Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Nassau "Pedigreed" Solder

Boolit Mold

Nassau "Pedigreed" Solder

Hi All..
    I have an old 5LB roll of solder from way back and I was wondering if any of you might know whats its comprised of and whether or not I would be able to use it in my alloy?
    The markings are as follows:
    -Nassau "Pedigreed" Products
    -Pure Water White
    -Rosin Core Solder (5lbs)
    -C Rosin
    -Spec AT 7076
    -49 66

Thanks

You got me curious so I spent a dozen minutes with google. There are lots of auctions past and present, the stuff is pretty pricey. But nowhere a spec to be found.

I'd confidently use it assuming it is at least 50% tin, quite possibly more. So a pound of this would bring 25 pounds of lead to the happy 2% tin content.

But if you decide it's too spooky I'll PM you my shipping address and dispose of it safely
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --H. L. Menchen

Boolit Master

My google search lead me to a site that sells solder, and their 'pure water white' is a silver solder, http://www.welbornelabs.com/cat/solder.htm . They have both the lead/tin/silver, and the tin/antimony/silver varieties. It should be good stuff.

mikey, I revisited google and found lots of evidence that "pure natural water white gum rosin" indicates the material of the water-soluble flux core but not the alloy. If the solder really is from 'way back' (70's-80's) it's probably tin/lead.

btwoms, if you'd like I can probably get it analyzed at work if you send me enough to make an ingot the size of a half-dollar.
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --H. L. Menchen

Boolit Buddy
    You might consider selling it outside casting circles. Apparently audio electronics nerds go nuts for this stuff. Check out the discussion at http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/arc.../t-451049.html
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --BattleRife

Good point. The folks who restore/repair old radios are often purists, and would probably jump at the chance to be able to restore their old radios with genuine old solder!!

Boolit Mold
    Thanks guys.. i appreciate the added research.. im gonna try and sell it.. if i dont get a decent offer im might take el34 up on his offer to analize it. If its got the ingredients id like to just use it for my casting alloy..
    Thanks again.
    Brian