Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Why some new members will do better than others here.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by nodda duma View Post
    So I don't think I learned to cast the right way..

A few years ago, a coworker gave me his uncle's old 30mm ammo can full of casting gear..a can which hadn't been opened since the 50s.

So I pretty much learned to cast on my own using that gear and the instructions and a few hand written notes that came with the equipment. Looking back at my first post here I guess I had come across the site and asked a question, but never came back lol. So after a few false starts I got to where I could make quarter-sized groups at 100 yds with my Krag and the 311299s that I learned to cast.

I didn't really visit this site much since I was doing well enough on my own.

I did buy a Lee melting pot, though I didn't like the temperature controller on the pot. So having an engineering background I knew about PID controllers and bought a kit off eBay. I set it up and was happy with the better bullet consistency (less toss-backs)

And *then* I came back across this site and found the PID Controller thread, with a better location for the thermocouple. Now I've started reading more and more, finding good info explaining the "why it works" of the practices I've figured out. Also picked up a method to measure lead hardness..one aspect I hadn't figured out but had bugged me.

So I kind of gained the experience and now I'm coming up to speed on the education. It's funny because that's how my optical engineering and optical design career worked out. I learned optics on the job and eventually went back to school for the education.

I figure that's the wrong way to go about learning something...well according to what all the "experts" say. I hear all the time get the education and then get experience. But I guess I ignored that advice in life lol. Works for me tho.

Oh and I taught myself reloading too. Having an engineering brain helps a person to figure things out I guess.
    One needs a foundation, or at least a frame of reference, before any significant understanding of minutia can occur. A person really starts understanding how to make, load, and shoot cast boolits well after they have begun diagnosing problems with their initial attempts.

Gear

Love Life
    Best load for 38 special please?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Best load for 38 special please?
    Like I'm telling you
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Love Life
    Sheesh. It took like 7 hours for somebody to not answer my question.

Boolit Grand Master
    Sheesh. It took like 7 hours for somebody to not answer my question.
    I had to research the data I wasn't giving you. Nothing worse than having someone not give you poetically harmful data.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

[QUOTE=Love Life;2681292]Best load for 38 special please?[/QUO

42 grains of varget.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Love Life
    [QUOTE=freebullet;2682691]
    Best load for 38 special please?[/QUO

42 grains of varget.
    Funny that you say that. I am currently on the prowl for a cheapish large frame 357 revolver. I want to stuff cases full of slow rifle powders, tie a long string to the trigger, pull the string, and see what happens.

Boolit Grand Master

[QUOTE=Love Life;2682805]
    Quote Originally Posted by freebullet View Post

Funny that you say that. I am currently on the prowl for a cheapish large frame 357 revolver. I want to stuff cases full of slow rifle powders, tie a long string to the trigger, pull the string, and see what happens.
    PM me. I have some extra 50BMG that will work for your experiment
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Love Life
    I have always wondered what would happen. Not having pressure testing equipment or anything like that, my only choice is to load them and shoot them. I will lay an old kevlar Flak Jacket over the gun when it is fired. Who know's? Maybe the gun will go nuclear. Maybe the rd will fire with little issue. Maybe I'll get squibs, but really. Who knows?

I used to know a "reloader" whose sole purpose was to find that perfect powder. A powder where all he had to do was dip a .223 case in a bowl without measuring, press in a bullet and shoot it of his AR for accuracy. I never went to the range with him to see if he was successful or not.

Love Life
    Sometimes you just have to willing to blow something up in order to get the answers to your questions.

Please post video. I wanna c.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Boolit Master
    I have a friend who loads .223 He has been reloading since around 9/2013. So he knows everthing. He fills a .223 case full with varget and drops in a bullet. No lie. He thinks he is doing a stroke of business. I mean it there is no weight or scoop or anything just a funnel.
    One other thing he does is load two to three different cals and powders then wipe the table clean and load the last shell with the powder from the table. Needless to say I will not shoot anything of his.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    Needless to say I will not shoot anything of his.
    Shoot any of his indeed! I wouldn't even want to be at the same range with someone like that.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    You are not kidding Rick. All he cares about is faster faster. Cant hit the same hole twice but its screaming. He could not understand why his 357 cases kept getting stuck in his gun after he shoots them. LOL
    I do have to say that is one of the most perfect bullets I have ever set my eyes on in your profile pic.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Um actually these numbers are all from memory but I load varget for .223. I think I shoot 27 grains under 55g barnes or sierra jacketed bullets. I worked up to that in my rock river bull barrel AR. I often get 1.5" groups of 10 or 20 rounds at 200 yards, so my rifle likes the load.

I originally worked up the load using only RP cases. The weighed powder came up to the bottom of the neck. After I was comfortable with the load I started experimenting with more bulk loading on a progressive press. Everything went great. Then I branched out into using Lake City, which has less case capacity. The identical load in a LC case is full to the brim so I worked it back up from minus 10%.

Guess which load kicks butt in the LC cases? The same 27 grains. It gets slightly compressed but the cartridges don't grow in storage and show no pressure signs.

So at least in my rifle using the case for a dipper in varget is not too far off, depending on the headstamp. Of course I arrived at that conclusion carefully and with cross referenced manuals.

BTW I'm not in a hurry to load varget in any of my magnum handguns but I'd imagine it'd be dirty and spray a handful of smoking jimmies out of the muzzle before anything blew up. I don't imagine there'd be enough time to burn it all up or accelerate the bullet well. Have fun trying it with YOUR gun haha!!

I have read your article and found it very interesting and true for me I learn more and keep in my head longer by doing it maybe slow at first but it'd be safe.
    I'm 69 and I 'm still learning things in life if a person can't learn one different in a day somethings wrong.
    I'm new to this site "forum" and found many very nice people here ready to help me out by sending me brass or bullets and I appreciate that I in turn will do the same when I am able. Please keep up the good work and there are nice people left in this world.

Great post. This is exactly why i started loading. First I watched my dad doing it not touching anything just watching. Then started prepping/cleaning. Then setting up a single stage press. Then completing a round. This was all from factory made components. Which was when i was a teen. It taught me to learn what i was doing and looking at before running in half witted and *** backwards. I see alotta guys going to youtube and copyin what they see. Not learning snd understanding what they are looking at. Im new to the site and new to casting and am impressed by the wealth of info compiled here. I catch myself jus aimlessly poking around the site everyday searching. Just want to say thanks to the more experienced guys who are willing to share a bit of their experience

Boolit Mold
    I am new to the Castboolits family. However, I have been melting lead for fishing gear since I was 15 years old and re-loading for about 50 years or so. I have been involved with casting boolits for about 2 years, now. I started with 12 ga. slugs, went to 0.69 round ball for the 12 ga. and now am working with casting for my 30/30. I have spent many hours reading your posts and am delighted when they wake up this old grey matter between my ears and cause me to learn something. I have found that a post may simply go away if not replied to over a certain amount of time. I would like to say that it would be a shame if this one did so. Thanks for the post..... helps me to know that I am dealing with a good group of fellas.

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Radarsonwheels View Post
    Have fun trying it with YOUR gun haha!!
    That was the plan...

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast