Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Why some new members will do better than others here.

Boolit Mold
    Very nice, glad to be here!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Well, I'm up to 550 posts since I joined in June. I have made fishing lures since the age of 12 and now at 47 and wanted to try casing after watching the the worlds deadliest boolit video...got me hooked. After asking tons of questions I casted up 44's for a few of my rifles and pistols and 45's for my 450 bushmaster. My fist time out I shot a 1 1/4" group at a 100 yards with the bushmaster using my first cast of 300g lees. The second range session out my best load shot 1.1". Still working on figuring how I'm going to make it cloverleaf, lol. I owe it to all the members on this site that were nice enough to answer all my questions. I still have a lot more learning to do!

I learned my craft (reloading and casting) back in the 70s as a man in his mid 20s. I started with a Lee Loader and worked up to a Lyman Spartan Press and Lyman dies and every book I could find on reloading. The old timers (most in their 70s) that I would shoot with at our local range offered advise and I continued to collect more references (no internet then). Bullet casting from that period was slow going but I had good mentoring. I still have my reloading records beginning from 1972. Those are not as complete as they are today, but as I learned more, the records became more detailed.

Every once in a while, I learn something new here. I appreciate the time you folks spend teaching and mentoring. I was on a Facebook site and it is full of "show me how to do" questions. So very true about what was mentioned at the beginning of this Sticky.

So, keep up the good work and I too will keep learning. By the way, I still have those first tools I bought and they still serve me well. I know that there are new toys out there that make life easier, but as long as mine are serviceable I'll keep using them.

Banned
    I think it is also about how you phrase questions. Do you show respect for the people you are asking? Humility is probably the biggest thing. I have some rare occasions when I am somewhat humble. When I ask questions from that frame of mind they usually generate a lot of response.

Boolit Buddy
    Gonna take me a lifetime to read all that is here, then I have to remember it!! Good post.

Boolit Buddy
    I respectfully suggest you add a 7th category to your hierarchy: Cast bullet match shooter, ala BPCR, Schuetzen, Silhouette, CBA or other shooting matches. That's a really good way to get in-depth exposure.

I'm a newbie here, came over from the Marlin Owners forum looking for more info on reloading cast bullets.
    What a treasure trove of info, thanks to all that contribute.

Czy Horse

Boolit Master

Welcome aboard CZY Steed. Don't plan on saving any money by casting as it is like owning a boat. Ya keep throwing money into it but it is fun. I have a Marlin 336 CB in 38-55 Winchester. It is a blast to shoot and load for. It will never have a j word bullet thru it tube if I can help it.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

much obliged Recluse,

Max

Boolit Mold
    This is my first day here, and after reading a couple of pages everyone seems like good people with a lot of common sense I think I found a nice place. Thanks guys gals

Quote Originally Posted by jimb16 View Post
    I've been reloading and casting for over 40 years. I rank myself as slightly higher than a beginner. The more I learn, the more I realize that I don't know. With so many variables (weight, primers, powder, charges, seating depth, checks, sizing, fillers, etc....) I'll feel lucky if I ever get accomplished in a single caliber!
    Little disheartening, given that I'm already 53 and (really) just getting started... Doh! But the first post was right, there's tons to learn. Reminds me of the old Karate Kid quote "walk in middle - Squashed like Grape".
    Last edited by Knightflyer; 03-29-2018 at 06:47 PM.
    Knightflyer - Pesky newbie with a 30-30 & a zillion questions
    "And what I want to say is this, that I'm the King's man; and if this Parliament of Owls is any sort of plot against the King, I'm having nothing to do with it." - C.S. Lewis, The Silver Chair
    Shalom y'all!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightflyer View Post
    Little disheartening, given that I'm already 53 and (really) just getting started... Doh! But the lead post was right, there's tons to learn. Reminds me of the old Karate Kid quote "walk in middle - Squashed like Grape".
    I'm right there with you KnightFlyer.

Boolit Master
    The search function on this board works particularly well, and new members who use that feature will definitely have a leg up.

I must be under the "others" category as I can't even figure out how to post already! lol

Whoohoo! I finally figured this out.

Boolit Master

well after the better part of 50 years, reloading and casting I can say I have most of the basics figured out now to figure out how to get good cast bullets every time. The older I get the more I ask questions as I have learned that I don't have all the answers I need or want and this is a good place to learn and ask.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

I have been a member here for awhile now, read more then I post, but have found a love in reloading and casting. This site in particular has been a huge asset as I learn, the only place to find a lot of info that I am looking for, and very well run. Thank You for that.

Boolit Master
    There is a definite reason my post count is low as it is . I do a lot more reading than I do post . I will admit that I have posted a couple questions that had I researched a little bit further I probably would’ve found the answer. once while I was in the store looking for something and didn’t have the time to research . All in all I find this an excellent post. I’ve been at reloading on and off for about 30 years . The day I stop learning is the day I stop doing .
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Buddy
    Good post, I'm new to casting. Been reloading for 36 years. I post a lot in facebook. the posting here is "different". I'm in many groups on facebook, including Castboolits one. I have posted that when I started reloading, everything was slow. Had to get a book, wait for it to showup ..... 15-21 days later. read, go down to local shop and talk to the "old guys"..... and if you didn't read first you were showed the door .....LOL. Today with social media and the wealth of KNOWLEDGE is amazing. I started casting 5-6 months ago and have learned so much in that time, reading, internet and mostly talking to people on line about different way they like. Most people are very helpful and kind. Glad I finally got into casting and wonder why it took so long ...........

Quote Originally Posted by Camper64 View Post
    I'm right there with you KnightFlyer.
    Yup, I hear yah.
    Knightflyer - Pesky newbie with a 30-30 & a zillion questions
    "And what I want to say is this, that I'm the King's man; and if this Parliament of Owls is any sort of plot against the King, I'm having nothing to do with it." - C.S. Lewis, The Silver Chair
    Shalom y'all!

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920 LastLast