Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squished's die buildalong: derim

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Cane_man View Post
    looks awesome Squish!!!

there are some really good vids on youtube to learn threading...
    Thanks. YT has been helpful, as has the search function here. Kudos to everyone who has contributed through how to information.

Cane man, I have not had any problems with my jackets expanding after derimming. I set the cores in a .224 die and do the point forming in the same dia. die. My bullets come out at a perfect 224 and thats what I shoot. works for me....I'm not really sure what you were saying about stepping, not sure I understand what you are saying.

Boolit Master
    jimbull34
    "I'm not really sure what you were saying about stepping"

If you read about swaging bullets from almost any swaging people, you will find that they increase the diameter of the slug in each step. The jacket starts at 0.223 inch ( or smaller) diameter, the core seat brings it to 0.2235 inch diameter and the point form die will bring it to 0.224 inch in diameter.

This makes it easier to remove the slug from each die in the order, as the slug will shrink back in diameter a small amount after the pressure is removed. Most important is that the slug be smaller than the final point form die so the small ejection pin will remove the slug and not stick into the lead core.

Hope this explains why the jacket should be smaller than the final diameter to start with.

Lafaun
    Just staying at home and playing with multi-color boolits.

That was actually my comment, don't blame Cane man. I'm a little surprised you could get it to work. I've never seen anyone do it that way and not bump it a little with each step. It seems like the bullet would have a tendancy to get stuck in the point die. Well, if it works for you; it works for you. Good explanation afloyd, that's what I was getting at.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbull34 View Post
    Cane man, I have not had any problems with my jackets expanding after derimming. I set the cores in a .224 die and do the point forming in the same dia. die. My bullets come out at a perfect 224 and thats what I shoot. works for me....I'm not really sure what you were saying about stepping, not sure I understand what you are saying.
    Never in history has there been a situation so bad that the government couldn't make it worse.
    A foolish faith in authority is the enemy of the truth.

Boolit Bub
    Well I think the derim set is done, except for heat treating. I ended up using a tapered reamer to enlarge the bulk of the entrance of the die, leaving only about 1/8" of ~.218 diameter at the end. This gave me a .219 jacket assuming there's the .001" spring back I've read about. I wasn't real happy with .219, wanting a bit larger diameter. So I made a .220 D reamer out of some O-1 stock by turning .250 stock and using my smaller-than-micro mill to cut that down to .125" or so thickness. I used that to bore my die out to .220 and it now gives me a .221 jacket. I think that's a good start considering I'm learning as I go.

Next up for me will be the core mold. I plan on finding a old bullet mold and flipping it over to bore some .196 or .199 holes in it for core blanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12