Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Poor Ingot Poured

Boolit Bub

Poor Ingot Poured

Hi all. This may be my first post not sur. I have been reading and am very thankful for all the information.
    I just did my first melting of wheel weights. I use a LP furnace (plumber’s pot) and stick-ons sorted from the clip-ons. Tried to remove the zinc and steel from the lead. Don’t think I did a good job of that. The stick-on seemed to work well and I was able to keep the temp below 700 deg F. the zinc ones floated. Didn’t know there were zinc stick-on. My ingots poured well.
    Now for the clip-on. I think the zinc melted with the lead. I tried to skim it off but not pleased with the ingots. I poured into a small cast iron pot. (8LB) when I knocked the ingot out the bottom was crystallized and broke off. Is this a temp problem or zinc problem?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clip-on ingot.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	91238

Boolit Master

Looks like you dumped the ingot before it cooled sufficiently. When it is still hot it is soft enough to break. An 8 lb ingot like that is going to take a while to cool enough to stay together.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Master

Remelt, repour, then be patient. Give it 5 or 10 minutes to cool, then drop it into a bucket of water, or wait even longer. It will not break up.

Probably not Zinc but the temp when you dumped it out!

Boolit Grand Master

As mentioned you dumped the ingot to soon. Let it cool more. What you see in the crystalline structure is the antimony rich/tin poor nature of WWs. That causes the tin and lead to harden and different temps. Let it cool. If you want excellent bullets instead of good bullets add 2% tin to that alloy before casting bullets with it.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the help and lesson. patients with a new project not one of my strong points. 2% tin will do,

Brucifer if you will pay the shipping I will send you as a Christmas gift 2 of my 2 cavity ingot molds but this being the giving time of the year just pay the shipping and they are your give me a pm and let me know if you want to do this D Crockett