WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Made more Ben's Red today.

Boolit Grand Master
    igolfat8

Works real well as a pan lube, would be great for your pan lubing application ( not tumble lube ).

Boolit Master

I cook mine outside if I cooked on the inside she would never forget and we would have hallsex for no telling how many eons.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master
    I made my first TWO batches yesterday. I did 1 lb on the first go around and 1/2 lb on the second. Why ? Well the important thing I found is heating the grease SLOOOWLY as Ben Clearly stated. I dumped everything into the pot and cooked away. Im not sure if it was the JPW or the bees wax started to turn brown as it was boiling. I stirred the mix and lowered the heat to medium on the electric hot plate. Had to raise again to get the grease to melt and also had some foaming. When all was done and poured into pan, the foam may have been all the JPW, smelled like it. I just decided to start again and melt the grease first SLOOwly on medium and stirring, then added the stp and dextron while stirring. When it was all looking good I added the bee's wax and stired till it was melted. The mix looks better, more red anyway.
    We shall see how this works on the shooting range.

Just FYI, If you ever was stuck on the interstate in August, in Alabama or Tennessee at 2pm in 120' temp and had the windows down and was stop and go as you came up to the paving truck all smoking as they were paving the lane, and then traffic just STOPPED ! That's what the Grease melting reminded me of... just FYI !

Almost forgot, On the good side it was cold enough or the stink of the grease kept the Bee's away. None, Nada !

Bee safe, good luck, Mike
    Last edited by myg30; 12-30-2013 at 08:27 PM. Reason: im stupid

Boolit Grand Master
    Leaning over your pot and selling the odors that you describe isn't something I'd recommend.

However, the finished product works well and is worth your efforts.

I think you can see why I've BEGGED people not to make this inside their homes.

Ben

Boolit Master
    AMEN !! I tried to stay up wind as best as possible but you know its a 20/80 gamble ! There isn't a kitchen exhaust fan big enough or bad enough to ever remotely dream of doing that inside ever, even if the house was empty, condemned and on fire !!
    Just saying ...

Mike

Boolit Grand Master
    Well spoken.

Now......We will see if anyone is reading this and listening to our advice ? I hope so.
    Last edited by Ben; 12-30-2013 at 10:50 PM.

Boolit Bub
    About to start casting here pretty soon. Doing all my research before getting started. This seams to be a well liked general purpose lube. (Or is it designed for a specific speed or pressure?) my question is, where can these ingredients be bought? I have never even heard of some of them. Also where do you get bees wax from? Is there a certain way to mix/cook these ingredients? Thanks for all the help.

Boolit Master
    Welcome arrow. What part of the world are you located in ? Start here http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...en-s-Red-today. Then this one.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...king-Ben-s-Red
    Should have everything. Also at the top of lube section there are stickies on lubes. Lots good info too ! At the bottom of the page there is a section call Cast Boolit notes from Lasc.us , there is a tremendous wealth of info there for your learning benefit. Check it out too.

Enjoy and be safe, Mike
    Last edited by myg30; 01-05-2014 at 12:21 PM. Reason: added link

Quote Originally Posted by Arrow View Post
    About to start casting here pretty soon. Doing all my research before getting started. This seams to be a well liked general purpose lube. (Or is it designed for a specific speed or pressure?) my question is, where can these ingredients be bought? I have never even heard of some of them. Also where do you get bees wax from? Is there a certain way to mix/cook these ingredients? Thanks for all the help.
    I cook all my lube in a little 1 1/2 quart slow cooker you can buy new for $15. Don't know why anyone would use anything else.
    For this Bens Stinkin lube. Eclectic is easy to get set up outside. Preferably downwind of the house.

Boolit Bub
    Thank for all the help. I will keep reading. I am currently in North Carolina for another month but will be moving to Bozeman, Montana. Looking forward to starting casting.

Boolit Grand Master
    Arrow

Ummm, take a heavy coat with you.

Ben

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyM View Post
    I cook all my lube in a little 1 1/2 quart slow cooker you can buy new for $15. Don't know why anyone would use anything else.
    For this Bens Stinkin lube. Eclectic is easy to get set up outside. Preferably downwind of the house.
    Gabby, I was thinking of using a crock pot, good to see that one will work.

Boolit Master

Not to question a good thing, but I'm wondering why the choice of STP oil treatment in the mix? From what I gather it is mostly mineral oil with alot of zinc compounds in it. What does it bring to the party that the Red & Tacky doesn't take care of?
    And has anybody replaced the JPW with straight carnuba wax?

Baja I used a spoon full of carnauba flakes. in a one pound batch. Just takes a little.
    STP I think is there for the zinc. Just my assumption.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
    Not to question a good thing, but I'm wondering why the choice of STP oil treatment in the mix? From what I gather it is mostly mineral oil with alot of zinc compounds in it. What does it bring to the party that the Red & Tacky doesn't take care of?
    And has anybody replaced the JPW with straight carnuba wax?
    You feel free to make any substitutions that you'd like.

I'm not a chemist or a chemical engineer, so I'm not certain I can offer an accurate answer to your questions.

All I know ( and thousands of other shooters ) is it works.

Ben

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    You feel free to make any substitutions that you'd like.

I'm not a chemist or a chemical engineer, so I'm not certain I can offer an accurate answer to your questions.

All I know ( and thousands of other shooters ) is it works.

Ben
    Good enough answer for me Ben - Like I said, I don't want to second guess a good thing - and for years all I have read here is that Ben's Red works great.
    Since JPW is hard to come by, and I have a can of carnuba flakes on hand, I'll give that substitution a try and keep everything else the same.

Boolit Grand Master
    Let us know how it works.

Best to you,

Ben

Boolit Master

Not that Ben's Red needs my endorsement but it is a very good boolit lube. I don't shoot real high velocity loads but in my .30 calibers up to the .50 caliber 500 grain rifle boolits it has worked extremely well. I made some molds from 1" PVC pipe with a rod down the center and use it in my Lubersizer and it just plain works. I tried to make it as exact to the recipe as I could. It is a little soft and I have considered adding a touch more beeswax to mine to make it a tad harder but it works good as it is.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Grand Master
    The more I read other people's experiences, the more I think the 50% Beeswax needs to be bumped to at least 55%.

Ben

Boolit Grand Master
    cure for the problem have your wife make the lube
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast