Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Lead from Stained Glass Windows?

Lead from Stained Glass Windows?

Got a unique opportunity to pick up a few large ingots of lead from a guy that said they were melted down from leading used in refurbishing old stained glass windows. I'm thinking this is probably pretty close to pure, right? He said he also had an old tractor wheel weight that was made from lead as well. Most I've seen were cast iron, but if it's lead, it's got a use, right?!

Looking to pick up some pure for blackpowder use and to mix with COWWs for hunting boolits. Anyone have experience with either of these sources?

Thanks!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    If he fluxed/reduced VERY WELL it you are OK.

I use a BUNCH of window lead and there os old paint (usually lead-based) and caulking in there. It needs to be fluxed out or your ingots will be very dirty and will not give you good casting.

I would remelt and flux a couple times. No big whoop.

It is just soft lead. Some of the stuff I have found was in the 7-8 range, but most is 5.

Only thing I know about tractors & farms is........"green side up!"

banger

Banned

in the past couple of years the lead came they use for windows has had some antimony added to it [@3%] the antimony helps the extrusion process.
    the older stuff was/is pure lead.

the tractor weight could be anything especially if it's home made, if it's factory it could be dead soft lead also.
    you'll have to do the old thumbnail or pencil test and just make a judgment call on it's hardness.

Boolit Master

When my wife was dabbling in leaded glass she used solder to lead with.You may have lead with quiet a bit of tin in it.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Thanks for the replies. I'll have to check into it and see what it actually is. He said the lead came from the windows was pure/soft, and was what was removed and what was left over from a restoration project several years ago. He also thought the tractor weight was also pure, but wasn't 100% sure. The price he quoted to me seemed more than fair and he had between 70 and 80 pounds of it. Trying to sell whatever I can find locally to get some cash together. Blast this Christmas poverty season!!!

My neighbors hobby was stained glass,still have several of his small window ornaments. The trimmings he used to give me was mostly solder joints high in tin. It is easy to separate the solder joints from the pure channel lead that wraps over the cut edges of the glass panels. It is all good stuff one way or another.

My wife also did a bit of sg work. The came is mostly pure lead w/ a little tin to help extrusion. I don't think there is any antimony in it, too pliable & soft. I treat it as pure lead for the most part.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonym View Post
    Got a unique opportunity to pick up a few large ingots of lead from a guy that said they were melted down from leading used in refurbishing old stained glass windows. I'm thinking this is probably pretty close to pure, right? He said he also had an old tractor wheel weight that was made from lead as well. Most I've seen were cast iron, but if it's lead, it's got a use, right?!

Looking to pick up some pure for blackpowder use and to mix with COWWs for hunting boolits. Anyone have experience with either of these sources?

Thanks!
    I only came across window lead once, but it was straight from the foundry and it's analysis was supplied with it. There may well be more than one recipe, but this one contained .45% antimony and .06% copper. As others have said, if there is much solder, that'd certainly change things. Also as they've said, treat it as almost pure, only better.

Boolit Master

I've heard of people using scrap WW to make stained glass windows. I don't think there's any set formula for window glass; basically anything that's lead-ish can be used.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by C. Latch View Post
    I've heard of people using scrap WW to make stained glass windows. I don't think there's any set formula for window glass; basically anything that's lead-ish can be used.
    There isn't a formula. For years lead caming was pure, or almost pure lead, especially for the finer cloisonne' stuff and the H shaped material for the interior where panes meet. The outside border stuff could be anything. This from a stained glass artist.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

The SG lead I have created so much dross I don't think I'll try again to re smelt it. The lead I did get is dead soft, but it's way more trouble than it was worth to me. I will trade it of at the recycler for sheet lead or similar.