WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: birthday deer

Cool birthday deer

Manage to harvest my first birthday deer sat evening (dec 14) wasn't with cast boolit but it was with my reloads. It was the last day of PA rifle season. Now the work begins.

Is that snow packed in the objective bell of that scope? It probably snowed 6 inches on us all day yesterday here in Clarion County. It was sure easy to tell fresh deer tracks from ones made 1/2 hour earlier!

Boolit Master
    happy B day well earned I was out sat morning for black powder in NY snowy and cold! congats

Boolit Master
    That's a very nice birthday present! Congrats.

Oh yes. We got hit hard with snow. Tracked this deer 150 yrds in pouring down snow. Tracking job was easy. Thanks guys

Vendor Sponsor

Yep congrats, birthday deer are the best deer for some reason..

Quite a few years back I got two with one shot from a .45 Colt Ruger Vaquero on my birthday. I hollered and my hunting buddy got mad because it scared off a deer he was going to shoot and I just told him "Hey bud, anybody that kills two with one shot from a pistol on their birthday can holler all they want!"

Boolit Master
    Happy Deerday to you!

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning and Congradulations and Happy Birthday !
    Fantastic !... 150 yards was along way to go..
    Now ya need to fill in the details so we can relish the hunt. Caliber, load, and all the peculiars !
    May you be blessed chomping on all that fine meat.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Details? Ok I'm not much of a writter but here goes..

Its Saturday afternoon Dec. 14. Its snowing its *** off. I tucked into my camo teepee blind at 2:30pm. I get my camp stove going in the blind to take the chill off. At 4:35pm I get a text from my girlfriend and it says "I'm praying you get a birthday deer baby" I replied "hope so babe. Thanks" Right after I hit send, I look up and I see 2 doe coming left to right infront of me about 50yds away. My first thought was "no f@#kin way!" I get my gun up and put the crosshairs on the bigger doe. It stops right behind a tree which seems like forever. Moments later it turns back to my left quarter to me heading right to my blind. I grunt and it stops. I put the crosshairs infront of her front shoulder (she was quarter to me) and slowing pull the trigger. BOOM! She buckles and runs off the way she came with her tail down. I text my girlfriend ans said your not gonna believe this. I got out of the blind and looked for blood that was getting covered up quick due to the snow storm. Waiting a short period of time and started tracking. Followed blood and her tracks in the snow for almost 150yrds. When I found her she wasn't expired yet. I had to put her out for good. I looked to see where i hit her and apparently the bullet missed her chest and hit the opposite leg. After I got her home and hung up, I noticed my scope was loose. The screws holding the scope mount were lose. Locked tite screws and ready to hit range.

My loads for my 30-30
    170gr corlok bullet
    33.3 gr of h414
    Cci primers
    R-P brass

In the backyard I was touching bullet holes at 80yrds.
    Last edited by desteve811; 12-16-2013 at 05:02 PM.