Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load Data Wideners

Thread: 43 spanish

Boolit Man

43 spanish

I have just received an old 43 cal spanish barrel from John Taylor. The bore looks really good. I fitted it to an old rolling block action. I would like to know if anyone has a couple of pieces of brass and some cast bullets they might want to sell. I don' t want to invest a lot of money for brass and molds till I know how this thing will shoot. If it shoots good I will polish it up a little and blue it. Needed a winter project and here it is . John

Well.....you will likely find that it doesn't shoot all that great until you fit the cases and boolits to its particular chamber and bore/groove. Just trying to pop off a few rounds fit to somebody else's gun will tell you if it will fire, assuming they will chamber, and it will likely not shoot to anywhere near its potential. From inspecting a fairly large number of them I have concluded that they are all pretty much individuals. They will all work reasonably well with military spec ammo, good enough to go to war anyhow, but if you want real accuracy you need to be prepared to spend a little time getting to know your particular rifle.

-Nobade

Boolit Man
    Yes , I know that but I need some brass to fire form to my chamber . At the prices they charge for the brass I don't want to buy a full box till I can work with it for a while. I can slug the barrel and see what diameter it takes. I am willing to pay , I just don't want to jump in with both feet till I know how it shoots. John

Boolit Buddy
    Give Bob Hayley in Texas a call. He makes 43 Spanish brass from 348 Win. His cases were priced at $1.80 ea which
    isn't bad for brass. He guaranties them to fit. He also has the lead bullets. Call him, I think he can help you out.
    Phone Number is 940-888-3352 evenings.
    webfoot10

Buffalo Arms will fill all your needs. unfortunately i dont believe there is a cheap way to proceed. only thing you can do if not satisfied with your experiments is to include all the accoutrements acquired for your experiments WITH the rifle when and if you get ready to pass it along for the next fella to play with.

if you are any where going to be involved with your 43 Spanish ... then i would venture a guess that you will really enjoy your rifle and if fed rite ... it will perform for you and to your expectations. these are really accurate if you go about it in the correct way and sometimes do the unusual things that the rifle will tell you it wants. just listen to her and learn.

$65 or so for 20 cases.
    $25 or so for boolits of each size the rifle says it wants.
    $30 or so for Lee loading dies.
    $30 or so for a can of Black Powder.

this is pretty cheap for a casual introduction to the 43 Spanish. enjoy your new relationship and have fun with her.

take 5 to start out and load em with 75 grains 2F BP and load .439 or so diameter greaser boolits ... just take the flair outta the case mouth and shoot em for a fire formed case. take these fireformed cases and after a cleanup ... measure the mouth to discover what your throat is going to want for diameter. {my rifle told me it wanted a .452 inch diameter boolit}. now order some of whatever size the throat wants in a boolit that tapers to the nose fairly fast from the crimp groove. try these and see if your rifle dosnt like this size.

keep playin with her in the length the boolit is seated and fouling control and grease cookies and on and on ... it will come together for you and it will be a mighty fine shootin rifle i am bettin.