Thread: cast Boolits , I mean Buckshot

Boolit Bub

cast Boolits , I mean Buckshot

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB250019.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	122.8 KB 
ID:	90200Hi Guys
    Just came back from some pig hunting . I had my pump 308 and my 12ga/ .308 combo for work of the bike. I load the 3 inch shells with 18 x 1 buck pellets , each pellet is #2 alloy and weighs about 40gr velocity is about 1150 fps.
    The pictures show how much abuse the pellets get just from barrel scrub and contact in the barrel . They are damaged less by contact with target.
    The picture of the pig with the knife shows the travel of pellets, I removed 3 pellets from this pig found on the other side of the impact. The other 2 pellets from another pig all in all we shot 39 pigs . The hand cast load , I find patterns much tighter than standard swagged pellets, which deform much much more opening up patternsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	buckshot.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	90195Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pig buck.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	167.7 KB 
ID:	90196Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pig buck2.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	186.8 KB 
ID:	90197Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pig buck 2nd.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	163.1 KB 
ID:	90198Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB260051.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	157.9 KB 
ID:	90199
    Last edited by boca; 12-11-2013 at 06:33 AM.

Boolit Master

Cool!!!

Nice pictures, could I ask how you carry you gun on your bike??? and what state do you live? I sure wish we had a hog problem here in Michigan, I love hunting hogs.

Boolit Bub
    Hi
    I used to carry my gun on my shoulder. After hrs on the saddle it starts to hurt. For the past few years I have used a cradle on the bikes handle bars which works well. I am a long way from Michigan

Australia is my guess

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by desteve811 View Post
    Australia is my guess
    I was thinking the same.

Very cool! I have loaded some buckshot I cast, but haven't had a chance to kill anything yet.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Banned

I killed a couple of freezers and a fridge with my load using 2.5-3% antimony, pushed at about 1200 fps.
    penetration was 100% ,,well about 99.9% I did find 3-4 pellets after firing 100 rounds in testing.
    after casting I put about 5 pounds at a time in the tumbler and squirt them with a wiff of graphite, letting them run for about an hour and a half.
    this rounds off the nibs a bit and helps get them through the choke a bit better.

Boolit Buddy
    39 pigs, that is a lot of shooting!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Phillips View Post
    39 pigs, that is a lot of shooting!
    alot of riding for them. The combo 12ga / .308 works well of the bike . Took a while to remember which trigger did what . I pulled of some good shots on running pigs and the .308 and some dusty shots on pigs out at 120m with the 12ga. But I now know which is which .
    Yep Australia , pigs are a problem down here from taking lambs to spreading disease they cause problems. How bad a problem are the pigs in the states? I would be interested to Know

Banned

well there's a saying in texas about there are two types of landowners there, the ones that have hog's and the ones that are gonna have them soon nuff' for sure.
    from what I hear all but two states have wild pigs now.

Boolit Bub
    That interesting runfive. They have been a problem here for a long time there numbers build in good seasons, By that I mean good rains good crops . When the drought hits they become more adventures and become to mass close to food and water I have shot 30 to 35 per
    day when in the first few years of a drought . In the middle of a drought I would be lucky to shot 1-3 a week . As soon as the conditions are right good rains bumper crops whinin a year or 2 the numbers start to rise again.
    Have The pigs always been a problem or are they becoming more of a problem?

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    I like the 2 wheeler. That is the way to get about and chase up unwanted vermin.
    Going to have to seriously work with buckshot. Never have beyond the idea of "repel boarders".
    That firearm with the 12 guage and caliber.308 would be a dandy. Up close and far well covered.
    Thanks for the write up ! No pigs in our deserts...
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    boca
    So why don't you use a shot wad in your buck loads? I use WAA12 white for mine- no barrel scrub on my buck loads. Good for both 3" and 2 3/4".

Boolit Buddy
    I live just off the Eglin A F Base bombing range and the cross breed hogs here have wrecked 3/4ton trucks in accidents. Hogs in northwest Florida are the only game that will hunt you back and eat you if they get you. Its year round shooting on ferral hogs.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnut 45/454 View Post
    boca
    So why don't you use a shot wad in your buck loads? I use WAA12 white for mine- no barrel scrub on my buck loads. Good for both 3" and 2 3/4".
    I do use wads with the buck loads I use wads for steel shot stronger than the lead load wads. Its amazing how much the pellets get damaged.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit7.5 View Post
    I live just off the Eglin A F Base bombing range and the cross breed hogs here have wrecked 3/4ton trucks in accidents. Hogs in northwest Florida are the only game that will hunt you back and eat you if they get you. Its year round shooting on ferral hogs.
    Hi
    Feral pigs are very smart ,many have charged me and am shaw if I was knocked over they would maul me also . Yep,there are nuggets of an animal There shoulders are armour plated and when wallow in mud can deflect smaller projectiles. Its amazing the different climates and regions that pigs feel at home in. Whats the landscape there in eglin bandit ?

Boolit Master
    Boca,

From your pictures, it appears the damage is from compression against other pellets in choke passage. I would surmise from damage pattern the pellets are stacked in layers of three inside the steel shot type wads you mentioned. If so you may want to look at these threads for some pressure tested tight patterning .30" and .60", (yes .60"), buckshot loading alternatives!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...shot-revisited

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...sequence/page2
    Last edited by RMc; 12-23-2013 at 10:59 AM.

Boolit Bub
    Hi RMC thanks for the links I will read them fully later.
    I had worked on these loads a few years ago and my patterns on average where 11 inches at 30 m with all .31 pellets . James from dixie slugs was very help full in supplying me with useful information on this load . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2xf tps (Small).JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	91412 I also did some work with some other friends with a .60 tri ball load, we did not have much success and the project was shelved, The problem was that the bottom ball had trouble separating from the wad ( This may be that we didn't have any mica to lube the wad.) You have to remember that here in Australia we are limited in the supply of shooting products, and it was the reason that I tried to get a tight patterning load was to be close to the pattern of a flight control wad load, that alas we can not get here.
    I can see from the pellets that most of the deformation is from set back and barrel scrub . I would be interested in others who have retrieved buckshot pellets to compare. I may start to use buffer again, But didnt see to much change in pattern size to bother . I didn't look at evenness though
    regards boca
    Quote Originally Posted by RMc View Post
    Boca,

From your pictures, it appears the damage is from compression against other pellets in choke passage. I would surmise from damage pattern the pellets are stacked in layers of three inside the steel shot type wads you mentioned. If so you may want to look at these threads for some pressure tested tight patterning .30" and .60", (yes .60"), buckshot loading alternatives!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...shot-revisited

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...sequence/page2

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boca View Post
    Hi RMC thanks for the links I will read them fully later.
    I had worked on these loads a few years ago and my patterns on average where 11 inches at 30 m with all .31 pellets . James from dixie slugs was very help full in supplying me with useful information on this load . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2xf tps (Small).JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	91412 I also did some work with some other friends with a .60 tri ball load, we did not have much success and the project was shelved, The problem was that the bottom ball had trouble separating from the wad ( This may be that we didn't have any mica to lube the wad.) You have to remember that here in Australia we are limited in the supply of shooting products, and it was the reason that I tried to get a tight patterning load was to be close to the pattern of a flight control wad load, that alas we can not get here.
    I can see from the pellets that most of the deformation is from set back and barrel scrub . I would be interested in others who have retrieved buckshot pellets to compare. I may start to use buffer again, But didnt see to much change in pattern size to bother . I didn't look at evenness though
    regards boca
    I have done extensive product testing for James Gates and the loads I discussed in the thread links are his original developments - posted in the shotgun section of this site. I suspect you are using one of the LBC (limited bore contact) wads with your .31" buckshot loads - indeed with excellent pattern results. The subtle differences in pattern with spherical buffer and Mica have as much to do with pellet lubricity as anything. This allows the pellets to "flow" through choke constriction with a reduction in friction binding against each other. A two pellet per layer stack pattern that gives the pellets "room to move" is a major part of the picture as well. If your cast buckshot have sufficient antimony content in the lead alloy used, you might also consider heat treating the pellets to a higher hardness level to resist both in bore and impact deformation.

Ralph
    Last edited by RMc; 12-24-2013 at 12:58 AM.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks Ralph
    I have printed of the links and shall read them over the xmas break . I suspect that the load I used on the pigs may have been some old loads with some red win 1 1/2 wads . I will investigate as I still have a few shells in the holder . I ran out of tps wads and took these just in case I didn't have enough. This may answer the severity of the deformation, which was a little more than I thought .
    I am using a ported 2xfull choke and noticed this gives me the tightest patterns rather than the cyl, im etc. I noticed that the porting on the wad gave it a shuttle cock feature which may help on even separation from the shot column?

would a normal full choke, damaging the pellets less, actually create a better, tighter, or both, pattern?
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast