Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Youth .22 rifle

Boolit Master

Youth .22 rifle

My daughter is getting interested in learning how to shoot. My plan is to give her a nice .22 rifle for her 6th birthday next May. I cant find what im looking for. Unfortunately shes still quite small and very short LOP. Im looking for a bolt action single shot or around the 5rd capacity. Id like decent iron signts along with a drilled and tapped receiver for a scope at a later date if she chooses. Or atleast have good after market irons a a available for the chosen rifle. I feel like ill need two stocks, one to cut up to fit her now and the other for when shes done growing.
    Savage is about the closest to everything i can find.
    Last edited by Lefty SRH; 12-18-2013 at 10:06 PM.
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Grand Master
    CZ did make a youth model on their 452 action, I do not know if they still do or not. It always looked better to me than one of the Cricket sized rifles; sure they fit the 5-6 year olds, but the kids outgrow them very quickly.

Another option is to find an older bolt action and cut the barrel to about 18-20" and cut the stock for LOP, but it would be nice to have another stock for later. If you go this route, please refinish the rifle to make it look nice for your daughter.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    A CZ 452 scout will work for you. Bud's, Kentucky gun, and Whittakers has had some recently. If they're out then Gunbroker would be a good bet. They are an extremely popular rifle and sell out very fast when they become available.

Boolit Buddy
    cz scout is a great little gun. But I haven't seen one in years. For a really small girl I would look at the one of the little savage rifles with a thumb hole stock and peep sight and are drilled for scope, single shot only though but great accu- trigger and very light like less than 3 lbs- I like the model which is often pink with all metal feeding parts. Henry youth rifles are lots of fun and just plain work. I also like the new ruger American youth for $225. I would make a good or great trigger a big factor in what you pick. I mean a cheap 22 with a 10# trigger pull will never be accurate for anyone, expessially a child who is not nearly as strong as a grandpa. If you can take her shopping you will get the best fit for her.

Boolit Buddy
    Also the Browning Lever youth is really neat, but I found the lever too hard for a child to easily work.
    The decent little savage is this one Savage 13700 CUB 22S/L/LR AT YOUTH not the rascal or cricket or others. The CUB seems really nice and accurate, just terribly small for me, With a scope it would be great for a pack rifle. The savage is also available with a thumbhole stock as well.

Take a look at the Crickett 22lr youth rifle as it may fit your requirements. It is a bolt action single shot and you can get it with iron sights or with a scope. Very reasonable in price. I have bought 3 of them for my grandkids and have found all 3 to be very accurate with different brands of 22 ammo.
    They have them in blue steel, stainless steel and you can even get different colored stocks for the girls that do not want the standard colored stocks. As for the accuracy I mentioned above, with Eley sport or winchester T-22 ammo, 5 shot 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards is easy.
    Also the Henry 22lr lever action is a top choice also. Very smooth action and great accuracy. More money then the Crickett, but worth every penny. Winchester could take some lessons from Henry on building a glass smooth working action that the Henry has.
    Last edited by knifemaker; 12-22-2013 at 01:45 PM.

I bought my youngest Grandson a T/C HotShot break-open .22, similarly-looking to a Contender Carbine - with it's issue peep sight.

Worked out OK - but most youngsters will need the 2-different stocks/stock-length trick for just about any .22 rifle I know of.

http://www.chipmunkrifles.com/chipmunk_rifles.php I started both of my Grandsons with a 22 Chipmunk Rifle with peep sights. Worked out very well.

Boolit Buddy
    I'd say Marlin 25 YN, but it doesn't look like Marlin makes a little 22 anymore. I found Marlin's rifle to be nicer than the others.
    Good luck

Just bought my kids a Savage Rascal for Christmas. My oldest (daughter) is 6 and I have 3 boys following her, so no problem with my investment. It is well made for the price and comes with a peep and is drilled/tapped for a scope. It cocks on opening, so no issues with small fingers and plunger cocking knobs. Also comes with the accutrigger and is actually quite accurate! Only a single shot though, but is perfect to learn on. Will make a nice backpacking plinker for me once they've outgrown it, and should be around for my grandkids someday. For the price, I can afford to help them invest in larger sized rifles as they grow. Worth looking into!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    I'd say Marlin 25 YN, but it doesn't look like Marlin makes a little 22 anymore. I found Marlin's rifle to be nicer than the others.
    Good luck
    Bought one of these for my younger son, great little rifle. They show up used commonly enough.

Boolit Bub
    I have the Marlin 25 YN and the Savage Rascal. The Rascal is not quite as nice as the Marlin, but it is lighter and the peep sight really helps with my boys. They both shoot better with it. Great training gun for younger and/or smaller children.

I have a daisy legacy 2202 for each of my kids when they get older. The stock is adjustable so the rifle can grow with the child. They are kind of hard to find, but a very near little gun. The trigger and bolt come out with the push of a button for storage.
    If grasshoppers carried .45's the birds wouldnt mess with them.

Boolit Master

Ruger makes a youth model of the 10/22. When she gets older you can replace barrel and stock with full size parts. They are available used because so many modify the 10/22.

Boolit Master
    I suggest the rossi matched set. Bought both my son and daugther each one set last year for christmas. Paid 129$ for each set, with a 20$ mail in rebate dropping the final price down to 109$ + tax. Break open single shots, 22lr barrel has nice fiber optic sights and 410 shotgun barrel has just a brass bead for site. They have been great guns for them and are the perfect size for youngsters!!! Not too short for an adult either, been known to hijack one for use as a pack gun a few times this last year too!!! Would and do recommend them to everyone.

Also everyone that has seen them and shot them seems to be quite happy with them also!
    “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master

I have seen and held the Savage Cub and liked it, but that was a year ago. I kinda reget not buying it then but i wasnt sure what i thought she would need. The Cub isnt listed on the Savage website.
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Buddy
    no matter which one you choose, id suggest getting any of the small single shots. This way you can shoot the Shorts and Longs as well since the lack of .22 lr

Boolit Master

When my oldest grandson got interested in shooting I got a Mossberg Halfpint plinkster. The great thing about this rifle is that it comes with an adaptor that makes it a single shot. When he progressed I was able to remove that and get mags for the rifle. We also have a Crickett in pink. The granddaughters love that but the boys pick it last.

I got my daughters a Contender Carbine in 22lr when they were young. Make sure you get an easy-open frame for that application. I liked the fact that the Contender is modular enough to easily convert to something else when they grew out of it (longer buttstock, new cartridge, etc).

They are bigger now and have moved on to TC Hawken Muzzeloaders in 45. I added a slip on recoil pad to their old Contender Carbine to increase length of pull and now use it as a truck gun for work (beavers and porcupines). It wouldn't be all that hard or expensive to change it into a 30-30 or 223 carbine if I ever found myself needing another centerfire rifle for one of them.

-ktw

Boolit Master

Attachment 91395right now there is a nice single shot J.C. Higgins .22 on gunbroker...I have one just like it..had it since I was 12 and still shoot it......
    it does not cock on closing..you have to pull back the knob at the back of the bolt to cock it...other than that it is a very good first gun IMHO...and the stock should be short enough for your daughter.....at gunbroker type in J.C. Higgins .22 single shot
    atr
    Last edited by atr; 12-23-2013 at 12:22 PM.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !