Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: High performance buckshot - revisited...

Boolit Mold
    I am trying to find/develop a load for 12 ga 2 3/4" Remington Gun Club once fired hulls using LBC 43mm wads. I have read that the hulls are similar enough to AAs that the data is also very simiar (subject to verification). So far, I have just used AA clone hulls and am really looking for better grouping control. I see that this thread is pretty old. Any info steering me to reference materials would be greatly appreciated.

Boolit Master
    if it were me I'd be contacting ballistic products for load data. that's the only place ive ever seen anything about those limited barrel contact wads. they were designed for steel shot so there could be very limited to non existent data for lead shot. but me, I'm a very conservative shot shell reloader and pretty much stick to reliable published data for any shot shell loads I put together.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by K0EXN View Post
    I am trying to find/develop a load for 12 ga 2 3/4" Remington Gun Club once fired hulls using LBC 43mm wads. I have read that the hulls are similar enough to AAs that the data is also very simiar (subject to verification). So far, I have just used AA clone hulls and am really looking for better grouping control. I see that this thread is pretty old. Any info steering me to reference materials would be greatly appreciated.
    Have you found load data for an LBC43 in a Winchester hull? I really doubt you will. All the LBC wads are made for straight wall hulls, and I don't think you will be able to seat them in a tapered hull like a Winchester AA or Remington GC.

They won't even fit that hull.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Boolit Mold
    That's really what I need to hear. Years ago, the only hulls I used were AAs. Now my uses have changed and my useful knowlege needs attention. I guess I should ask is there a similar wad that is suitable for the hulls I am using? Is there a wad that starts out unslit where I can choose the amount of length of and number of petals separated?

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, there is an unslit wad you can use. It is the BP12, link below. These are paired with the BPGS gas seal, and any spacers needed. My favorite spacers are 20 gauge 1/8" felt wads, which you can put in the bottom of the shot cup. Since those are out of stock, I'm going to recommend 20ga 1/8" cork wads, which are as good, if not better for this purpose. Swapping hulls is is not something you want to go into easily. I personally have no problem swapping Winchester AA and Remington Gun Club though. They are nearly identical internally, and produce nearly identical pressures. What you do not want to swap is the primer. Pictured below is a load I found quickly in an old Ballistic Products slug and buckshot manual. This should be a good load for what you want to do. Note that it is a buffered load, which is something you definitely want if you are looking for tightening buckshot patterns. In this manual, they are using what is called mix #47, which you can still buy from Ballistic Products. You safely load that without buffer, but adding it to buckshot is easy. Lastly, you will note that load is listed as 1 1/2 oz. It is safe to load an equal weight or less of buckshot, but it does take up more room than small bird shot. 00 buckshot is around 50-54 grains per pellet. In this instance, I would load 12 pellets of 00 buck, which should be just shy of 1 1/2 ounces. The BP12 wad is a little short for that, but it might work. 00 buck is also a little big to stack inside the BP12 wad. Instead, let me recommend #1 buck, which I think is a much better choice for this load.

P.S. the load calls for an overshot card, which can often make crimps picture perfect. You do not need an overshot card. I use them sometimes, but just as often, I do not.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/BP...tinfo/3221203/
    https://www.ballisticproducts.com/BP...tinfo/3221200/
    https://www.ballisticproducts.com/BP...uctinfo/MIX47/
    https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Co...tinfo/1222820/

Boolit Grand Master

This does look like fun! One barrel buck and the other RB.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456