Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ultra Quiet 30-30 Loads

Boolit Mold

Ultra Quiet 30-30 Loads

I was reading through some old reloading manuals and found some information on quiet loads for 44 mag in lever guns. I'm going to give it a try with my 30-30 using some fast powder and a 170 gr lead boolit with some dacron filler.

I have some 231, Super Target, as well as some Unique to start with. Has anyone tried this and if so what powders and how much powder did you try?
    Larry

"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty" Thomas Jefferson

California. Where absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good.
    Welcome aboard Old trucks.
    There is a good deal of inform at www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm
    He did a great study of the 30-30 using the 170 gr. plain base. IIRC he used W231 in his testing. These results may be a bit faster than you want but it gives you a starting place. There are a number of posts here at Cast Boolits of men getting down to 4oo-5oo f/s with Bullseye or Red Dot.
    Again, Welcome.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Try 5 grains of Unique. It is close to what you want. Standard large rifle primers. No filler is needed.

You could also try 4 grs. of WST or 3 grains of Bullseye.

Cast your boolits from pure lead or as soft as you can get your hands on, to help seal and avoid sticking one in the bore. Use the 231 or WST, and keep going lighter until they barely clear the muzzle. Then work up from there until it does what you want.

-Nobade

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Helice, that had some good information. It looks like they had good luck with the VVN350, I have some of that so I may add that into the trial and testing.

Outpost the information I've read recommends the dacron, said that it keeps the powder in contact with the primer and gave more consistent velocity. Seemed to make sense, especially with the longer 30-30 case and small charges. I'll try it both ways and see if it alters the velocity at all.

Nobade I'll give that a try. I have some of the Lymans Super Moly that I was going to add to a few boolits too. Once I get to the point where I think I'm close to sticking one the Moly may get me just a bit slower and quieter
    Larry

"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty" Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

I never use fillers for anything I and others do not believe in them. Others do that is their choice. Did not like the stories on the ringing of the barrels.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Grand Master

I do believe in fillers (Dacron anyway) but suggest you do not use a filler for your proposed loads. I also suggest the 231 and WST as the best powders. Cast the bullets soft, really soft like with COWWs + lead at 50/50 or 20-1, 30-1 or 40-1 lead tin. I prefer to use GCs but they are an option here depending on accuracy wanted. Start at 5.5 gr with either powder and work down until you get the desired noise level (never will be "silent") and velocity you want. That starting load will give you around 1000 - 1100 fps to begin with. If shooting beyond 15 - 20 yards sufficient sight adjustment can become an issue.

Always double check to make sure the bullet has left the barrel after each shot as you lower the powder charge. You can go low enough to leave a bullet stuck in the barrel.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    And for pete's sake don't substitute jacketed bullets for lead ones down in those low velocities! Bullets stuck in the bore aren't fun to get out after trying that trick. Ask me how I know...

Boolit Master
    And for pete's sake don't substitute jacketed bullets for lead ones down in those low velocities! Bullets stuck in the bore aren't fun to get out after trying that trick. Ask me how I know...

Boolit Master
    A load with a 170-180 over 8 grains of red dot has worked well for me in a 30/30. It's pretty quiet and will give you somewhere between 1100 and 1200 FPS. No filler required for this load. NRA 50/50 works fine for lube. I think of the ballistics of a heavy 357 shot from a 6" bbl.

As far as the use of fillers it depends on my desired results. So far I haven't rung a chamber yet. btw it's a bad idea walking around residential neighborhoods knocking on doors asking "so, do you believe in fillers ringing your chamber?". My survey found: 1. Nobody believed in fillers. 2. Wife has no sense of humor when called by you from the police station.

Ebner

Boolit Mold
    What is the thought on using Trail Boss?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jh45gun View Post
    I never use fillers for anything I and others do not believe in them. Others do that is their choice. Did not like the stories on the ringing of the barrels.
    I do not use fillers either...

.309 165gr boolit over 5 grains of Red Dot is quiet and accurate in my old Marlin 1893...

Boolit Master
    Oldtrucks....
    I've loaded 1.5 grs. Bullseye and a 0.315 Round Ball with polyfil between the two. Sounds like slamming the door on a Ford. Kills skunks in my front yard. Very dirty but very quiet. Velocity all over the place between 400 and 500 fps.

If you want real quiet, keep your powder charge light and fast enough that when the gas exits the barrel, the gas velocity is less than the speed of sound.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a 311-245 90 grain mold that works well over 3.0 grains of Bullseye up close--out beyond 15 yards, getting the sights and the point of impact to align become problematic. At 10 paces, though, it's a peach. I have also loaded some Single Ought Buckshot over the same charge, but had more fliers. These are great loads for letting the grand kids start shooting a "real" gun.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by spoon View Post
    What is the thought on using Trail Boss?
    Manufacturer says to start @ 60% of case capacity. That probably is not going to be where you want to have a quiet load.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    No description here of what we mean by 'quiet'. Are we talking the sound of a 22 rimfire? or of a gas powered pellet gun?

Boolit Mold
    I've loaded up some Super Target and 231, started at 6.0 and worked down from there in .3 increments. 6.0, 5.7, 5.4, and 5.1. I did 4 at each charge with each powder, with two boolits wax lube and two with Lyman Moly.

I was hoping to get out and chrono each and see how much noise there is with each load. Unfortunately, the weather has been so nice I spent my days off working on some other projects.
    Larry

California. Where absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good.
    That will be fun to read your findings. Should prove to be enlightening. Maybe I should pray for rain this week-end so you don't have to work around the house. We could use the rain too.

Larry - filler with 231 or WST?
    Whatever!

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Quote Originally Posted by shooting on a shoestring View Post
    If you want real quiet, keep your powder charge light and fast enough that when the gas exits the barrel, the gas velocity is less than the speed of sound.
    Absolutely correct! ... felix
    felix

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast