Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need suggestions to remove 116 year old screw.

Need suggestions to remove 116 year old screw.

I removed the tang sight from my Great Uncle Clem's Winchester '94 30-30 so I can put it on my Great Grandfather's Winchester '94 32-40 which I shoot a lot. The rear tang screw came out just fine. It's the large one that threads into the bottom tang and has a pretty large head and slot. The front screw is the problem. Apparently this gun was drilled and tapped back when it was built for a tang site. However it's pretty small, the head is about 1/8 inch in diameter and has a pretty thin slot. I have a screwdrive bit that fits perfectly, but the screw won't budge. I really don't want to bugger up an old screw, I want to put the screws back in the other rifle. I don't know enough about complete disassembly, and remove the stock to soak the screw from the underside. Other than "take it to a gunsmith" are there any suggestions?

Boolit Master

If you have the rear tang screw out the stock is ready to come off. Pull it gently in line with the upper and lower tang. Soaking the screw from the top and bottom with Kroil is what I would do. Give it a day or so and gently try your screwdriver.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

Boolit Buddy

I would start with soaking the screw in oil.

If that doesn't work a little heat may help. You will need to take the stock off for that.

Also tapping the screw driver as you try and turn it can help.

Rick, thanks for your quick reply. When I saw 2 other screw heads in the bottom tang along with the lever disconnect stud and what looks like it could be the rounded thread end of another screw, I thought there might be a lot of other stuff in there to worry about. It sounds like you've done this before, so I'll attempt to take the stock off tomorrow. Bob

I wouldn't use heat. Too much and you can mess up the bluing. I would pull the stock, and then soak the screw with Kroil or MMO for a few hours or so.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    ATF and acetone mixed 50-50 by volume actually works better than Kroil or Liquid Wrench, but it raises hell with stock finishes, so just apply a drop with an eye dropper and wipe any spillage off the wood immediately.

I don't have any Kroil, but I do have acetone and ATF. I'll try that first. Thanks!

Boolit Master
    lyman is making those sights again. why not get a new one and have a tag sight on both rifles?

bob208, thanks for the suggestion. I already have the vintage lyman tang sight off the 30-30 and don't really have plans to shoot it. I had Tom at Accurate Molds make me an excellent mold for the 32-40 and it's exceptionally accurate. The screws weren't that tight on the 30-30, it's the front tang screw on the 32-40 that's giving me trouble. Bob

Boolit Grand Master

50-50 ATF and acetone. Soak for several days. Spend the time and effort to either
    find a real gunsmith blade that exactly fits the slot, or grind one to an exact fit with
    precisely parallel sides, no angle. Then the gun needs to go into a padded vise or
    workmate to hold it dead solid. Smack the screwdriver with a hammer a few times
    to help loosen it, then use a wrench on the screwdriver and put your body weight
    into it to hold it into place. It should give up.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

@ MtGun44: The advice to have an exact fitting tool for these old fasteners is spot on. Thanks for that timely reminder.

I like the Kroil replacement recipe, too

DRNurse1

Education is one thing you can give away freely while suffering no personal loss and likely increasing one's own knowledge.

Properly vetted source information prevents GIGO, the scourge of the internet.

Kroil and an impact driver has removed every rusted screw Ive ever come across. I bought my impact driver in the 70s, so its removed a lot of stuck screws. Make sure you have the proper fitting bit for the screw head.

and they cost a bunch too

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece...set-93481.html
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

+1 on this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Impact Driver.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	91265

I recently was cleaning up a 1901 Colt Bisley and couldn't get the ejector rod housing screw to budge from its place of 112 years. After literally running a really sharp screwdriver bit into the palm of my hand, I remembered the little impact driver. A proper fitting screwdriver tip and a few light whacks later, and the screw was out.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Make sure that if you decide to use the impact drivers that you fit the bit to the screw! I'd fit a good screwdriver to it then cut off the handle and chuck the shank up in a drill press. With the wood removed and tang in a press vice, give it firm pressure down on the screw and hand turn the chuck to back it out.
    If Obummer is the answer, How stupid was the question?

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -----Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    Or as MtGunn44 has suggested but put that vise under a drill press, chuck up the proper fitting blade. Lower the spindle and hand turn the chuck.
    America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Master
    To apply heat.
    Find a steel rod about the same diameter as the screw head.
    Heat the end of the rod red hot with a torch.
    Place the end of the rod on the screw head and leave it there until it turns black.
    Immediately attempt to remove screw.
    May require repeated attempts.

The problem with an impact driver on this particular screw is that the screw head is fairly thin and you very well may only end up splitting the screw head in half.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Removal of stuck screws should proceed in incremental levels of seriousness.

1. Screwdriver.
    2. Kroil and screw driver.
    3. Kroil, Screwdriver, and Crescent Wrench to turn screw driver.
    4. Heat, with Kroil, and screwdriver.
    5. Kroil with Impact Driver after heat is applied
    6. Last but not least,,,,Drill it out. If you don't know exactly what you are doing here then find someone who does cuz this is about the easiest way to screw something up badly that there is.

The reason I didn't use the impact driver sooner is because they are easy to tools to ruin finishes with. You have to hold them just right and then hit them smartly with a hammer, and the potential is there to screw up and hit something else. They are more appropriate for working on Motorcycles and the like.

When you heat stuff like this the hot tip is a "Crackpipe Torch," (one of the small butane torches) they have a nice pointed flame which is easy to direct onto a spot. You don't have to heat the parts up very much to get the screw to release, maybe to 200-250F(same with Red Loctite) which won't hurt the blue or change any heat treat that might be present.

You only change heat treating when you exceed about 450 F and the part turns blue. Now it is soft unless it is Hi Speed Steel or above like a tool bit or drill bit.

A really good set of screwdrivers like Brownell's kit is going to take care of 99% of the screw removal you will ever have to do.

The other techniques are for the remaining 1%.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Hey Randy! When I asked my friendly ACE Hardware man for a "crack pipe torch" he gave me a funny look!

Something to remember about rust is that it needs water to form and when you apply heat you are getting rid of the water and creating space for the screw so it turns! After heating supplying a lube just makes it slicker,when force is supplied,hopefully by a proper fitting tool. Also like has been suggested the better you can secure the object the better it is! Can we say a GOOD bench vise!
    Last edited by seagiant; 12-23-2013 at 03:50 PM.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Grand Master

The old standby is to put the tang into the vise of a drill press after heating and kroiling and then use the press to push down on the screwdriver as you turn the drive with a handle or a wrench. I have a special driver made up with a t handle just for these situations. By pressing down you don't ruin the slot and you can put maximum pressure on the screw.

Boolit Master

+1 on the impact driver. However, I would try the other methods first.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast