Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Wideners Load Data
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Why some new members will do better than others here.

Wish I had a Rossi or sumpin to donate fer yer test. My only stipulation would be the gun must explode before testing could be considered complete.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by freebullet View Post
    Wish I had a Rossi or sumpin to donate fer yer test. My only stipulation would be the gun must explode before testing could be considered complete.
    Will be a very long test if using Varget.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Love Life
    It should be interesting I have been perusing Gunbroker for a beater GP100 or Ruger Blackhawk to start with. I have a leftover Kevlar flak jacket to wrap over the gun. I can remove the stocks and clamp the frame directly with something. I do need to send my chronograph off to get fixed.

Seriously, nobody has ever thought "I wonder if a rifle powder will get a bullet out the bore, will it do it safely, and at what speed?" Unburned powder is not a concern because...well...whaddya do?

Hopefully this will open up some avenues for those great TSHTF threads or allow people to keep plinking. I just wish I had pressure testing equipment.

Please don't blow up a good usable ruger. A Rossi or Taurus wouldn't be a loss to America's usable guns.

I'm not sure a small pistol primer would touch off a full case of varget, it'd be fun to observe from distance though. Maybe use a small rifle primer for good measure. We could call it love life's 38 super duper or lls38sd for short.

If all else fails by the end of the test a case full of red dot, black, or h110 may finish the job, I'm certain with your experience you wouldn't have any trouble exploding it.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Boolit Grand Master

KIDS!!!! DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!!!!LL IS A PROFESSIONAL AND KNOWS HOW TO BLOW STUFF UP SAFELY!!!
    I think to blow up a modern revolver using Varget powder we'd probably need a bore obstruction.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Even with a bore obstruction, I think the cyl gap leak would keep most guns
    intact with Varget.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    This is advice we are giving noobs? They may think we have some crazy old farts on this site. I plead guilty.
    Closest recorded range Chrony kill (3 feet with witnesses)

Boolit Grand Master

I am a professional using the latest in advanced safety techniques, dont try this at home!

The barrel obstruction test was done with a hi point not long ago and the video is on youtube. It is quite astounding what that "cheap and ugly" gun could withstand like having a bolt pounded into the barrel
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Love Life
    The purpose is not to intentionally blow the gun up. The purpose is to see what powders will do what in the gun. I'll start on the slow end of the burn chart and move down as long as I can get powders. I just want to see what will get the bullet down the barrel and to the target. If it blows up, then it blows up. However; what if something is learned. What if new avenues are opened up?

We shall see.

To all the new reloaders: For the love of all that is holy DO NOT LOAD YOUR PISTOL RDS WITH SLOW RIFLE POWDERS. I AM EXPERIMENTING AND USING THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD. I WILL HAVE A BULLET PROOF VEST WRAPPED OVER THE GUN AND PULLING THE TRIGGER WITH A LONG STRING!!

IF YOU REFUSED TO BUY A MANUAL, CAME ACROSS THIS PORTION OF THE THREAD, WERE TOO LAZY TO READ THE WHOLE THREAD, AND BLOW UP YOUR GUN THEN THAT IS ON YOU.

Boolit Grand Master
    LL

One thing to bear in mind is that you will be working with erratic loads. One load could fire and the next blow up the gun.

I certainly would never post any data as some idiot will try it without the controls you will have in place to do it safely.

Frankly, for SHTF, someone can buy two jugs of Promo for less than $200 and have a pretty useable powder for pistol loads, shotgun loads and light rifle loads that has been proven to be safe in those applications for decades. You can bet I will not be wasting Varget or any rifle powder to load pistol rounds.

Blowing up even a beater Ruger seems like such a waste. LOL

Don Verna

Love Life
    You bring up good points, Don. If I can get a gun for the right price then I'll begin the experiment. However; I'll keep all the data and results under lock and key. I am always hesitant to post ANY load data or development, even manual approved data, because there is always somebody who will screw it up and then blame everything but themselves.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I am pretty sure what you will find trying slow rifle powders in handguns, as I also had to try that out some years ago. Keep everyone informed of your tests. You will probably laugh a little, cuss a little, but not damage any of your guns.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Rifle powders in handguns, I used 4198 in the 454 and 1680 in the 357 revolvers. Worked rather well and I didn't blow anything up, in fact the FA 454 was quite accurate at 200 meters at heavy 44 mag velocity with 240 gr bullets. The 357 worked well but came up about 70 fps slower than I was looking for.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Can anyone tell me what the current discussion has to do with the OP???
    R.D.M.

Love Life
    Absolutely nothing. The OP was succinct and to the point. It required no further deep thinking or add ons. It is a stand alone thought. The rest of the thread is just thread drift and shenanigans. If shenanigans are not wanted then the thread should be locked or all non-pertinent posts (every post except for the OP) should be deleted.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, epic thread drift but when the original topic has run it's course things happen. And no, we're not going to tell someone how to blow up a gun on a public forum.

LL,
    Did Btroj ever give you the load you were looking for your 38 special, or is he still being stingy with the info?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pb2au View Post
    LL,
    Did Btroj ever give you the load you were looking for your 38 special, or is he still being stingy with the info?
    What load? I would share data with LL, he is a stand up guy.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Love Life
    I'm looking for a load using retumbo in the 38 special while shooting a gas check designed bullet without a gas check. I can do that, right?

Boolit Grand Master
    It might shorten the life of your gun.......
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast