RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Problem with brand new .359 Mihec MP Mold

Problem with brand new .359 Mihec MP Mold

So I ran the gauntlet that is trying to get in touch with Mihec to get one of his molds after I heard so many good things about his hollow point molds. It finally showed up today and I have to say I was like a kid at Christmas when I saw the Slovenia return address.

I ran upstairs and began putting the few parts together, and I must be doing something wrong. When I put the pins into the mold, and try to close it, it won't close all the way. It seems like something at the bottom of the mold is preventing it from closing. If I look down through the cavity, I can actually see all the way through the mold. Is there some trick that I'm missing? I made sure to lube the pins, though some of them are pretty sticky and hard to move still...

Any advice at all? I admit, I'm still new to casting, and this is my first HP mold...

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Back the alignment pins (the small ones that go through the blocks) out of the HP pins about 1/2-3/4 turn (you should be able to tighten or loosen them easily with just your fingers). You can't tighten the alignment pins up until you cycle it a few times. Leave em a little loose so the HP pins can seat themselves and find center. (I never tighten them all the way.) That should do it.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

I have a .45 mold I just got, I did not know that about the pins. Good to know. Although mine worked as they were right out of the bag.

I never fully tighten the HP pins (two small guide pins) my MP molds. Just run them in until snug and back them out 1/8 turn or so. Keep lube on the pins. They will break in after a while.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    I never fully tighten the HP pins (two small guide pins) my MP molds. Just run them in until snug and back them out 1/8 turn or so. Keep lube on the pins. They will break in after a while.
    Yep. This is what I do as well.

Boolit Buddy

I smacked mine together with a rubber hammer and then preheated the mold and after a few casts it closes with out any extra effort.

Thanks for the advice, I backed off the alignment pins just a tad, and it closes up much better now. Thanks a ton. Going to try out the mold later this evening.

Boolit Grand Master
    I find that the lube is sticky at room temp. Get the mould hot and it smooths right out.

Your mould just needs some breaking in.

Boolit Grand Master

Your issue is really nothing more than proof of the precise tolerances held by Miha. It should work well with the above advice. Well, except for the advice to hit it with a hammer.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member