RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Why some new members will do better than others here.

Banned

Who lives in Nevada?

Love Life
    I live in Nevada. Why?

Boolit Master
    Great post, Recluse!!!

I have been reloading for 20 years and seriously casting for the last year or two, but I still have to remind myself to go search for the info I need and to check out the stickies. Yep, I missed the sticky on shooting GC boolits without the GC. I had done it in a revolver, but wanted to do it with a rifle. I was used to zooming down the page and skipping over some of the stickies.

I am pretty good at researching. Sometimes I find the answer right away, and other times it may take a while to stumble across what I need (like cleaning lead or oxide build up from mold cavities). If you know how to find it, and it is listed properly, all your answers are probably out there.

The description of shooters is great. I started out shooting and loading at the same time so I could shoot a few times per year. I got into action pistol competitions around 4 years ago and fell into making bulk quantities of one load. My Smith 460 revolver got me back into casting and making up more tailored loads. That led to casting and loading for my rifles which led to a lever action match two weeks ago. Now I am looking for a tailored load that is easy on the shooter and economical, so I can save money..........errrrrr.........I mean shoot more.

I have offered to take many people to the range with my equipment, or theirs, so they can get a feel for the shooting sports or even just get familiar with a pistol for self defense purposes. None of them have taken me up on the offer. I am teaching a range buddy to reload, but he was already a member of the private club I go to, and he likes the idea of actually learning to craft his own economical ammo. He will probably be the type to run one good load all the time. I have also taught my roommate to shoot and reload (she went target shooting as a kid) but I lead the way and she helps when we load ammo. She would probably try handloading on her own, if she had her own place and equipment, but for now I make the critical decisions as I am paying for the supplies and the ammo is used in my firearms.

I hang out at Calguns forum, but I really like this forum because people are serious about the craft. There is less BS here, and more learning/teaching.

Thank you, long time shooters, for passing on the info.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    Generally, as newer members learn and master the basics, they are eager to share with others just joining, or just making a foray into a new part of the hobby. This un-burdens the more advanced casters so they can discuss more advanced challenges. Sometimes things get out of balance and there is a gap, which I'm seeing now. Lots of new people with little knowledge and a lot of questions, but for the most part only older, more experienced members are participating in answering them. To the inexperienced members, all I can say is be a good student, hone your research skills, take an active interest and responsibility in your own learning, and the teachers will come along when you're ready.

Gear
    I think this paragraph is as timely and accurate as the original post. The balance here is out of whack with so many new casters. I am one of them having just gotten interested in the end of 2011 beginning 2012. I read here for months before even joining. Gear is correct in that it is somewhat exciting to me to be able to help someone with a basic question that I have learned over the last year or so. It has also gotten so bad lately that even I can't believe some of the things people ask even once, let alone again and again and sometimes only days apart. Things are asked and/or reposted before they even get off the first page of posts, let alone the fact there's already a sticky on it!

This site is quite intimidating at first I believe, even to long time handloaders. The vast amount of knowledge contained is staggering, the way some things are grouped doesn't make sense at first, and their's a whole different language and different methodology to doing things with cast vs. how I used to do things. Most of what you've ever heard about casting before you came here is wrong so you have to dump that "knowledge" at the door. It is worth every bit of time and effort it takes to digest what is presented here though. R5R progressed my casting by years on another site before I ever melted lead. He may not know it because I was mainly just reading his answers to other peoples questions over for the most part, but he did. I've found the things I picked up from reading his posts priceless and accurate.

For all you old cantankerous hands, thank you! Please don't give up and keep on keeping on. I still desperately need your help.

Very nicely put, and the hierarchical listing is probably pretty close to reality. One of the problems these days, however, is that the current generations are used to instant answers. You can see it everywhere - someone says something, or asks a question, and someone will whip out their mobile phone/ipad, bring up google, type in a question and there it is, instant answer. No need to read manuals, and all the other "irrelevant" stuff in there when all you want is an answer to a specific question.

Me (being an oldie), when I get interested in something I spend untold hours scouring the internet and associated forums, reading books etc. trying to learn as much as I can (someone once said that knowledge is power). That is part of the enjoyment, for me, reading and learning. I have a need to understand my new-found interest.

But you left out Black Powder shooting in the hierachy .

Boolit Master

One word answer about your post JD
    EXCELLENT
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Master
    A big THANK YOU to Recluse! Some of us with grey beards have an intense understanding of a narrow niche of the total scope of this forum. True Masters of our little corners of the great quilt. Even Chuck Yeager probably had a few dumb questions he asked without extensive self research before he found himself seated in an X plane. So when new bee asks how many ounces of tin to add to a bucket of wheel weighs to make hard casting lead; well, have patience with the poor devil.

A few of those Tenderfoots may make Eagle Scout.

prs

Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    Right thread at the right time. I just got blowing off some steam at member asking for "Ruger Only Data." Said he could not find data. I should have just ignored O/P, but just for kicks I did a google search for "Ruger only data" and on the first page there was a boat load of excellent data. Took 10 seconds. O/P indicated no bullet weight and no powder, just a blanket question. Blanket questions are wet blankets. I hope he owns a Ruger. If you care about being here, act like you care.
    I'm on a couple reloading groups on FB and that kind of stuff goes on all the time. I dodge those and let the other guys chime in. I'm just on there to spread the gospel of the cast bullet lifestyle.
    "A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.

Banned

"I'm just on there to spread the gospel of the cast bullet lifestyle."

Amen

Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    "I'm just on there to spread the gospel of the cast bullet lifestyle."

Amen
    Battling it out with one guy that believes in the jacketed hype real bad. Posted a pic of his cape buffalo. Big deal. Cast bullets can kill them too. Clinging to the late 19th century nonsense really.

There are more with me than against me though. Maybe we all hang around together on FB and not know each other's names from our screen names here on the forum?
    "A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.

Boolit Bub
    Sounds like the same one I'm on there too Adam, they all seem too go like "I've never reloaded before, what do I need?" Three out of five replies are, a Dillon 650. Have yet too see a suggestion for a book.
    Casting, more than just a fishing technique.

Quote Originally Posted by DrtRacr09 View Post
    Sounds like the same one I'm on there too Adam, they all seem too go like "I've never reloaded before, what do I need?" Three out of five replies are, a Dillon 650. Have yet too see a suggestion for a book.
    Actually one of the ones I'm in when that question is asked, the first 5 responses are usually having to do with buying and reading The ABC's of Reloading before buying anything. It's quite refreshing.

Live generously.

Boolit Buddy
    My, oh my.

Boolit Mold
    Recluse I have to say after reading your post and the responses to it I am printing your post off and framing it to go next to my computer. I will admit I am more of a lurker and normaly dont post on sites but have in the past tried to search for information and after not seeing what I was looking for after a few quick searchs pulled the old look for the librarian routine. "Excuse me I know its here somewere could you point me to .............." but I think I am going to go back and read every stickie to see just what I might have missed.

To the forum as a whole I have learn alot of things over the last couple of years from the members here by just lurking and reading and would like to say Thank You.

Moderator Emeritus

Great thoughts JD. I have occasionally wished I could go back to being happy with one load that shoots well from each of my guns but still have that burning desire to improve each one.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Very good post, your thoughts concerning todays instant gradification society mimic conversations that my wife and I have had for a variety of topics where this personality trait is a liability( she is a teacher in public school). My cudos to you for being able to type fast enough to put that much print on "paper" in one day.

Boolit Master
    Perhaps a test/quiz should be made up by our resident psychologists to be giving to new members to allow them to see the type of mentality (personality?) that is required to become a boolit caster?

Banned

only one or two questions would cover the test.
    something like do you fix stuff around the house or work on your own vehicles?, would pretty much cover it.

back to the O.P.
    J.D. you missed a section in the hierarchy.
    the guy's that go beyond the gun part to delve into the what's and how's of internal/external ballistics, or into the depths of why things like lube affect the first shot or a long string of shots.
    or even the next step of reloading beyond wild catting where they figure out how to actually fit a case to an off the shelf rifle and hold a boolit/bullet in the centerline of a barrel.
    or how to actually measure a guns throat and see what a boolit should be shaped like to actually fit beyond just making the thing larger in diameter.
    those types of things are what make this sight great, many here know and understand those [and more] and will share if approached with an open mind and a sincere attitude.

Boolit Grand Master
    House yes, vehicles no.

As a new caster, this site has saved me tons of money and time. Thanks to all the folks who have been patient with me! I hope to add to the science.

PS, House work, YES, Vehicle, minimal.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast