MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: RCBS Ammomaster Progressive and Piggyback II's Hints and Tips Thread

RCBS Ammomaster Progressive and Piggyback II's Hints and Tips Thread

I recently got into progressive reloading after doing it all on a single stage for 10 years. I sort of fell into deals on the RCBS progressives that use the tube primer setup and now find myself with one Ammomaster and 3 Piggyback II's with a RS5 Press that they attach to. I have been using them for about 2 years now and find that there is a lack of information about these presses on the web and some outright bad information about them. I am starting this thread to add tips tricks and upgrades all in one place that I have found works and please add more to it for what you have found works. Again this is what works for me. I am looking for other peoples experience and tips and tricks. Please do not use the thread to bash this equipment.

1st a description of the presses:

Ammomaster - 5 stage progressive or manual indexing (you choose). It can also be setup as a single stage press with a kit and also has a kit to reload 50 BMG. It is also strong enough to perform some bullet swaging. As it comes from RCBS it has an automatic case activated powder dispensing system with a shell sensing system. It did not have a case feeder or bullet feeder from the factory although people have added other brands equipment to add these features. If you had to have just one press this one is the only one I know of that can do it all.

Piggyback II - This came before the Ammomaster and is what it was designed (upsized) from. It has all of the features of the Ammomaster in a smaller size. It can handle all pistol calibers. It requires a RS5 or Rock Chucker press to work as it attaches on the top of these presses. It says it can handle .223/5.56 and 7.62x39 BUT I have had problems with this on my press with the Lee Dies I use so I only load pistol loads on the Piggybacks.

My setups that I have found that work:

Piggyback II - I have one setup for Large Primers and one setup for Small Primers. I use the following dies in these positions. I use mostly Lee Dies except for a few exceptions. I have found that they work great and produce ammo that works great for me. There are some limitations they have but overall they just work. I have modified my RCBS RS5 press by drilling a hole in the top front arm of the press that lines up with the alignment pin on the Piggyback. Normally the alignment pin would be removed when used with a RS5 press but I find it useful.

Station 1 - Size and De-prime Die setup with press at top of stroke and screw in against the shell plate holder and then back press arm off and turn die in 1/4 turn.

Station 2 - No die. Priming system only.

Station 3 - Lee Powder through expander dies with a Lee Auto Disc Powder Measure setup properly. Adjust the die in until it will just work the powder measure through a full stroke any more will damage brass and any less with result in inaccurate powder charges. I have polished the base of the powder dispenser where the plates go and I make sure to not tighten down the screws that hold the powder dispenser too tight. These measures will throw consistent charges if you take some time with them. They have a better case sensing mechanism that the RCBS powder drop system. I have used the Pro version of this measure but found that the standard Auto Disc works just as well and is cheaper. Also I always install the swivel adapters on all of these powder measures. The expander portion of the die seems to work well for me and expands the case mouth for easy feeding of boolits and bullets.

Station 4 - Lee Bullet seating die. I use Lee's instructions to set this die up for no crimp. It is just used to seat the bullet. These dies come apart easy for cleaning (bullet lube mostly from my 45/45/10 tumble lube).

Station 5 - Lee Factory Crimp Die. I have found that these dies will give me the crimp I need and will also ensure the cases will feed in my autoloaders. Just follow the Lee instructions for setup.

Some tips for the pistol setup.

-The Piggyback to Press nut is hard to tighten with the included wrench. Remove the alignment pin and you get the room you need to use the wrench and then you can put the pin back in. If it comes loose it will affect your stroke. Check that it stays tight by trying to move the piggyback relative to the RS5 press before you start loading and after every primer tube.

-ALWAYS ALWAYS use full strokes. It will keep you from damaging the indexing bushing and causing the press to come out of time.

-This is not a race. Take your time and watch all of the stations. Listen to the sounds. Get a rhythm going. Get a feel for the press.

-Look at all cases prior to putting them in the press. Check for proper caliber, military/crimped brass (put them aside for proper depriming and primer pocket swaging before running through the progressive press). A crimped primer pocket and forcing the press is probably how I did most of my damage to the press. If it feels hard on the priming stroke then STOP and remove that piece of brass and primer. You can lift up the shell plate slightly (not enough to get the indexing rod up into the twist portion) and remove the shell and primer. If you lift the shell plate too far then manually index the shell plate around. Unload it and start over. It will save you time over replacing the index bushing. You will be safe if you don't lift higher than the top of the indexing pin.

-If the priming stroke feels like a hard stop without a slight resistance then you are either out of primers or it failed to pick one up. Check the priming system. I have found polishing all of the priming system parts and following the manuals instructions to the letter results in a system that works. Also ANY powder spill or getting dirt/oil/grease etc in the priming system will mess it up. If I spill powder I use compressed air (my compressor and garage are right next to my bench) and blow out all of it. If it failed to pick up a primer lift the shell plate with the arm until it is just at the top of the alignment pin and pull back on the primer arm to pick up a primer and then allow it to go back to position to prime the shell and stroke the arm back up to prime.

-Until you either smooth out the powder measure or are sure it is setup properly you should pull a case every 10 -20 cases to check charge. Make sure the powder measure is doing a full stroke and is returning to the start position to get the next charge. I also have a light shining down towards the press in that area so I can see the charge in the case. After these powder measures are smoothed out and setup properly they are very reliable.

-Once you get the feel of it and get a rhythm going you can load 200-300 per hour comfortably. That is the speed that I get with mine without trying too hard. Use the primer tube filling breaks to check some of the loaded rounds for primer seating depth and crimp appearance.

-The manual is your friend. Use it and follow the instructions in it. I believe most of the problems attributed to these presses are due to not following the instructions. I can and have gone over 1000 rounds in a loading session without a problem. But that is the exception. I will usually have a few issues in a loading session but it is normally my error or a crimped primer pocket I missed.

Next Post I will cover the Ammomaster and my rifle setup. Please feel free to add any tips you can share on these great presses. I will also take some pictures and add them later.

Boolit Buddy
    I have two Piggy Back 11 presses, I find the advantage of the 5 position tool head allows for a lock out die, I will not load on a progressive press without one. I can seat on one position and crimp on another, but for years I have seated and crimped on one position.

I also have the Dillon 550B, it is used more for rifle than for short cases. I use a powder checker die on it.

Shell plates, if a reloader has shell plates for the Piggy Back type press there is an advantage when upgrading to The Pro 2000 and or the #3.

F. Guffey

Boolit Master
    I also use the lee powder through measure system on my Ammomaster for pistol reloads. I found the Dillon primer alarm is easy to adapt to the ammomaster and prevents those frustrating hard stops when the primer tube runs dry. I use a smooth full stroke and find the ammomaster to be very smooth and reliable. I like the extra room for my fingers. My only complaint is the very long operating handle is overkill for pistol reloading and it looks like the custom handle that I have on my Hornady LnL progressive (also a very fine press). will fit and shorten the stroke. The ammomaster is very nice for rifle as the leverage makes easy work.

Quote Originally Posted by OuchHot! View Post
    I also use the lee powder through measure system on my Ammomaster for pistol reloads. I found the Dillon primer alarm is easy to adapt to the ammomaster and prevents those frustrating hard stops when the primer tube runs dry. I use a smooth full stroke and find the ammomaster to be very smooth and reliable. I like the extra room for my fingers. My only complaint is the very long operating handle is overkill for pistol reloading and it looks like the custom handle that I have on my Hornady LnL progressive (also a very fine press). will fit and shorten the stroke. The ammomaster is very nice for rifle as the leverage makes easy work.
    I have three of the Ammomaster Auto presses, one was/is the BMG model (it's a bit bigger than my other two) that I'd changed over to a progressive but when I bought the third one I changed it back to a SS....so two in progressive mode...HUGE presses, very smooth and very versatile (I have run one in manual index mode loading 223).....also I'd be curious to find out if the custom handle for your Hornady fits the AM, I've seen pictures and looks like they would be a real benefit....the best "change" I've made to these presses (and one of the reasons I think they weren't more popular) was to change that hoke powder charge system with the new Linkage type...now that's made a world of difference to me...I tried a Lee Pro disc measure but couldn't get it to clear the indexing rod when I cycled the press...turned it all which ways....no worky for me....I wouldn't trade them for any other press...

Boolit Master
    I think that there is a spacer for the lee Pro disc that goes atop the powder thru die...I'm at work now but I'll take a look at what I did to mine when I can. I am using the Pro disc on pistol calibers so I know it can be done and clear the index rod. I didn't install the Hornady LnL handle yet but I recall thinking it was the same dia and the dog leg looked just right......I bought it from vendor off this list a year or so ago.

One AmmoMaster and two Piggies. I didn't like the long straight handle on the AmmoMaster so I had a machine shop take about 6" off and thread it. While at it, I had them bend the bottom a few degrees. It now resembles the handles on my Hornady ProJectors in length and offset. Plus, I had them thread the 6" short section so I can put it back on in case I need the length back.

Boolit Master

Piggy & Ammomaster are what I use.

The little spring that returns the primer shuttle to it's rest position for me has been prong to fly at warp speed across the shop, never to be see again. So I drilled and tapped one of the little nubs it slips over and installed a 4x40 screw there.

I use the RCBS powder measures on them. The first time I tried one of their micrometer adjusters I quickly threw away the ones they ship with the measures and installed micros. Very sweet.

Replaced both of the 8x32 finger screws that hold the progressing ratchet arm to the shell plate with Allen heads. Also drilled and tapped the set screw that clamps the case ejector (was a 6x32) to a 10x32 for better gripping and now it takes the same Allen wrench that all the other small screws do.

I tend to load a primer tube full and then go do something else. I leave the press set up ready to pull the handle for next time.

I replaced the handle on the RockChucker with one the same length as the Ammomaster. I heated and bent an offset in both machines handles for a little better clearance.

Oh yes. The hole in the frame that the spent primer tube runs through was scoring up the side of the plastic badly so I drilled it out (I think to 5/8ths, not sure) and then beveled the top of the frame to aide it's movement.

I love these presses. I've tried a few of others' presses and have come back to these beauties. I load from 32 ACP to 45-70 progressively. I like the fact that you can see the powder fall. That way you know it's there.

I set my dies up this way:

1. Size/de-prime.
    2. Bell (usually a Lyman M die)/prime.
    3. Powder drop. I can see it fall so no need for a powder check die.
    4. Bullet seating. No crimping here usually.
    5. Crimping. Mostly a Lee Factory Crimp die.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master
    Its interesting all the different ways people get use from their tools.
    I use my Piggy 2 pretty much just for 45 acp. I have and it will do many others up to 223. But 45 is what I am shooting in Volume right now.
    I decap and prime off the press. Not because my Piggy wont do it. But I wanted station 2 for a powder drop station.
    I dont want to seat a primmer under my powder drop.
    Starting with a unsized, primmed case.

Station 1= Full length size with out the decapping pin.

Station 2= Expand case mouth/Powder drop using LEE auto disk pro.

Station 3= Powder check die.

Station 4= Hornady bullet feed die, converted for cast bullets and tube feed.

Station 5= Seat and crimp.

Thats how I use it 80% of the time. Some times my whims kick in and I try some thing different.

Boolit Master
    I took a look at my ammomaster and there is nothing special about the way I mounted the lee prodisc for pistol reloading. The measure would be right next to the knob on the stock lever but I decided that lever was too long anyhoo. I had bought the ergo lever from Inline Fabrication for my hornady LnL progressive and so I put the old stock hornady lever onto the ammomaster....same threads etc but 6-7" shorter. The hornady lever just comes up to the die plate level and gives me plenty of knuckle room and leverage (it is red, however). I use the rcbs measure for rifle reloading but never felt the need to go back to the long lever.

I took a look at my ammomaster and there is nothing special about the way I mounted the lee prodisc for pistol reloading. The measure would be right next to the knob on the stock lever but I decided that lever was too long anyhoo. I had bought the ergo lever from Inline Fabrication for my hornady LnL progressive and so I put the old stock hornady lever onto the ammomaster....same threads etc but 6-7" shorter. The hornady lever just comes up to the die plate level and gives me plenty of knuckle room and leverage (it is red, however). I use the rcbs measure for rifle reloading but never felt the need to go back to the long lever.

The reason I was having trouble with the Lee Pro Disc on the Ammomaster is, I was trying to use it in station two so I could gain a station.....nope.....(the combination of the index rod and primer tube wouldn't allow it for room) however I found out when I started reloading 9mm that the new case activated powder linkage I installed on the Uniflows wouldn't adjust for fit with that dinky case, so I installed the Lee in station three with the powder through expander (station two is empty) and it works absolutely great....I could re-install the original powder drop system (ugh) but the Lee works so well the original isn't even in the equation now.....but I'll probably only use the Lee for 9mm, the Uniflows with the new linkage system works very well for everything else I load for...

Boolit Bub
    I've reloaded on an Ammomaster for 20 years. Recently switched over to a Dillon XL650, so the Ammomaster doesn't get much love anymore. The Ammomaster is a great press. I didn't like the uniflow with the rod system and switched over to the new linkage system witch was a great improvement.

Tips for reloading .223 7.62x39 and 300 AAC Blackout on Piggyback II

-Use manual indexing. Rounds are too long for auto indexing with Lee Dies.
    -Again as with any brass no brass with crimped primer pockets. De-crimp before loading.

Boolit Buddy

http://www.handloadersbench.com/forum12/17994.html

regarding the PBII, follow this link in a thread I posted (#15, 17) from a few years back, may help those using, or having issues with the PBII...just my experience....fwiw.

Boolit Master

I have an original Piggyback (upgraded) and an Ammo Master Progressive, and I love them both. I actually bought the Ammo Master based on my positive experience with the PB when I decided to start loading .30-06 progressively.

Although switching primer sizes is not hard, I have settled into a routine where everything that uses small primers gets loaded on the PB, everything that gets a large primer gets loaded on the Ammo Master. For me that means the PB loads 9mm, .38 spl, .357 magnum, .30 carbine, and .223 (which gives me no problems.) The Ammo Master loads .44 spl, .44 magnum, .45 ACP, .30-06, .30-30, and 7.7 Japanese.

Boolit Buddy

Catshooter...long time PBII guy here, your tips in tweaking the press are great and address some of the inherint issues, albeit fairly minor...and added to those in my post/link #13 above, it's a fine press IMO.

Wondering if anyone has come up with a "blast shield" for the primer tube as are supplied on many of today's more modern presses. I prefer to prime on the press, but I've always been a bit nervous with 100 primers staring me in the face in an unprotected tube! I had thoughts of slipping a tube/pipe of some sort over the supplied priming tube but it won't clear the die plate as I recall....any thoughts on this?

Great forum!
    Ron

Boolit Master

Thanks for the kind words Ron.

RCBS agrees with you about the scary aspect of 100 primers. With their Rockchucker 4, the priming system has a blast tube that encloses the aluminum primer tube.

I have set off primers when seating them with both of my RCBS presses. Just the one that went off was a problem none of the ones in the tubes were affected.

I don't worry about it anymore.

Welcome to the forum.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master
    I have been intending to get a piece of (maybe 3/4") seamless hydraulic tubing to slide over the outside of the primer tube. Fresh out of roundtuits, so far.

Boolit Buddy

I have been intending to get a piece of (maybe 3/4") seamless hydraulic tubing to slide over the outside of the primer tube. Fresh out of roundtuits, so far.
    now we're talkin'!

my thoughts exactly, at a quick search I find some stainless steel tube (and other materials) here:
    http://www.metalsdepot.com/products/...page=stainless pipe&LimAcc=%20&aident=

haven't mic'd the PBII aluminum tube, but if the correct size is found, I would think a full tube blast would go upwards rather than in the operators face, or may go downward into the press I suppose since there is no way to seal off the bottom....or would we just be creating additional shrapnel!!??

Then there is the issue of clearance above at the die plate...

Thoughts?

(again, I have loaded many 1000's of rounds on the PBII without incident, and I like the press (once tweaked), but it's always on my mind as I look at that aluminum tube while reloading!)
    Last edited by rpludwig; 01-20-2014 at 06:42 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I learned to reload on a RL550 but now use an ammomaster progressive. I wanted a taller press with the ability to convert to single stage for BMG size cartridges.

I prime my cases off the press, for me is is easier and lets me inspect the cases and I don't have to bother with the priming setup.

I have "upgraded" to the rcbs and / or hornady case activated linkages for the powder measures. They are GREAT! The parts are interchangeable and the hornady version was less expensive when I bought mine. As mentioned above the micro "upgrade" for the powder measure is great. I record the micro settings in my load book and it gets me really close to the correct weight the next time I set up for that load.

I am going to try the cap screw mod for the wire ejector as mine is a PITA.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by A pause for the COZ View Post

Station 4= Hornady bullet feed die, converted for cast bullets and tube feed.
    very interested in this modification. need pictures!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast