Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Sleeping mats opinions please

Sleeping mats opinions please

Whats the best cheapest lightest biggest thickest warmest sleep mat you have camped on?
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Boolit Master

A mat of pine straw or leaves about 8to 10 inches thick down here but in the cold country the same if possible to get.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Quote Originally Posted by w5pv View Post
    A mat of pine straw or leaves about 8to 10 inches thick down here but in the cold country the same if possible to get.
    Here in north Louisiana that mat would contain 10,000 creepy crawling critters--not counting fireants.

Re: opinions. The Cabela's Ultimate Self-Inflating Sleeping Pad Long is the best camping sleeping mat I've ever owned. It's also the most expensive at circa $150 but you get what you pay for. It's thick; it's more than long enough for a 6'1" guy like me, i.e., your feet won't hang off the end and rest on the cold, cold tent floor; and it's wide enough to enable you to sleep on your back without your elbows resting on the cold, cold tent floor. If Cabelas stops making them, mine isn't for sale

I have the Gander Mountain Guide Series Self-Inflating 78"X25" 4" thick, it does well. I've used it on night shift when we had down time, I wish I would have brought it with me when I was deployed for Supper Storm Sandy. I think it would have been better than 19 days on an ambulance stretcher.

Jeff
    NAHC Life Member, WV Citizens Defense Lague, NRA. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Moderator Emeritus
    Therma-rest is probably the most popular sleeping pad for backpacking. They work great.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by garandsrus View Post
    Therma-rest is probably the most popular sleeping pad for backpacking. They work great.
    This is what I've been using for years. Just make sure you get a full length one. The weight difference is negligible between the full length and 3/4 length. They take no time to inflate and are reasonably priced. But all they do is get you off the ground so you don't feel every rock and root. They are anything but an air matress. I have two that are close to fourteen years old and they work like the day I bought them. They aren't used as heavily as they used to be. But they still get used a few times a year.

Moderator Emeritus
    The thermarest is also an insulating pad. I have slept in a tent on snow several times and stayed warm when using a thermarest.

Boolit Buddy

Thermarest Z Lite Sleeping Pad

can't poke a hole in it and is warm.
    What I hand-load; .380acp; 9mm/9mmR; 38/357mag; 45acp;
    223rem(5.56mm); 22-250rem; 243win; 6.5 Grendel; 270 win; 30-30win; 308win; 45-70gov.

on the list to start Loading; 30-06 springfield; 222 rem; 6.5x55 swedish

"You might be a gun nut if you load 45-70 on a progressive press" -HICKOK45<- was he talking about me!?!

---
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    _________________ ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master

I once read where Cowboys would dig a shallow hole for their hips to rest in. Then they would fold their blankets into thirds lengthwise, lay two layers on the ground and cover themselves with the top layer. No Cowboys here, just sayin'.

The most comfortable cold weather set up I've used was a canvas cot, assembly required. It stands about 6" off the tent floor. Steel segmented rods with wire legs that come apart and go into a 2-1/2' by 6" dia. bag. Definately NOT for backpacking, but if you can get your rig to within 150 yds of your campsite, it's what I'd use.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Love Life
    A standard ISO-Mat. Light weight, and works. Add pile up leaves and stuff underneath if you want things to be a bit softer.

I have an OLD thermo-rest knock off / store brand. It's 1 1/2" thick self inflating. But it's only 3/4 length. I agree with the statement above. Get the full length. I also used to carry with it one of the blue exercise mats / ground pad. When we were tent camping near the truck I would always go by Home Depot and get a bale or 2 of wheat straw and fluff it out where we were going to put the tent. I have a heavy piece of clear plastic I cut exactly the size of our bigger dome tent. I put it down where I want the tent and use it as a boundary and look under it for rocks and roots. Then spread the straw on top of it.

Some time when we were between big campers my wife bought a queen size air mattress. It was OK except when we had the 2 of us and 3 grandkids. Someone (usually me) ALWAYS ended up on the ground. Heavy people usually do that.

Decide what YOU want, then get the best YOU can afford.

Good luck.
    Be careful,
    Victor

Life member NRA

I'll vote for the Thermarest self-inflating. I have the largest one and it is only 1.5" thick (if that but it does the job)

reality is even in generally warm conditions you lose heat to the cold ground 3-4 times faster than to cool (50deg) air
    So without a mattress like a Thermarest you will actually be warmer sleeping on a blanket, than you will be sleeping under one.

xl thermo rest in mummy shape, add a cot if your not carying it

https://express.google.com/product/2...FUorTwod8dUFuw

i use this one, rolls up small and doubles as a pool toy on the few hot days ( it'll float my 160# ymmv)

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    One time I had the option of sleeping atop a couple pallets (arrived later at night than planned & camping partners had a shelter up already.) Surprisingly comfy, if the two had been tied together so they didn't rock around a bit independently it might have been a smidge better but it was good enough! I've considered making a low cot out of (free) pallet wood, keeps you off muddy cold ground which is nice.

I usually bring the foil sleeping mats I got from a local oriental store for camping; Car camping I add the Horror Fright moving blankets for a bit more padding. If you remove the boulders from your sleeping area those will do; Plan to move to a hammock once I get that built but it's going slow so far (other things take priority.)

In my experience, cheapest in camping usually means most miserable.

Spend what you can afford to get decent quality.

If you spend 7 out of 9 hours awake, cold, in pain and miserable you are not going to enjoy the day that follows. Indulge your body a little, it will pay you back.

https://www.rei.com/product/829826/t...l-sleeping-pad

Boolit Bub
    We use the thermarest pro light.

Paco pad

https://www.jpwinc.com/product/silve...v=89d269ea9f2e

Buy once, cry once... Sleep well