Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So....what was wrong with the Dillon 450?

It's almost impossible to reply tonight from where I sit.

I've got a SDB and know of the unit specific threads, but I got the impression that maybe the 450 was also UNS. Thanks for the clarification.

Boolit Bub
    I bought a 450 about 1982 and fell in love with it. As others have said, the 450 is a very strong press and does not flex. I watch for used presses at shows, flea markets, and garage sales and when I find a 450 at a good price, I buy it. I now have five and have dedicated one press to each caliber I shoot frequently: .30-06, .308, .223, .45, and .38 Special. This way I never have to change anything over, just put the press all set up on a long 2 x 6 mounted at one end of my reloading room until I need that one again.

In my opinion, the 450 was one of the best presses Dillon ever made. No flex, no give, no tolerances to have to worry about shimming up. Since I reload almost exclusively milsurp brass, I do all my prep on a Rockchucker, and prime on a bench mounted Autoprime, then put the brass in the Dillon and finish loading. I also have a good stash of spare parts since these are becoming scarce as time goes by.

Boolit Buddy
    I had a couple of 550s.Sold one to a friend. For my hunting rifle stuff I use a Press they called the AT 500. 550 with none of the bells and whistles. It'll do about 100 an hour if yer in a hurry loading rifle ammo. I just wonder how many 30-06 or 338 Mag I'm gonna shoot at one time. So don't use the 550 for them. As for pistol the S 1050 does the majority of them cept the 44 Sp and 45 Colt. I load the 308 for my AR 10 on the 550 and some of the 223 on a 650. Dillon makes good(but expensive) stuff. I do like their pistol dies. And I have some of the rifle dies..Carbide 308 and 223.

Boolit Bub
    What is an RL450 in original form worth nowadays?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mike67 View Post
    What is an RL450 in original form worth nowadays?
    Condition, condition, condition.

$150 to $250. Maybe more if there are extras or it is in pristine condition.

Boolit Grand Master

That 1980s ad sold me. Bought it and upgraded as the auto primer and powder measures
    became available. Sold it about 10-12 years ago to be replaced with a second 550 for small
    primers. The only real disadvantage was lack of interchangeable tool heads. At the end, that
    was the only real difference between it and a 550 - well, the turning star, but that is almost
    totally superfluous.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123