MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Why some new members will do better than others here.

Boolit Buddy
    What's wrong with you guys? Get with the program! If you can't get the answer with a few quick swipes of your thumb on your magical touch device, it's not an answer worth having.

I have to admit to having become very annoyed at what I have perceived as a "set" which seems to have come along and discovered bullet casting right about the time it started getting very difficult to buy cheap blasting ammo. There has been a bit of a surge since last December and I hope it begins to subside and that those who are interested in learning from themselves and others stick with it. I also hope that those who just seek to ferret out another cheap way to use up a lot of ammo quickly and loudly don't.

I have been granted the opportunity to teach about one percent of those to whom I have extended the offer to handload. The other 99 percent of the time, the inquiry was more about shooting for free, or at least cheaper and they declined the offer.

I have been granted the opportunity to teach ONE of the very few I have ever offered to help get involved in casting and that ONE became a small, local commercial caster for many years until he remembered how fun casting USED to be. All other inquiries were thinly veiled sniffing for "free bullets." That ONE caster, my Dad and my gunsmith are about the only people I talk to face to face about casting. Everyone else is either not interested in investing the time and work to learn or they are already dead. I do miss the dead guys.

One of the greatest things about casting and handloading is that no matter how long you have done it, or how much of it you have done, there is always something more to learn. I have been at it for over forty years but worked within a narrow band of "what worked" (which was NOT what I found in published sources) until I started seeing what others had ventured into here. It's been interesting and the effort involved in learning has occupied a lot of my time, which might have otherwise been spent on much less productive activity - or as my Wife sees it - it keeps me out of trouble.

I teach, so I see this a lot. The first thing I tell my new students is that learning is WORK and that some of us will just have to work harder than others.

Good thread and a marvelous use of this wonderful thing we call the Internet.

Boolit Buddy

For what its worth my wife yells at me because i'm on here reading so much,i am new to casting but not to reloading which I had to teach myself(no mentor)so I fully understand the frustration some people can cause(hopefully hasn't been me)when they don't put forth any effort of their own.

Boolit Grand Master
    For a useless nit of paper my first Lyman manual sure shows some wear. I still use it even though it is put of date, it has data the newer ones don't have.

People also need to realize that none of us gained 30 years of knowledge in a week, we did it over 30 years! Be patient, learn what you can, when you can.

You learn more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you do at the computer desk! Go shoot. Pay attention to what works and what doesn't. Learn to make observations and how to see what is really happening. Natural curiosity sure helps but this can be learned.

Bullet casting is best left to people with a natural need to tinker. It is about making things work, seeing what happens "if", and finding a way to make things work YOUR way.

Boolit Master
    Thread/Post of the YEAR!
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Master

The OP should be required reading for joining the CB family...

Brandon
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    I enjoy, for the most part, the "Sticky's" here. Before finding this place, I had read three or four books on casting. Still don't understand everything talked about. LBT's book took forever. Started casting because of one firearm purchase, .500 S&W.
    Before I retired, I didn't have the time for any of this casting. My reloading was by the book since the age of 12. I would find a load that was listed an play with it until it worked for that firearm. I must admit that I am a slow learner an need to be shown why an how.
    Born in MO, just goes to show you.
    I think - frustration - is why so many new casters ask the questions. I know for myself, I'll look around until I ask, it may very well be here but I as of yet have not found it. So I will ask that stupid question that more then likely has been run a round many times before.
    Although I have found the answers in threads that didn't look like it would be there. If that makes any sense.
    Wish I could remember how I found this place. May very well have been in "Handloaders" mag. Mike Venturo maybe, don't remember.
    Great place an thank you for letting me be here.

Ghost101

Boolit Master

You folks are GREAT! I had to copy the OP for my kids. The oldest, at 19, is finally getting it as demonstrated by his improved work ethic. The middle guy, not so much, but a work in progress.

I have been a reloader for MANY years. I saw the armorers in the USN having fits over rifle loads and have restricted myself to loads I use commonly, that is my competition pistol loads. Still learning about them, but have had no major malfunctions since a squib round that bulged a pistol barrel 20+years ago. SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY (to steal from the realtor location, location, location thing) are the three most important things I have learned.

The same levels described for members here by Recluse can be extrapolated into nearly every occupation/ hobby/ profession. The AACN, my professional organization, has described the novice-to-expert model for years, and it basically follows Recluse's description. One point I am trying to stress for my kids is that mentorship is freely given (opportunities come to those who are prepared) and can easily pass you by should you treat them as anything less than a treasuered gift of your mentor's time. Recluse provided a concrete example of this, and I wish folks (my kids) could reflect on opportunities freely offered which have not gone well in their past.

Thanks again for all you have done to help my progress in my search for that magic boolit.
    Last edited by DRNurse1; 12-08-2013 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Spelling, well fat-fingered typing

DRNurse1

Education is one thing you can give away freely while suffering no personal loss and likely increasing one's own knowledge.

Properly vetted source information prevents GIGO, the scourge of the internet.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff H View Post
    There has been a bit of a surge since last December and I hope it begins to subside and that those who are interested in learning from themselves and others stick with it. I also hope that those who just seek to ferret out another cheap way to use up a lot of ammo quickly and loudly don't.
    I see it another way,
    We now have an opportunity created for us by the influx of shooters into reloading and casting using the relatively new communication tool we have.
    We can take the time to help "those who just seek to ferret out another cheap way to use up a lot of ammo quickly" into finding reloading and casting to be an interesting new addition to their shooting hobby.
    If we show they how to do this successfully maybe they will stick around learn and grow the hobby and carry it forward into the next generations.

Boolit Master
    Recluse, you outdid yourself! An excellent post that is well thought out, accurate and so true.
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Boolit Mold

Why some new members will do better than others here.

Well said Recluse! There is a ton of great information here for the beginner. I've been using this site for well over a year and I have found answers, or at least opinions, to every single question I have had thus far... and there have been many! My goal is to get to a point where I can help to grow this body of knowledge. Until that time, I will continue to troll the threads.

This is my first post to the forum. I wonder how many other lurkers there are out there?

Boolit Bub
    Recluse, very well put and thank you! Most folks these days want things their way and right now. When you meet someone with integrity, manners and a good work ethic it suprises you. Thanks again, John.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
    The OP should be required reading for joining the CB family...

Brandon
    This is exactly what I was thinking! J.D.'s post is spot on but sadly the ones who should be reading it won't because it is their MO to just 'ask' instead of 'read.' If there was a way to enforce reading the stickies as a prerequisite to full privilege on the site I'd vote 'yes.'
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    Recluse, very excellent post sir, and the philosophy behind it applies to virtually all endeavors. My history includes helicopter and fixed wing, instructor to ATP. Was also an accident investigator for the Army and got to figure out where pilots went astray. One of the all time classic pilot interviews ended with the pilot stating "The primary cause of this accident is administrative error. I never should have graduated from flight school." Then there is the near 25 years as an enroute ATC puke/instructor.

I would offer one slight critique however, that being the missing category of "shooting looney". I have spent too many hours reading McCoy, Litz, Mann and Roberts, thus I know my guilt. Much of what I read on forums makes me flinch, but I recall days when I was was more energetic if less thoughtful.

Carry on,

Dan
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Love Life
    Great post!! Now....if ya'll don't mind me asking, what is a good load for a 148 gr WC in the 38 special?

Boolit Master

You gonna shoot that with or without a gas check?

Good post Recluse.

Boolit Master

I just got through reading this thread from top to bottom great job guys!!! Thanks to all of you for the great thoughts.I rightly don't know how long I have been casting and if twisting a piece of paper into a funnel making trot line sinkers will count on the time frame or not.My thing is safety above all.Whatever you do practice safety.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master
    3gr bullseye

Boolit Bub
    My suggestion for the excellent post penned by Recluse would be to make this into some sort of "Terms of Use" (required reading) when making a new account. Another would be too make it a flashing banner instead of a sticky, because, as most now, stickies just make ya scroll down farther for the good stuff. Love Life, can't help on the load because you didn't say if your brass has a cannelure in it. But I would like to ask, would it be OK to use PVC pipe for annealing gas checks?

bhn22
    Well, we're certainly not doing anybody any real "favors" by typing a few lines to quiet them down. I've always felt that you're not helping people unless I tell them "why", and "how", in addition to "what". We're not passing any real knowledge along by giving away the short answers. Come to think of it, the whole damn countrys a lot like that anymore.

Banned

Right thread at the right time. I just got blowing off some steam at member asking for "Ruger Only Data." Said he could not find data. I should have just ignored O/P, but just for kicks I did a google search for "Ruger only data" and on the first page there was a boat load of excellent data. Took 10 seconds. O/P indicated no bullet weight and no powder, just a blanket question. Blanket questions are wet blankets. I hope he owns a Ruger. If you care about being here, act like you care.
    Last edited by jmort; 12-08-2013 at 06:28 PM.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast