RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: Who loads .270 here?

Boolit Master

Who loads .270 here?

Searching this forum I can't get a hit on 270, pardon me if I'm being redundant. ?? is, can I load cast boolits for my a-bolt 270 that come close to j-word bullets in performance? Thanks for any info...

You need to address the use of cast bullets in the 270. You can send linotype down range up to 2700fps, but I wouldn't be shooting game with that round. When shooting matches with CBA most guys kept things around 1600-1800 fps. You could come up with a good bullet for hunting but it should be kept at a velocity that is first accurate and does not cause leading.
    Charlie

Banned

performance yes, velocity I doubt it, same range no.

Short answer yes...real answer no, but kinda. Got that all squared away now? Lol
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Free bullit you sound like a politician!!! lol
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

My 270 is all about dependable performance, with extended range for game animals.

I could load cast for target work, but I have several other calibers more suited for that.
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    To be really honest that's the only one I don't cast for, but it's also my favorite long range meat maker! If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Well guess I will try to kill this thread with what seems logical to me.

130-150gr bullets leave a 270 around 3k fps. Molds exist from saeco and rcbs in those weights, cast can't handle that velocity normally. There is even a group buy in the group buy discussion section on a 150gr custom mold and they are having trouble getting enough folks to sign up, and with good reason-the mold is already available. Aside from Gears' excellent write up on paper patching to get to top velocity the only way we can get there is to go with a heavy for caliber boolit to bring the speed down.

I have shot 180gr jbulls from 2 different 270's. Most 270s' to my understanding have 1in 10 twist barrels. That is enough to stabilize a 180gr boolit, works well for the 308. My hornady manual has data for a 180gr moving at 2500fps. That speed could well be attainable from most 270s' with hunting accuracy in a cast boolit.

We need a group buy for a wide meplat or hollow point 180gr .278-9 boolit mold to try to reach the cartridges true potential with boolits. Until that happens we will only have shorter range neutered cast boolit loads for our 270s' unless you get everything together to follow Geargnashers' lead on paper patching.

If I haven't killed this thread we should start a group buy discussion, get 15 people together, have one of the forums excellent boolit designers help us, & get a mold maker to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by freebullet View Post
    .....We need a group buy for a wide meplat or hollow point 180gr .278-9 boolit mold to try to reach the cartridges true potential with boolits. Until that happens we will only have shorter range neutered cast boolit loads for our 270s' unless you get everything together to follow Geargnashers' lead on paper patching.

If I haven't killed this thread we should start a group buy discussion, get 15 people together, have one of the forums excellent boolit designers help us, & get a mold maker to make it happen.
    Then you could paper patch that boolit for your 7mm.
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Boolit Master
    I play around with 120 and 150 grainers in cast for my 270 but as with most of my guns, cast is only a reason to shoot them cheaply and with alot less noice and recoil. I would not be afraid to use my 150 grainers for deer inside of 150 yards but I have much better stuff for that.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    Searching this forum I can't get a hit on 270, pardon me if I'm being redundant. ?? is, can I load cast boolits for my a-bolt 270 that come close to j-word bullets in performance? Thanks for any info...
    Try this:

And this:

Or this:

The top target was the first time with the Rem. 700 in 270
    The other two had some load changes making better groups
    All are 5 shot groups at 100 yards.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    I play around with 120 and 150 grainers in cast for my 270 but as with most of my guns, cast is only a reason to shoot them cheaply and with alot less noice and recoil. I would not be afraid to use my 150 grainers for deer inside of 150 yards but I have much better stuff for that.
    There's a whole lot of truth in that post. I'm not currently loading the .270 for myself but I have been helping a friend with a TC and a savage rifle. The .270 is a great jacketed round but when you compare it to it's kissing cousin, the 7mm, there isn't squat for moulds. You barely even see custom moulds on this site! Even in a well stocked store .270 gas checks are hard to find.

So to sum up: great cartridge. Paltry component selection for cast. Way easier to find "stuff" for a 7mm or .30
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

I would like to try about a 90 grain boolit mould for .270. I think it would make a good turkey round and maybe even for squirrel when I'm deer hunting. Mostly just for fun though of course.

Chsparkman-I'm purty sure there is a 110gr mold in current production. I want to say it is a saeco mold, I don't remember for certain.

I have wanted a 180gr mold for this caliber since I started casting. It seems like a no brainer to me, I'm surprised it doesn't exist. Maybe it does but I haven't found it.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Boolit Master
    Paper patching is the way to go IMO with a 270 Win. Buckshot, here on this site, can make boolit sizers in any cal you want and quality is top-shelf.

In the end, you can't actually duplicate jacketed, however, mainly because ballistic coefficients for lead will always be inferior in this small a projectile. Though you can often beat jacketed velocity with paper patching (at the muzzle, not 500 or 1000 yards down range.)

Quote Originally Posted by fatnhappy View Post
    ....So to sum up: great cartridge. Paltry component selection for cast. Way easier to find "stuff" for a 7mm or .30
    +1 FatnHappy!
    If you want to hand load and cast: there are more supplies for 7mm (7'08, 7x57, 280). If you want readily available factory ammo as a option, go 270 Win.
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.