MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersGraf & SonsRepackbox
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingStainLess Steel Media
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dispelling Some Myths-SAAMI Video

Boolit Master

I store my ammo in 50 cal ammo boxes(metal)and wonder if there is a fire would there be be a pressure build up in these cans.They are water proof and I presume vapor proof.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

There would probably be some pressure buildup, but not to the extent of a tremendous explosion. More of a pressure relief/release, since the metal of the can is a fraction the thickness of a chamber.

After all, the military stores their ammunition in those cans, and they have more exposure to fire than the average homeowner.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master

Yes, there would be a pressure buildup dependent as to how hot the ammo box would get. If it gets hot enough to "COOK OFF" then it would be a good idea not to be close as you will have a nice bomb. Probably the best place to keep ammo stored like this would be in a fireproof safe, as they will keep even documents save with no damage for up to 120min without the fear of them being damaged because they keep the temperature under anything combustionable. All of the safes I've looked at also have warranties for repair/replacement if they are exposed to a "SEVERE" fire. I've seen safes opened after a fire and even the finish on gun stocks were not harmed.
    Just my thoughts.
    Last edited by 1_Ogre; 05-24-2015 at 07:05 AM. Reason: spelling
    Gun Control means hitting what you aim at!

Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    Life Member of the NRA
    Life Member of the Disabled American Veterans Association

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by w5pv View Post
    I store my ammo in 50 cal ammo boxes(metal)and wonder if there is a fire would there be be a pressure build up in these cans. They are water proof and I presume vapor proof.
    I know, this is an old thread.... I don't believe a metal ammo can would present any danger due to a cook off of contents as no significant pressure could build up. The gasket between lid and can would melt or burn away before the ammo in the can could cook off. Even if some pressure did build, that thin wall of mild steel would bow out easily and allow an ever bigger vent. Or the thin steel bales used to hold down the lid might overload and fail, releasing the lid altogether....

Boolit Bub
    Nice video.
    Thx

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by w5pv View Post
    I store my ammo in 50 cal ammo boxes(metal)and wonder if there is a fire would there be be a pressure build up in these cans.They are water proof and I presume vapor proof.
    They are purpose built to store ammunition and have been virtually unchanged in 100 years.

That tells me they do their job without much risk.

Boolit Buddy
    The most dangerous potential explosive you will commonly see is the small oxygen and acetylene cylinders that many tradesman carry in vehicles.Demolished houses and decapitated bodies are not uncommon.Yet when have you ever heard any one express concern about them.Never,unless it comes from a fireman or cop.The explosions are caused by laziness or carelessness.Cant be bothered turning "the gas "of.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12