Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxReloading Everything
Wideners Load Data
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: BPCR rifles, so many choices.

Boolit Bub
    I shoot a couple of CPA rifles and the only thing you have to watch is the barrel retaining screw may get loose. When that happens you will know it, unless you forgot like I did :>( accuracy will go to pot. I think the new models have a socket head set screw which will allow more torque on it to keep it tight.

Keep on hav'n fun!
    MikeT

Boolit Master
    If someone did not offset the Big Timber fanboys all we would hear is Shiloh, Shiloh and even more Shiloh.

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    Chris you hit it straight on right there. I'm always amazed when these discussion get littlediddle syndrome folks coming in jumping on the " Sharps snobs" about calling Pedersoli's junk etc. I've yet to see that happen. Used to be you could get 2 new pedersoli's for one Shiloh, but that's been a long time ago, and if you follow the link Johnboy posted to Cherries, when you start to order Pedersoli's ( and read what they say there are a number of those rifles that are special order only) the supposed price difference disappears, and in some examples the Pedersoli is actually higher than a Big Timber built gun.
    Always and ever do some real price comparisons,, and think a little bit, if that used imported gun is bringing half or less than a USA built gun, ask yourself why is that happening. And then there's always that little voice that asks, why is the guy selling the gun?
    Buy what you can afford, but get a little serious about the actual cost and difference in overall quality.Plus unless you are in a hurry have to have it today, when you look at the process of buying a Shiloh it's actually easier, as you have sometime to save up the money before the rifle is completed .
    But this stuff has gotten way off the subject of the op's original question about a good set up for a left hander, and I'll still say one of the 85 highwalls would be my pick for ease of use from the offside, and either a CSA or Miroku built gun the best way to go as both use high quality barrels.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    Mike,

That has always kinda been one of my issues with the CPA, I know some folks that have had tons of problems with locks and actions too. And others have had some good gunsmiths go at them and make em hum. They do have their appeal though with the changing of barrels and blocks. And Gail & Paul great folks and very supportive of the Creedmoor Match at Raton VERY!

Kenny W
    The Lunger

I put negative SODS on Ignore.

I want to make another .44 and I been teetering between a CPA and a high wall. I think either way it would be fine but like said the barrel working loose on the CPA has been in the back of my mind.

Kurt

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    I keep thinking about Steve's CPA at Alliance and how well that thing shoots, but then I think if I wanted a leveraction single shot I'ld be more inclined to go with a Ballard.
    But dang its hard to turn a fella's back on the Hiwall.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    I have 38-50/45-90/22, and 45-70 being done now.

Accurate as the nut behind the trigger...

Jon
    Col 2:13-17

A CPA Jon?

Boolit Buddy
    Can you say "East Coast parlor gun"?

Quote Originally Posted by sharpsguy View Post
    Can you say "East Coast parlor gun"?
    Yeh I know. I prefer a sharps over any of the other actions, but if I can’t get Shiloh to give me the ROT I want for this 44 I have to go where I can get it.

Boolit Master
    Mike, my newer CPA has an Allen screw that retains the barrel. I haven't had issues with it coming loose, but it's a .38-55/.32-40 combo so probably sees a lot less vibration than it would with the bigger cartridges. I like the rifle, but there have been a few little issues.

Any idea what a 32" #5 barreled .45-90 would weigh on a CPA action?

Chris.

Vendor Sponsor

Mine weighed 14LBS and change with sights. .......Baldwin sights... that turn like Palma sights ... backward of MVA sights.

Michael Rix
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    A CPA Jon?
    Kurt,

Yuuuup...it fits me well.

Still have 2 Shilo's, but shoot the CPA most.

Jon
    Col 2:13-17

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345