RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Wideners Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ER Shaw Rifle Barrels

Boolit Buddy
    I shot mine way past when i was worn out. I shot a 5 1/2" group at 1100 yds with my 260 rem er shaw. Buy with confidence.

I have an ER Shaw stainless .223 in bull barrel configuration. I bought it from Gun Shack on sale for a very good price. This thing was accurate right out of the box. It shoots dime sized groups at 100 yards and is a veritable death ray in a prairie dog town. Cleans easily with little to no copper fouling. RD
    “A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.”

Thomas Jefferson – Author of the Declaration of Independence and 3rd President of the USA

Boolit Master
    I have one of the A&B Midway barrels that was purportedly made by Shaw. It is a great shooter with both cast and jacketed. Jacketed results at 100 yards are as good or better than any other commercial rifle I own.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master

I got a 98 Mauser .243 in a trade with a Shaw barrel. It's a great shooter making cloverleaf groups at 100 yards. I'm glad I shot it before I sold it.
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO
    If vegans love animal so much, why do they eat all their food?

Boolit Master

Have owned two.shaw barrels one I still have and love the other was graded away and is still missed!!!! I would not hesitate to get another.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sgt.mike View Post
    Yep got one currently , it will make a fine pry bar outside that ohhh NO. Seen several of them inconsistant I have never seen one shoot well always replaced them.

The words Shaw and quality used together will get you physically hurt in my presence, but glad to hear some are satisfied with them. So much for my 2 cents
    FWIW:
    Just placed a order For 5 Brux barrels, I like being able to count on consistancy. And Yes I am a snob and opinionated, when it comes to barrels
    I'll certainly remember that, both prejudiced and violent about it.

Boolit Master
    I just ordered a Pacnor barrel. I ordered Pacnor for several reason. I wanted at least 28" and Shaw only offered 26". I wanted a 1/10" twist 6.5mm barrel and Shaw only offered 1/9" or faster.
    The 26" 1/9" twist SS Shaw barrel was $280 plus shipping. The Pacnor 29" 1/10" twist SS barrel is $415 plus shipping.
    This is for a 6.5/06 Ackley that will be used for long range coyote shooting. From my back door stand to the blough I will shoot to is 850 yards. The kill zone on a coyote is roughly a 6" circle so at 850 yards a tough target so this rifle has to be accurate in the extreme or it is nothing. The last two Pacnor barrels I ordered were just that, accurate to the extreme.
    One is a 6mm/284 7" twist and the other a 300 Win mag 12" twist.
    On the other hand I built my 221 Fire Ball on a 1/14" twist Shaw barrel and have been very pleased with it.
    In this case with this 6.5/06 Ackley project Shaw didn't offer what I wanted and even if they did I still may have gone with the Pacnor. The additional assurance that the barrel will be accurate seemed worth the $135.00 price difference in this case.
    For a non critical plain Jane hunting rifle or boolit plinker I will go with the Shaw.
    BTW the first few groups after break in on the Pacnor barrels were disappointing. After about 50 rounds through each barrel they began to settle down and after 100 rounds they will shoot at about .3MOA with their select loads.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range
    I have used them a lot they all shot very well

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    I have a friend that is a professional Gunsmith. His specialty is accurate rifles built on Remington or Mauser actions.

I asked about Shaw barrels one time and he was not impressed with them. Said they were ok for hunters but that ws about it!

His favorite "affordable" barrel was the Lothar Walther!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Master
    I have seen good results with the A&B/Shaw barrels. How ever you get what you pay for. Buddies 35 Whelan shoots into an inch or less at 100 and at 200 it is an every day 1 1/2". It shoots cast as well as jacketed.
    As to fluting, I myself don't spend $ on cool factors. If it doesn't make it shoot better I don't need it. If the fluting will drop some weight for a hunting rifle that is fine, but why not just go to a different contour. To eachs own though.
    Jeff

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JSH View Post
    I have seen good results with the A&B/Shaw barrels. How ever you get what you pay for. Buddies 35 Whelan shoots into an inch or less at 100 and at 200 it is an every day 1 1/2". It shoots cast as well as jacketed.
    As to fluting, I myself don't spend $ on cool factors. If it doesn't make it shoot better I don't need it. If the fluting will drop some weight for a hunting rifle that is fine, but why not just go to a different contour. To eachs own though.
    Jeff
    For equal weight the fluted barrel will be stiffer or say it this way for equal stiffness the fluted barrel will be lighter. For equal weight a fluted barrel will stay cooler over a string of shots. I don't own a fluted barrel but would consider one for some applications.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Grand Master

I have used Hart 2, Lilja 1, Pac Nor 1, Shilen 1. kriegers 5 and a couple others off and on. I perfer cut rifled when possible. I have seen others friends have used and the results. You make your choice and take your chances. I have heard the Old shooters that when they got a Hummer barrel ( barrel that shot exceptionaly well) they would save it and use only for special matches or events. Yp into the late 60s early 70s getting a true performer was alot harder than now is. With modern manufacturering new technologies and all the great barrels are more the norm than the exception. But then I still wish my M1A had the Boots Obermeyer tube on it

Boolit Bub
    Bottom of my list..

I have used 5. 22-250, .250 Sav, 6.5 Rem mag, 8x57, and .450 Marlin. All were sub MOA. The .250 Sav is on a round top Sako, full length bedded and will shoot 75 to 120 gr bullets into the same group. So yes buy with confidence and ignore the snobs. Best, Thomas.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12