Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Finally found a technique that works

Finally found a technique that works

I've been on the quest to get my Pedersoli Sharps to shoot pp as well as it does cast. I wanted to get up around 1,500 fps and stay below 29,000 psi with 1" or better groups using a Lyman 500 gr. round nose, cast out of 50/50 ww/range lead and tin. The bullet was sized to .4520", patched up with tracing paper, then sized to .4580" and lubed with my home made lube. The bullets were weight sorted and the brass was partially sized, annealed and taper crimped after loading. This 5 shot group measured at exactly 1" center to center.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sharpsgroup.jpg  
    Life's too short to shoot an ugly gun.

Boolit Master
    Nice shooting!
    I can't do that well using a scope on my Marlin GG..

500grs. at 1500 fps should endo a buffalo if the bullet can run straight..
    Beyond being a great shooter how do you like your Pedersoli Sharps?

Perm-Banned
    you did it right, a .452 bullet patched with traceing paper is going to shoot. you just stimulated me to order a .452 push through reduceing die. the traceing paper is tough and a little thinner than number 9 and perfect for the .452 bullet. now dont get bored because it shoot so consistantly good and change it. your their.

Quote Originally Posted by johnson1942 View Post
    you did it right, a .452 bullet patched with traceing paper is going to shoot. you just stimulated me to order a .452 push through reduceing die. the traceing paper is tough and a little thinner than number 9 and perfect for the .452 bullet. now dont get bored because it shoot so consistantly good and change it. your their.
    I quite agree. That one is going in the book and I've got 50 or so patched up to load. What I would like is to be able to shoot that same load out to 300-500 yards, but don't have access locally other than to "go up a side canyon". I probably will.

Quote Originally Posted by Nrut View Post
    Nice shooting!
    I can't do that well using a scope on my Marlin GG..

500grs. at 1500 fps should endo a buffalo if the bullet can run straight..
    Beyond being a great shooter how do you like your Pedersoli Sharps?
    Thank you. I'm consistently amazed at just how precise one can be with a tang sight. Mine is a cheap one (Taylor's) and someday a good soule sight is going on the gun with full range adjustments. I love the rifle. It was a gift from my best friend for my 50th birthday and I treasure it. I did have to fabricate a new firing pin right away as the factory one was too short. Other than that it's been great. It shoots jacketed, monolithic solids (Barnes) and cast beautifully. I have a ww load using that same bullet at 1,250 fps that shoots one hole at 100 yards.

very nice !!!

would like to see pictures of the boolit before and after sizing to the .452 ... then after patching ... as well as the mold number you use.

thanks for sharing and as for me ... i get carried away with the bp in my 45-70's and forget that there is the "other" powder to use in it. i have tryed this before and had little luck so trashed the idea and thus the request for additional photo's.

thanks again for sharing.

Perm-Banned
    forgive me but i have to tweek everything to get the extreem most out of whatever. you have the load perfect and the bullet and every thing. their is just one more thing that ive done that you may be interested in that would really even tweet your groups and help improve your fine rifle. that is to have the barrel cryo treated. ive done 90 percent of my rifles and it has helped every one. i have been useing cryoplus co. for 20 years and her prices beat every one and she uses the same equipment as the rest. 70.00 for the treatment. you dont have to remove the trigger, action or springs, take off the back sight and the wood, thats all. the further out you shoot the more the groups improve with cryoing. it has to do with better barrel harmonics. also your barrel will become a lot more slippery in the bore and last a lot longer as it strengthens the steel. much of the stress is taken out of the barrel also.i cryo/d my sons .270 as a gift once. with the same handloaded ammo he got 100 ft. per sec. faster than before cryoing. also groups at 300 yards got tighter. just a thought and really liked your post and enjoyed reading about the tight groups you got. i have a .451 reducing die and with some paper i got now im going to order a .453 one soon, thanks again. keep haveing fun. p.s. since ive discoverd reducing dies a year ago ive been ordering 1 or 2 a month. best thing i ever learned from castbollits post.

Boolit Master
    Ditto on the cyro-treatment!

Best regards,

CJR

That's a good idea but the next investment is gonna be a good tang sight.

so if i gotta guess i will ...

Lyman 457125 boolit?

pushthru Lee style sizer to .452?

any particular length restrictions?

filler or just powder?

Yes to the mold. I have a Star and used the .452" die. The bullet was seated level with the top driving band and taper crimped. It is just entering the leade. No filler as the powder charge comes up to the base of the bullet. The position of the paper is somewhat critical too, and care is taken to not cut the paper when crimping (that's why the taper crimp).

thankyou ... so do you paper clear up to the beginning of the round portion of the boolit nose or stop the paper at the beginning of the bore ride section just ahead of the first drive band?

kinda why i desire to see a photo of your process and completed patched boolit. i have fussed around with this exact boolit and had no luck so im looking at what i did wrong and want to re-try this as a result of your success.

i get good accuracy with the boolit as a greaser but when i attempt paper patching it ... all goes south.
    Last edited by bigted; 01-22-2014 at 02:08 PM.

Here's a quick picture of the wrapped bullet. My experience was that the powder, the paper, the position of the paper and the depth it was seated combined together made the difference. Loaded, the bullet just starts into the throat. Slight pressure is required to seat the bullet into the chamber.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails paper patch.jpg  

thankyou very much. the thing i missed was the sizing AFTER patching. thanks for the photo ... it helps.

I also made my own lube using: one toilet ring, 1/2 cake of surf wax, one stick of paraffin and one tsp of STP oil treatment. It makes a lube that is dry at room temp, needs heat to run thru the luber/sizer and provides exceptional results in my Sharps. Until I did that I couldn't get the bullet to stabilize.
    Last edited by myfriendis410; 01-26-2014 at 09:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by myfriendis410 View Post
    I also made my own lube using: one toilet ring, 12 cake of surf wax, one stick of paraffin and one tsp of STP oil treatment.
    Simple enough! Great job with the whole show.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Seem to be getting good speed from paper, we have not pushed speeds this high and our accuracy fell off after about 1350..........

Quote Originally Posted by winchester 71 View Post
    Seem to be getting good speed from paper, we have not pushed speeds this high and our accuracy fell off after about 1350..........
    This bullet without paper patching keyholes just below 1,300 fps in my rifle. I chrono'd the pp load at somewhere around 1,550 fps. with clean holes. I would really like to take this out to 300 but our range only offers 100.