RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Wideners Load Data
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Made more Ben's Red today.

Boolit Buddy
    Interested in how tough the 'extra Beeswax' lube is on boolits, as I often post out Ben's Red lubed cast boolits for friends. The 'original' recipe was a little soft for the rough-and-tumble of postal delivery during Summer, so I always included a little baggy of 'Red for the users to squeeze into any lube rings where the lube was bashed-out by postage.

So I do wonder if a pinch more Beewax would 'travel' better. And your 62.5% Beeswax mix - if you could let me know before you cut it back

Quote Originally Posted by htuong95 View Post
    This is my first time making lube. I added too much beeswax. Instead of 55% beeswax that I was planning to use, I ended up putting 62.5%. Hopefully the 62.5% will not have any adverse effect on the lube. Worst case, I can just add 7.5% to each of the other ingredients right?

Attachment 115773Attachment 115774Attachment 115775

I corrected my mistake yesterday. I remelted my lube and added more of the other ingredients. It is now at 55% beeswax.

Boolit Mold
    Would a Pyrex chemistry beaker, marked to 1200 ml, hold up to the wisk/mixer tool? Seems a convenient size, permanent volume marking, and able to see them. Or just use an inside marked metal pot if Pyrex might break. Dave

Boolit Master

I played around with the extra beeswax last spring in my 45-70...I added it per lube stick at 5% and 10%...I found the 5% more bw better...5% my groups really closed up nicely. . at 10% they started opening back up

Boolit Master

I used this recipe taken from this site. Double boiler scrounged from the dump swap shop, electric hot plate and wire whisk.

BEN'S RED

24 ozs. = 3 cups - melted beeswax
    14 ozs. = 1 3/4 cups - Lucas Red " N " Tacky grease ( 1- 14 oz. tube)
    4.6 ozs. = 2/3 cup - Johnson Paste Wax - melted
    2.3 ozs. = 1/3 cup - S. T. P. Oil Treatment
    2.3 ozs. = 1/3 cup - Dexron II or III Automatic Trans. Fluid

Note : 1/3 cup is equal to 5-tablespoons + 1 teaspoon. ATF and STP can bemeasured with spoons easier than than cup.
    If you want a larger batch simply double all measurements.

Hope this helps you fellow lube makers.. and a big THANK YOU to Ben for sharinghis majic formula with us.....gary
    P. S. this is the original formula based on 50% / 30% / 10% / 5% / 5%.

Worked fantastic as poured into my Lyman 450 and as a pan lube poured into a 4 inch can that boot lube came with.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    I used this recipe taken from this site. Double boiler scrounged from the dump swap shop, electric hot plate and wire whisk.

BEN'S RED

24 ozs. = 3 cups - melted beeswax
    14 ozs. = 1 3/4 cups - Lucas Red " N " Tacky grease ( 1- 14 oz. tube)
    4.6 ozs. = 2/3 cup - Johnson Paste Wax - melted
    2.3 ozs. = 1/3 cup - S. T. P. Oil Treatment
    2.3 ozs. = 1/3 cup - Dexron II or III Automatic Trans. Fluid

Note : 1/3 cup is equal to 5-tablespoons + 1 teaspoon. ATF and STP can bemeasured with spoons easier than than cup.
    If you want a larger batch simply double all measurements.

Hope this helps you fellow lube makers.. and a big THANK YOU to Ben for sharinghis majic formula with us.....gary
    P. S. this is the original formula based on 50% / 30% / 10% / 5% / 5%.

Worked fantastic as poured into my Lyman 450 and as a pan lube poured into a 4 inch can that boot lube came with.
    Thanks for posting the recipe in "weights & measures". I don't do well with "parts" but that's just me. When I use up my current lube I'm going to make up some of Ben's.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345