MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those familiar with the RCBS "JR3" - I need some help . . .

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar

For those familiar with the RCBS "JR3" - I need some help . . .

Long story short - in addition to my Lee 4 place turret, I have a RCBS Jr3 that I'm using for sizing, depriving and some batch loading - I love this little press! So, I wanted the same set up at my place in AZ. I found one at what I consider a decent price on flea bay - I purchased it and it arrived the day before yesterday. Now the sad part . . . the idiot I purchased it from (and I use that term loosely) just put it in a cheap a&& cardboard box and shipped it. When it arrived, the handle had poked through the box (lucky it didn't get lost) and the first thing I spotted was that the threads were all buggered up. I got the press out of the box (no packing or effort made to cushion it during shipment) and from the looks of it, somewhere along the line the press got dropped. The "pivot plate" (not sure of the correct term) where the handle is supposed to screw in is now bent badly out of round and the handle can't even be inserted in to it to thread it in. I have sent a message about the poor packing and the damage to the seller - of course he is not responding. What was a nice press in excellent condition now appears to be a "boat anchor". I have a feeling that I am going to get "stuck" on this one and the idiot who doesn't know how to pack things is going to waltz away ignoring the whole situation.

So . . . my question. These things are built to last centuries so I have a feeling there are no "parts presses" out there? Does anyone have a suggestion? I have sent an email to RCBS but I'm not holding my breath on repair parts since this press is circa 1960s.

I don't think I can put a drift punch in the pivot plate hole where the handle fits in and get it back "in round" without damaging the female threads of the pivot plate. The only other alternative I can see is possibly using a drift punch to try and get it back "in round" and then fitting the handle in (minus threads) and possibly having it welded?

I'm going to see how this sifts out with the seller but I don't hold out much hope that he is going to step up to the plate and take any responsibility. And I'm sure as heck not returning it to him on my nickel. If I'm "stuck", I'm just looking for a way to make this press operable again. I'll post a WTB for the pivot plate on this site but I'm not holding out much hope that some one will have one laying around.

Any suggestions? Thanks! If someone knows of anyone who has a "parts Jr3 press" please let me know.

Boolit Master

Just get ahold of RCBS, they're good at getting you going, age does not seem to be a problem with them.

Boolit Master

Don't loose faith in RCBS just yet. They may not come through for you, but it would be a surprise if they didn't. I might suggest you give them a call on Monday and make it a little more "personal".
    Good Luck,
    Rick

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Call the nice lady at RCBS! I would be surprised if they DIDN'T help you out!!!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Yes , call them. RCBS is good people!

“A liberal’s paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or not, such a place does indeed already exist: It's called Prison."

--- Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Maricopa County, Arizona

I expect rcbs will help, but as long as the main casting is not broken the press can be repaired --

I have 3 JRs, Ive repainted and rebuilt them all from parts from RCBS
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

The customer service at RCBS has made me a believer- I'll pay a premium for their products because of that. There are a lot of businesses that could learn a thing or two about customer service and the resulting brand loyalty from RCBS.
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Boolit Buddy
    Post a picture of the part, I might have a spare

Boolit Master
    I would also contact eBay, and see what they would do.

Thank you all. Hopefully RCBS will be able to help - not that I don't have confidence in them as I know they have excellent service and are very helpful. I was just thinking that since the press is probably at least 50 years old that due to design changes, etc. they probably would not have the parts. I'll give them a call on Monday and talk with them in person and see what they have to say.

Thank you boltaction308 - I'll take some photos and post them asap.

Thanks! Hopefully I can get this little beauty back in working order as they are such nice little single stages.

Boolit Bub
    Stay professional, but most definitly leave negative feedback on eBay for the seller regarding the poor and unacceptable packaging and shipping job, if after a short period of time you don't hear anyting back from them. It might save someone else some pain in the future.

Boolit Grand Master
    Doesn't fleece bay require you to pay with paypal now? If you did, contest the charge. No reason the seller/ shhipper should get a free ride on this.

Also get a copy of the pictures used in the auction before they go away, if possible.

Robert

Frosted Boolits

RCBS is usually good about replacements. I recieved and old RC press from a guy that modified the ram for swaging. They sent me another one for free. I also did a project that required me to shorten the linkage arms on another RC press. The project worked OK but wish I hadnt modified the linkage arms. I called RCBS with full intention of paying for replacements. Even after I told them I shortened them they STILL INSISTED on sending me free linkage arms. RCBS is a great company!
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Boolit Master

Yes, get a hold of PayPal...

They should help out tremendously.
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Here are the photos - from the photos, the damage really can't be seen that well. The handle was sticking our to the box and some of the threads damaged as a result. The worst side is not showing in the photo. I probably can touch them up with a 3 corner file. They weren't protected in any way and during shipment, they poked through exposing them to whatever there was to strike and damage them. I'm surprised that the handle just didn't slide out of the box somewhere along the way.

The press itself has the primer arm "hanging out there". Keep in mind this was in a flimsy box with no padding, etc. Why it wasn't removed and taped to the press is beyond me as with it on, it has the potential of being "snapped" off if the box were dropped - which it appears it was.

The pivot plate evidently struck on something enough to knock it out of round. The Jr3 has the 5/8" handle (as opposed to the smaller diameter Jr2 handle) and it is supposed to slide in to the pivot plate and then thread in to tighten. It won't even enter the hole. Originally, I thought someone may have put a Jr2 pivot plate on this press but I have a Jr2 press as well and tried the handle - way too small.

I have sent a second message to the seller with still no reply. I will keep this professional but am not very happy when there is no reply. There may be a reason - I hope so. If it is "avoiding the problem" - that solves nothing. I have sold on fleabay for years. I just completed selling over a 100 items today. I value my customers and when they are good enough to purchase something I am selling, I pack it well so that it will reach them in good condition. In fact, I have been told that I sometimes "over pack" an item but they never complain as it reaches them in the condition it should be. Why this was packed better is beyond me - perhaps just a lack of "common sense"? I do not blame the Post Office for this - it was a result of not being packed correctly. I do know that if the roles were reversed, I would be in immediate contact with the customer upon receiving their message that the item was poorly packed and damaged and I would do everything I could to resolve the issue that was acceptable to both - but, I'm "old school", I'm 61 and that was the way I was brought up.

In looking at this, I don't know what the "cure" is for the fix. I no longer have the machinery where I could remove this pivot plate and possibly chuck it in a vise and run a correct size milling cutter down to the threads so the handle will slide in. I don't know if the pivot plate is "cast" or "forged" but it got dropped hard enough to bend it.

I will call RCBS on Monday and see what they have to say in regards to a "fix" or possible spare part. If they have parts available, I don't expect them to do it for nothing . . . I'd just be happy to get this press fixed so it functions properly and I can take the handle on and off.

I'll see what they say and then go from there. Hopefully the seller will contact me back . . . I don't like to cause a problem for anybody but on the other hand, I didn't shell out $$ for an RCBS "boat anchor" either. Time will tell and there are steps through eBay and PayPal to address such things if the seller/buyer is not doing what should be done.

If anyone has one of these pivot plates laying around, I'd sure appreciate a PM. Thanks.

Attachment 90507Attachment 90509Attachment 90508Attachment 90506Attachment 90510Attachment 90511

Banned
    Wow, that thing took a good swat. The threads on the handle will clean up, they are 9/16". The pivot block could be a challenge, it is the same as used on the RS but not the same as the JR2. Some JR2's were upgraded to the JR3 pivot block but that is another story.

You are correct that there are very few JR parts presses, and that attests to the popularity of this press.
    I do not have any parts presses but it may be possible to interchange the pivot block with another brand, I will have to look through the collection to see what may work.
    Ken

Two Wows from me -- that much damage to the steel block with out damaging the main casting shows the good quality of the cast iron used --
    While not minimizing the effort required, it can be salvaged readily enough either on a mill or lathe.
    You might get lucky with a drill press but it would be difficult to keep a drill on center.

I have received a few packages my self with poor packing -- No thought given as to the effects of inertia - folks must think the handlers carry each individual box with loving care rather than just chucking them into and out of the truck. Or most likely on and off a conveyor. Not to mention the rough ride in the truck --

I have one of the old JR's and what a shame that some dumb butt shipped that way were that can happen. They are a good little press.

“A liberal’s paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or not, such a place does indeed already exist: It's called Prison."

--- Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Maricopa County, Arizona

Well . . . I thought I would give an update.

First off, I have sent three messages to the seller and he doesn't respond . . . I have been professional in my messages to him and informed him that he needs to contact me so we can resolve this . . . I doubt that he will so I'll give it one more day and then pursue the complaint process through eBay and PayPal. Too bad that some folks are that way . . . I was brought up better than that.

I called RCBS today . . . I talked with a real nice fellow there but unfortunately, that pivot plate that the handle screws in to is one of the parts they no longer have available since the press was discontinued in the late 70s. He said that he has talked to others who needed the same part and about the only suggestion was that I have a machine shop look at it and see if they could either mill the hole back "in to round" or else make a new plate like it. And while I'm at it . . . I will say that I was very pleased with the customer service dept. and the fellow I talked to at RCBS . . . . good folks and it certainly isn't their fault that they no longer have the parts as I realize it is an older vintage press . . . it was certainly worth the call though just in case they might have one.

I have a feeling that this purchase is "just one of those things in life" so at my age, it's not worth the stress over the seller and his poor packing nor lack of responsibility in getting back with me. Life is too short.

This is really too nice of a little press to not get fixed so I will probably pursue trying to find someone who has the machines and ability to correct the problem. I no longer have access to a milling machine nor machine tools - if I did, I'd probably have it fixed with a little time. If the banged up hole in the plate can't be bored/reamed back in to round, it can probably be bored through and either a new handle made or the existing one altered and if not threaded in to the plate, perhaps made to slide in and be cross pinned. At any rate, I want to get it fixed so it is operable again.

I'm fairly new to this site so will ask - is there anyone on here that does machining and has the equipment that could fix this? If so, please let me know or pm me - I'd surely appreciate it. Many thanks and once again, my hat is off to RCBS as I found their customer service to be tops!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast