RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45 Colt shot loads?

Boolit Master

45 Colt shot loads?

I was just reading through the 45 acp shotshell thread and thought I might ask if anyone has tried this with the 45 colt. I think it would be fun to do some early winter bunny hunting with this load.

I have a Single action army and I also have a Miroku made Winchester 92 in 45 colt.

any suggestions.

Boolit Grand Master

I suggest using a bullet for shooting the bunnies or using a real shotgun. I've tried shot loads (home made and commercial) on rabbits and birds. Unless the range is very short (many times 15 yards and less) or you have a choked handgun the results can be very disappointing. The rifling really spreads the pattern.

I routinely carry a 45 Colt shot load as the 1st round up in my own SAs for close encounters with old jake no shoulders.......one in photo was headshot with a 200 gr Lee RF which proved just as effective. You can see from the assortment of home made and commercial handgun shot loads (45 Colt shot loads not in photo though) that I do use them. I just don't use them for hunting small game in my revolvers. The Contender 45/410 is another story though as are shot loads for my 45-70 trapdoor carbine.

Larry Gibson

Attachment 90029
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 12-09-2013 at 09:45 AM.

In Remembrance
    If your dead-set on making shot loads go with the SPEER shot capsules and go from there, your only limited by your imagination when it comes to what to stuff in it.

Here's a couple of pictures of ones I've done in the past but they were made for making noise and that's it. I did make shot loads using the same techniques but the pay-load is real light and with brass getting seemingly harder to find I wouldn't recommend doing it this way since it pretty much ruins the case after the first firing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blank #1.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	90032

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blank #2.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	90033

The crimp you see requires a special tool, and I think you would be better off just getting those shot capsules for what you want.

http://www.speer-bullets.com/product..._capsules.aspx
    Last edited by GRUMPA; 12-09-2013 at 10:18 AM. Reason: added link
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Attachment 90041

Left to right: Speer .38/.357 shot; Speer .45 capsule in Schofield case; .44/.45 shot assembled in 5 in 1 Blank case; 5 in 1 case after firing in .45 ACP revolver.

Boolit Master
    I didnt even know Speer sold those capsules. I have seen them as assembled ammo, but never as a component. Thanks everyone.

Has anyone tried making a wad over the powder, shot and then a cap of some sort? I imagine pressures would be very large if set directly on the powder. Will a 4/10 wad fit into a colt case with a little buggering?

In Remembrance
    Read this: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hells-(My-Way)

The same techniques are somewhat the same and if you read from start to finish there's mention of the 410 wad. Just keep in mind if you want to make them the somewhat primitive way your going to start with the 45LC case. You would be much better off with the SPEER capsules to be honest seeing you can get more shot in the case that way.

If you find and get the shot capsules it has loading data right on the box, or they did anyway.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Buddy
    This is the way I learned, and they way I still make rat-shot shells for .357, and .44 Mag...

http://www.castbullet.com/reload/44shot.htm

Boolit Buddy
    I have had good luck with 460 S&W brass shortened yo about .01 shorter than cylinder length of the revolver. Then size them with a 45 Colt sizing die. After that run them through a 44-40 sizing die till they fit fully in the chamber. This step is the same as setting a sizer die for a bottle neck case in a bolt gun when you just want to bump the shoulder. Then I prime, dump powder charge, a couple felt wads, top with shot and set a 41 caliber gas check or cardboard wad over the end and crimp with the 44-40 seat and crimp die. I set the seat/crimp die to just touch the check or wad while it crimps. This helps to keep the check flat with the end.

I use the same process to make 45 ACP shot shells fot a revolver except I use shortend 308 brass and just size with the 44-40 sizer die. All other steps are the same.

Toby
    Life begins at 45 caliber!

Boolit Buddy
    I don't have a pic of the 45 Colts but here is a pic of the ACP's.

Toby
    Life begins at 45 caliber!

Plastic ages. Try to get some relatively fresh Speer capsules. A shop I know of has shot capsules that look like they came from the same batch I had them order 30 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by birch View Post
    I didnt even know Speer sold those capsules. I have seen them as assembled ammo, but never as a component. Thanks everyone.

I make 'em with gas checks, one over the powder, last one over the shot and then a crimp.

Look cleanest with the one over the shot facing cup forward.

Work great.
    1. Treat every firearm as if it were loaded.
    2. Never point a firearm at anything you do not intend to shoot.
    3. Keep the finger off the trigger and firearm on safe until ready to shoot.
    4. Know the target and what's beyond it.

Boolit Master
    The Speer shot capsules, loaded with the smallest shot you can find, work very well on snakes, etc. out to 10 or 15 feet. I've used them in .38 Special, .44 Special, and .45 Colt. Other shot cartridge assembly methods probably work fine, but I doubt they are as convenient as the Speer capsules.

Boolit Grand Master

I have experimented with making shot shells over the years in just about every way you can imagine. I settled on the Speer capsules as the most effective. They will shred a snakes head at fifteen feet or so but rapidly lose their effectiveness. I have done a LOT of back packing in snake country and often carried the first shell in a revolver a shot load. If the snake is farther away, he is little danger. I found that #12 shot is far more effective (due to pattern density) than anything larger. It can be purchased from Ballistic Products:
    http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Chi...uctinfo/02612/

It is a bit pricey, but, at the rate you'll use it in a handgun, one 10# bag will last a LONG-G-G time...

I have had occasion to kill a snake with a ball load, too. Since he has to be close to be a threat, it is comparatively easy to take his head off.

As has been mentioned, the T/C Contender in .45/.410 is an entirely different matter. My T/C patterns as well at 25 yards as most .410 shotguns.

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Master
    I have #4 Bird and #5 Bird, both copper Plated Lead.
    I tried Them in Speer .45 Shot cups and found:
    #4 Bird 'almost' lays in as a 7 piece per Layer and yields a 170 Grain Shot load.
    #5 Bird does lay in 7 piece per layer and yields about a 160 grain Shot load.
    This is With the Shot cup fully assembled and no rattle.

I wonder what Shot size would lay in three piece per Layer in the Speer .45 Shot cups?

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    I ended up cutting some 410 hulls down. I used two over powder cardboard wads and one over top. A little bit of Elmers glue around the edge to hold the top wad.
    I used #8 and #9 shot as that is what I had.
    Jeff

Boolit Master
    I use about 4 grs of Bullseye, then seat a card wad cut out of an empty primer box using a sharpened 45 ACP case. Then as much #12 shot as it takes to almost fill the case, can't remember the exact amount but I've got it written down. Then I cut a wad out of a plastic coffee lid using the same 45 ACP case & seat it over the shot & give it a light crimp. Don't over due the amount of powder or your pattern will spin out of control, especially from a longer barrel. It will take cottontails because they are pretty close, snakes are easy! The 45 Colt holds a fair amount of #12 shot.

Dick

Moderator Emeritus

Cutting the extra long brass down to just short of full cylinder length makes brass that'll carry significantly heavier payloads of shot than any other type of setup with shot loads in the LC. I had one once, and 5 or 6 9.3x72mm brass that had been trimmed to length, and IIRC, the rims thinned a bit so they'd fit the LC cylinders. Used various stuff for wads, and they held a pretty healthy payload of shot, and yes, you really COULD see a material difference on a target, particularly as range increased. IIRC, I tried GC's and cork and cardboard and milk cartons and who knows what all else as wads. The type of wad used dictated what kind of charge I used (can't remember that info) since some sealed off the gasses better than some of the others. It was a lot of fun to play with, and if you get some new "meat" out to the range, get some breakable targets (clays will do) and have someone throw them up and let you shoot them in the air. This will get you a reputation, though, so don't do it very often! I always let them in on what kind of loads I was shooting at the time, and had a good laugh over it. Later on, I started trying with solid bullets, and ya' know what? One CAN hit flying targets with regulation loads too, IF one practices a good bit! Yeah, it takes a lot of practice, but you never know what you can do until you try, and if you try long enough and hard enough, you may very well surprise yourself. It's not nearly as hard as most think, really. Mostly, it takes a practiced hand, good reflexes, steady nerves, and coordination. Lots of folks have those traits, and I've never seen anyone try this that couldn't come to hit relatively often on reasonably sized targets thrown by a capable and consistent friend to throw them. Most folks just assume they can't do such things, and thus, never really try. Most folks are surprised at how well they CAN shoot if they just get the right instruction, practice and attitude about it all. The men of yesteryear that earned the country the name "a nation of marksmen" were NOT steel plated or 10' tall. They just gave everything they did a really good try, and figured anything another man could do, they could most likely do if they applied themselves to it. That attitude is missing from many today, but it'd sure be great to see more of it these days. We're just as good as our parents were, physically. The rest is all mental and attitudinal.

Boolit Bub

I use .45 Speer capsules and #8 shot. they weigh out around 172 grain. The powder I use is 8 grains of AA#5. Eliminates opossums at 6 to 10 yards.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    Since this thread has been resurrected from the almost dead I have a question. Using Speer 45 shot capsules.......has anyone loaded them in 45 Auto for use in a 45 Auto revolver???? Or maybe in 45 Auto Rim for use in the same 45 Auto revolver? Interesting, I think.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Guesser View Post
    Since this thread has been resurrected from the almost dead I have a question. Using Speer 45 shot capsules.......has anyone loaded them in 45 Auto for use in a 45 Auto revolver???? Or maybe in 45 Auto Rim for use in the same 45 Auto revolver? Interesting, I think.
    The Speer .45 shot capsules work fine in either the .45 Auto Rim or .455 Webley with 4 grains of Bullseye.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast