Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee Precision

Thread: ??Adding Wave Washer to Sprue Plate Screw??

Boolit Buddy

??Adding Wave Washer to Sprue Plate Screw??

Some of the moulds around here have washers, some don't, and my mechanic's sensibilities make me want to put wave washers on those that don't have anything for the sprue plate screw.

I'm also tempted to put the star type lock washers on the set screws too.

Worth it? Makes little difference with iron and temps we run moulds at?

Comments, cautions, recommendations???

Boolit Master

I put wave washers where ever I can, pivot point on the mold handles for one, use a long allen screw on the pivot of the sprue plate with the nuts with an integrated star type washer which turns with the plate, I like doing this it leaves the screw in the mold, so easy to mess up the threads on an aluminum mold, they can be very unforgiving, if I have you confused I'll see about taking some pic's.

What is the wave spring's deflection force, in pounds?

Boolit Buddy
    The washer is called a belleville washer............

Boolit Master
    One brass mold with wear on the outside edge of the mold where the bolt is got me thinking.

I only need pressure on the inside of the sprue plate. I made a ball and spring assembly to only put pressure in one spot and aligned it with the sprue plate stop (white dot).

Works great! I've modified 2 molds. Cast over 70 lbs of boolits so far. MP molds have a collar around the pivot screw that the assembly sits on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MPmod.jpg  
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

There are wave washers and there are bellville washers. Two different things. Bellvilles are cone shaped, wave washers are, well, wavy. Belvilles tend to be for higher load applications from what I've seen. I use them, they work fine.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I have a few Lyman/Ideal molds that came new with the cone shaped "bellville" washers. I have replaced most of my sprue plate screw washers with "wave" washers. metric size 6MM, just add them to the stack next to the plate. I wondered about heat softening, long term, been 4 years and none have softened yet.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rattletrap1970 View Post
    There are wave washers and there are bellville washers. Two different things. Bellvilles are cone shaped, wave washers are, well, wavy. Belvilles tend to be for higher load applications from what I've seen. I use them, they work fine.
    Grammar Nazi at work here: Which "them" do you use which work fine???

Boolit Master
    wave washer

belleville washer

Maybe I'm just really lucky, but I've never had real issues with sprueplates that don't have pressure exerted on them by a wave or belleville washer.

Based on my experience, the perfect sprueplate (note lack of washer)

I left my participle dangling again...

Boolit Master

Control yourself! This is a mixed forum!
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Don't let your participle dangle in the dirt, pick up your participle and tie it in your shirt....

Boolit Master
    " Maybe I'm just really lucky, but I've never had real issues with sprueplates that don't have pressure exerted on them by a wave or belleville washer."

Paul H, Your lucky and also your so far north, that there is no mold heat expansion in Alaska ! Great pictures too, thank you.

Mike

Boolit Master

Lee Precision-the Manufacturer-calls them wave washers. In my mind Bellville washers are something else-check McMaster-Carr or some other supply source. Wiki says they are also called cone-spring washers, something altogether different.
    Let's not perpetuate disinformation.
    Respectfully
    Bill
    Didn't mean to pile on-or show off. I just wanted to share correct information and did so before seeing that the correction had already been made. Photographically no less.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Grand Master

A standard split lock washer works great if you flatten out the ends of the washer with a file. My older Lyman molds came new equipped with them. If you don't file the ends flat the dig in and cause problems.
    For the Lee 6 cavity that I flatten the bottom of the sprue plate on my belt sander I add an appropriate number of wave washers from Ace hardware.

Substitute for LEE SC2044 WAVE WASHER .330 ID

Necro'ing an old thread, but a good replacement for the wave washers on a Lee 6 cavity mold is for an M8 DIN137A (or DIN 137 type A). 0.5mm thick, for a nominal M8 bolt. A DIN137B is 0.8mm thick, and is too thick to allow the sprue pivot bolt to tighten against its shoulder without clamping the sprue tight to the mold block.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LEE wavewasher.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	257852

Boolit Buddy

I always add a wave washer when I'm fixing up an old iron mold. Those old lock washers have no spring left in them.