's 0.670 Gobblin Thunder choke. Everyone said it would be over-choked, but it is a fantastic combo. I used a triangle for the aiming area to match my Leupold Delta Point.

Last edited by 5Shot; 08-19-2014 at 05:31 PM.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

In Remembrance

thanks 5shot, but I got the wad thing worked out. I'll be testing these and a few other loads i've been working on the last few months over the next couple weeks.
    Will report back, of course.
    C-

Boolit Man
    I have been loading 00 buck for a smooth bore shotgun using conventional wads with the petals cut off to accommodate 9 pellets. I am not very happy with my patterns (4-5" at 30', but opens up to about 10" at 45'). I am very interested in experimenting with those LBC wads, or even Gualandi's MG42 to get tighter groups, but don't have load data. Is BPI's "Advantages Manual" a good resource to get?

Boolit Buddy
    Hi Mojo,

BPI does sell a Buckshot manual, so I guess that would be the one to get. I have an older version, and it's useful. Everyone is always saying that you shouldn't just substitute buckshot for regular shot loads, because of pressure differences. However, I've found there isn't much difference there---it's really just a matter volume. MG42 is a great buckshot wad, by the way. It's called STS in some of the older BPI loads. Check out the free load data in the Load of the Week Archives at the BPI web site; some nice MG42 loads there!

I don't know that I would buy any manuals from BPI - I wasn't all that happy with the Buckshot Manual. Lots of hard to get components and not a wide variety of hulls. I would just follow the load above and call it good. If you need some info on a load using a certain hull, send me a PM and I will see what is in the manual.

Boolit Buddy
    Have to admit---I didn't buy the BPI buckshot manual, either. I found a pdf of an older edition, posted online, for free. Sorry to say, I don't have the link, but there are all kinds of free resources out there!
    Here's the Load of the Week for the MG42 wad, with some great loads that can easily be converted to buckshot (I've tried a few of them, and they are rather "brisk"): http://www.ballisticproducts.com/load13_09_26.htm

Here's one LOTW for buckshot (there are several): http://www.ballisticproducts.com/load13_03_25.htm

They feature the wads and gas seals that BPI sells, though many can be found at other places. That's not necessarily a bad thing---no one else provides load data for excellent components like the Gualandi Brush Wads.
    Last edited by FullTang; 08-26-2014 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FullTang View Post
    They feature the wads and gas seals that BPI sells, though many can be found at other places. That's not necessarily a bad thing---no one else provides load data for excellent components like the Gualandi Brush Wads.
    True, if you are looking for loads using those specialized components, those manuals are the way to go. If you think you will get info using commonly available components (which is why I bought it some years ago) you will be disappointed. I am sticking to the info provided by James and am quite happy. Two different wads (for buckshot and Tri-ball) and the buckshot itself are the only things I can't get locally.
    Last edited by 5Shot; 08-26-2014 at 01:01 PM.

Boolit Man
    Fulltang,

Thank you for the info regarding BPI's load of the week! I did not know it existed.

5Shot,

I will PM you...thanks!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast