Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my new pass time hobby

Boolit Buddy

my new pass time hobby

As ive stated before I live on the upper Chesapeake bay. Fishing is right along with shooting/hunting. Due to some vascular problems my hunting days are pretty much over. I still enjoy going to the range but with a limit on walking, thus my selling of a lot of items these past few months. I do have a nice 27 foot center console fishing boat that I use a good bit (not much walking on a boat).After much talking with my wife (permission) I decided to get a large jet ski and rig it out for fishing. This way I can go to more areas quicker and cheaper and get into more shallow areas. I thought you guys might like to see it before and after I will put some pics of it when all the riggin is done . rod holders cooler rack arches and gps/chart recorder rack installed. this should make one fine fishing machine. I had my wife set on it to give some size proportion. I sure did one pile of talking on this Yamaha FX HO Cruiser, its a big machine 11 feet long 4 ft 2 inches wide and 835 lbs with a 180hp 4 stroke. I went for one of the biggest on the market for safety reasons . I don't like the idea of rolling this thing over in November it may be a little chilly. I thought you guys might like something a little different tks ken
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1000.jpg   IMG_1003.jpg   IMG_1005.jpg   IMG_1004.jpg  

Good lord, glad you explained it's a big'un otherwise I would have thought child or photo shop. Is this something new for fishing with as I have not see any angler's out my way on jet ski's. And why did you choose this over say a Zodiac?
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy
    look up jet ski fishing plenty of info in it. Also look up jet ski sport fishing . I post quite a bit on it . this form of fishing is catching on all over the world. its a fast way to go off shore when the weather is good and a fine way to fish any of our states bays. Plenty of room and fast and stable in rough water . tks ken

Type in- Jet Ski Brian.

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    Don't forget a Bimini Top for summer it can get pretty hot on the Susquehanna flats.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Dang! That thing is BIG! The one my brother has isn't much bigger than your seat.

How well does it troll?

Jerry Jr.
    You can't buy experience, but you'll pay for it.

.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer. ~ My Dad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER Upgraded to Endowment Member 5-23-14

Boolit Master
    Judge what did you do to it to rig it for fishing? Rod holders? fish locater? bait compartment? tackle storage?

Moderator Emeritus

You could put a bathroom and a napping cot on that thing.
    grit yer teeth an pull the trigger

Boolit Grand Master

Still, in November I think I would want a dry suit! I could see it kit out for duck hunting, too.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master on Heaven's Range
    I assume fridge and microwave?
    "HMMMM.........It wasn't spos'ta do THAT!"

Moderator Emeritus

How many state rooms does that thing have??
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Banned
    Well you got me beat hands down I only got a 150 merc on my bass boat so you could go by me like I'm standing still but hey enjoy it all you can wish I had one.

Boolit Buddy
    Ttks for the input guys. Jet ski brian is the man on these things I have talked to him quite a bit. Yes I will be getting a good drysuit. I can see a sea duck setup in the future. There is quite a bit of storage in the compartments. I will be using a tackle bag with trays .It will have a spare battery for a small live bait well. the rigging is made up with a set of racks like a arch with rod holders and a cooler rack. I will post some pics of it when it is done sometime after the first of the year . This is more of a one man setup , the only time I would take my wife would be for short trips in the summer when we have warm water. Also I have 6 grandkids that will give this thing a fit pulling skis and a tube, In fact I will probably have to sign up on a list for my turn , us grand pops are soft when it comes to them kids. One of the main things with this idea is I live on the water and will have this thing in a lift. Short trips in the morning and evening when the rockfish are in shallow water is where this thing will shine. Walk down the pier jump on and go out for 2 hours . tks ken

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

That thing is huge. Get a good cover for it.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master
    Ken , your ski is awesome.I live near both Barkley and Kentucky lake and fish each several times each year.I still had no idea that anyone made such a beast.We have several that fish as well as hunt on their ski's.I thought some were crazy fishing and hunting in the dead of winter but I can see how your ski would be great for that.
    Another idea to look into as far as winter clothing is from a company called I.D.I. Gear , they make a product called Arctic Armor ice fishing suits.I love fishing in the coldest weather but I hate having to bundle up like the Michelin man to stay warm.Also the added weight of the clothes would prove fatal I am afraid if one fell into the frozen water.The Arctic Armor suits are not bulky at all and a pleasure to fish out of.They are the warmest of any type of garment I have found.They are much warmer than my Columbia waterfowler parka and bibs , but they allow your perspiration to escape so you don't sweat.The biggest selling point for me is that they float.I still have a hard time believing anything so thin can support the weight of three people and keep them afloat.I have even bought another set in camo to hunt out of.You will also find all the extra pockets are very nice and well laid out.Here is a link and be sure and check out some of their video's.They have one showing a company representative and a fox news anchor woman going into a frozen lake.Here is a link to their web site.
    http://www.idigear.com/arcticarmor.php
    If you are unwilling to defend even your own lives, then you are like mice trying to 'negotiate' with owls. You regard their ways as 'wrong', they regard you as dinner. John Farnam

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Just do NOT take it on the Mississippi or ANY of its tributaries without a crash helmet and sufficient padding.

The noise of your boat will have those 100# + Asian Carp flying into your boat with disastrous results.

Just remember,come spring we want photos of your catch and "BLACKSMITH" should be invited to all of your fish frys.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Buddy
    alrighty we have done business before many tks for your suggestion. I will give them a call it looks like it might be better then a dry suit and dry suits are high dollar .Im looking forward to coming up with ideas to store my lures and tackle where they are easy to get to. This ski will present many problems all of which will be fun to figure out . tks ken

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    You could always tow a "trailer" with your tackle and pull it along side when fishing.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

In Remembrance
    How much water does that thing draw??

Boolit Buddy
    draws 6-12 inches . it should be run in 2 feet or more due to the jet picking up seaweed sand etc. but you could run real slow in 12-18 inches watching out for sea rass beds . when its rigged out it will have 4 rod holders for bay trolling rods and 4 for spinning rods with one cut out for a fly rod. it will probably look a little bit like a porky-pine. all kidding aside I wont have all the rods on at once but just many places to put them . altho I expect to run with 2 trollers and 2 spinners and one fly rod tks ken

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast