RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sticker Shock

Boolit Buddy

Sticker Shock

I keep wanting a Star. I have off and on for almost 40 years. When I first felt the need shooting IPSC they had about a 2 year wait from what I was told.

Just checked on one again.
    Bare Lube/Sizer $325
    Dies $47 a pop X .358, .401, .430, .452, and .475 = $235
    Heater $105

We are at $665 to just get back to where I am at with my old LAM. Not counting Shipping.

Now for Desert:
    Add another $100 for Air Feed
    Add another $120 for the basic Bullet Feeder.
    Not sure what it would cost to get the bullet feeder to work on everything on my list that I cast for. Probably only need it for .358, .401, and .452. The .430 and .475 are not high volume bullets.

It does cost a little more to go first class.

I am thinking that piecing one together over a period of time might not hurt the billfold nearly as much.

STEP ONE: Basic sizer + 1 die set, I could run a softer bullet lube llike BAC that does not need a heater to start with.
    STEP TWO: Add Sizer Dies from Lathsmith one at a time.
    STEP THREE: Add a Heater if I decide to go back to Carnuba Red

By now you could decide if you want Air Feed or not. Possibly build it yourself.
    By the time I have used one for a while and done more research I should have a handle on if I need a Bullet Feeder.

I am thinkling that pieceing one together is probably the best plan on a Retired Budget.

Bob

Maybe you could find something used? That $$$would buy lots of boolits!

Boolit Master
    Viper your post is timely. Later today I am going to order a Star. The only item I am going to add is the bullet feeder.
    I am going to build my own heater, air system. Plans for the feeder are in this section. A lot cheaper and like you said added slowly so it doesn't hurt so bad. Kevin

Boolit Master
    Would be easier on the pocket book but will add to shipping cost in the long run.
    I have 2 Star's Sizers some of their dies and one special made by Lathesmith.
    NRA Life Member

I have six Star Lube/sizers that I've accumulated over the years. I've loaned one long term to my casting partner, and all it has is the heater and sizing dies. He loves it.

I've got my others set up for my own use. Three of them have bullet feeders, and two of them don't, but they all have heaters. None of them have air feed, though.

I love the bullet feeders, but I don't love filling tubes with bullets. It takes almost as long to fill the tubes as it would to feed the bullets by hand into the machine, but like I said, I love the bullet feeders, so I do it. It also gives me a chance to inspect the bullets prior to sizing, though.

For filling the tubes, I built myself a wooden contraption about 18" long, and about 2" wide. It's a long wooden box, with sides about 1 1/2" high all around. I routed two grooves the length of it in the bottom that are just barely wider than a bullet. I drilled two holes in one end for the tubes to fit into for filling that are aligned with the grooves in the bottom of the box. I dump a handful of bullets into the box and shake it around until the grooves are filled. I flip the bullets over so they're all facing the same way (they go into the tubes bottom first), then inspect them and remove any that aren't "perfect". I put a tube in one of the holes and hold a finger over the other column of bullets to keep them from sliding out, and then tip the box up and the unencumbered column of bullets slides merrily into the tube, filling it almost half full. Then I move the tube to the other hole and tip up the box and the second column slides into the tube. I do this while watching the evening news on TV, and then while the pablum that passes for entertainment the rest of the evening is on, I go to my shop and size and lube bullets. It's simple and works for me, and maybe it will work for others.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

If your not in too big of a hurry, I have five original Stars that I'm in the process of rebuilding. I won't have them ready till some time in January. The price will be $250 plus shipping for the bare lubesizer.

Bruce

Boolit Master

I would start with the sizer and a couple set of dies. With multiple dies you should get the die removal/installation tool. You can use the harder lubes by heating up the sizer with a hair dryer at first.The heater is a good idea but get one with adjustable heat or use a PID control for the one without a thermostat.
    Also set the sizer up to lube with the bullet going in nose first. It is much quicker to get the bullet into the die with your hand. With the plain sizer you should be able to easily lube 500-750 bullets per hour.
    I have owned a Star Lubri-sizer for 30 years and shoot Bullseye pistol. I have not seen the need for bullet feeders or pneumatic operation.
    With the Star over a RCBS or Lyman luber you think you will have died and went to heaven. I have an RCBS that I use for some sizing of less used bullets. I despise to use it.

I found BAC needs a little heat to operate well. I purchased an aftermarket air feed from someone on this forum. I use a Lyman heater and a dimmer switch. The air feed and heater cost a little more than $100. My dies come from Lathesmith. Purchasing Magma products is more costly.

Never saw the need for an air system or bullet feed. If the lube gets too stiff I just put a clamp light with incandescent bulb close to it for 10-15 min. It warms it up and usually stays flowing for the rest of the session.

Boolit Bub
    Its not allways about needs!! Sometimes its about wants!!

I first size nose first in the Lee sizer then lube in the RCBS Lubrasizer using a non cupped flat bullet punch. Its not a high volume setup, but it works good enough for me.

I finally scored a star this year. I'm having a hard time biting the bullet on buying dies though. I don't usually cast/size shoot in large batches. If I run 500 in one batch, that's a BIG batch for me.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Theodore Roosevelt

You are right about wants. Sometimes I do things just because it's fun. I just haven't had a want for those upgrades yet.... The Star really is an excellent machine that makes things easy.

Boolit Buddy
    Looks like I have a reconditioned one on order from Bruce.
    His price of $250 does not sound too bad considering it will be rebuilt, cleaned, and repainted when I get it.
    January delivery, which is good, I can recover from Christmas before paying for it.

I believe Bruce still has 4 more left.

Bob

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    For filling the tubes, I built myself a wooden contraption about 18" long, and about 2" wide. I dump a handful of bullets into the box and shake it around until the grooves are filled. I put a tube in one of the holes and hold a finger over the other column of bullets to keep them from sliding out, and then tip the box up and the unencumbered column of bullets slides merrily into the tube, filling it almost half full. Then I move the tube to the other hole and tip up the box and the second column slides into the tube.
    Fred
    Do you have a picture of said contraption?
    Thanks,
    Chuck.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    Just think, a Star loader in the 1960's cost about $1100. Now you can buy a Dillon 550 which is a better machine for the middle 400's and the dollar is worth way less. I don't remember what a Star lubrisizer cost back then but dollar for dollar it was way more than it is now.

Banned

l paid 715$ TTD. Now iam building a foot pedal assist.

I bought a second one off friend, just the unit, for $285. Its original one from san diego ca.. Great condition.

When l get another 300$ i amgonna buy a mrbulletfeeder.biz collator nose dwn feed.

The stuff will hold its value,

Boolit Master
    Well, when you find out if and when Mr. Bulletfeeder is ever going to produce a nose drop feeder, please post it here. I tried in earnest a year ago to find out if they were going to tweek their unit to work, I just got BS. Maybe they aren't interested in cast boolit guys. Rod

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Rebuilt Star on order from Bruce for $266.40 delivered.
    I have my Air Kit on order from RedNeck Machine for $40.
    I picked up my Air Regulator at Manards for about $20 yesterday.
    Looks like I will start making Die and Top Punch orders from Lathsmith at $42 shipped, Top Punch $15 and Nut $4.
    I will use the Lyman Heater that is on my LAM for the moment.

Looks like I will be up and running in 38 Special with air feed on my Lube for $387.40

A little reading on this site can save you money, and come up with custom products to boot.

Bob

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    'Sounds like you're on the way, Bob! Post some pics when you get 'er all set up and running.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast