RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Why some new members will do better than others here.

Boolit Buddy
    Hey, I like this. I only just got here and I'm already a handloader, and working on being a trainee bullet caster!

You mean some folk out there own guns and don't even know what they are?! I can't even imagine not having a good understanding of my firearms and the loads that they use. I even know a fair bit about loads for rifles I've never owned myself, just because I like to know these things!

Boolit Master
    Revisiting this thread and reading more of the body of this rather long thread as opposed to my previous visit .......... I came away with a better appreciation of new to this forum members.

I still see the instant gratification set but I think a larger and more silent set of new folks reside here ......... the serious lurkers!

My hat is off to you serious lurkers!

Best regards

Three 44s

Boolit Master
    Should be a sticky to be read with the rules and then a "check" box during registration to this site.
    PS Use the search function FIRST!
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

Funny you mention SEARCH. Most of the time when I was hunting down things from google, the searches brought me HERE. (not to this thread, but to this domain).

I will most likely do my thesis on how everyone has been made more impatient because of the internet. The internet has given many folks a gotta-have-it-NOW type of mentality so I can see why they come here and ask something that has already been asked- in 12 other threads.

But part of it, albeit, prolly a small percentage, also hang out at other pages that have crappy search engine functions. I used to hang out at Calguns (because I am in CA and I own firearms and I hate the ruling class politicians there) until they banned me for ten days over something stupid and since I was banned I have enjoyed my time casting for about 4+ hours each morning with my cup of coffee and assorted molds thinking of what color combinations I am gonna PC these all with. I have gotten so much done it is ridiculous.

The search function of the Calguns website is kinda junky, I mean, if you try to use it, it gives you about EVERYTHING that has that word in it and then you have mountains of things that you have to wade through, OR you gotta start all over again in advanced mode and only check off certain forums and sub forums and then a few other things before it works better. Long story short, it just does not seem to be like google and filter out things that are probably not going to work for you. So, they probably assume that the search here is the same way.

I did until someone said to SEARCH it, but when I search, I search google. Even though google is evil and hates guns, I make it search anyways.

When I see folks here, I hesitate to jump into the conversation too. I am a creative guy who really enjoys making boolits and then shooting them, and when I make a 25' 2" group standing at the range with MY boolits and the guy in the next lane is showing off for his g/f and making his target look like a shotgun hit it, I am feeling pretty good about my skill set so far. So, I will stick around a bit and hang out in forums from time to time, but I am glad to see you have an OFF TOPIC forum here. IT is comforting to see that there is a place here where I can get into trouble just as easily as the other site. : ) Actually I am starting a new game, my ban was lifted earlier today, so now I am playing, how much longer can I stay away from calguns for...

Oh and did I mention that I like to type? : D

Boolit Buddy
    I found this thread soon after I joined. In the first page someone even complained about the exact first question I asked. I had reloaded for 30 years at the time but I was new to casting and had read some on here but was excited about getting into casting and wanted to join the conversation. I really didn't feel welcomed here. I don't spend much time here and rarely ever post. I learned to cast, wasn't that hard. I cast for about 7 different pieces now and get good results. I now understand why a lot of people think the gun culture is nothing but a bunch of jerks. There are friendlier places to spend time on the net.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by IROCZ View Post
    I found this thread soon after I joined. In the first page someone even complained about the exact first question I asked. I had reloaded for 30 years at the time but I was new to casting and had read some on here but was excited about getting into casting and wanted to join the conversation. I really didn't feel welcomed here. I don't spend much time here and rarely ever post. I learned to cast, wasn't that hard. I cast for about 7 different pieces now and get good results. I now understand why a lot of people think the gun culture is nothing but a bunch of jerks. There are friendlier places to spend time on the net.
    After answering the same question for the 87th time, people get...tired.

There's a sense among some that sometimes a newbie won't spend his/her own time to find an answer, but would prefer others spend their time doing the work instead.

That's not always true, of course, but after the 87th time...you'd like to see people help themselves as much as possible, and only when stuck or when they have a unique issue, that they seek input.

I sometimes wonder if those who think the gun culture is nothing but a bunch of jerks are those from the entitlement generation, who think others were put on this earth to make their life easier. Just a thought.

Glad you were able to get the casting thing going.
    Last edited by mongoose33; 09-27-2015 at 08:52 AM.

Boolit Bub
    I'm a relative newbee I've only been at this for 43 years now and still learning.

Boolit Master
    There are lots of members here who are eager to answer questions, even the same ones over and over. A guy asks as a beginner; What is the best 200g bullet to cast for 45ACP and wants casting details, hand loading details, and all of that for the load to get best accuracy. In a very short period of time he gets many post laying it all out there on a silver platter. Some responses fair to good and a few most excellent. Life is good, he will not know the best answers from the good to middeling ones until he gets experience and continues his research anyway. At least he should not have to re-invent a well tested wheel.

prs

Banned
    i've been reloading jacketed bullets for around 20 years. cast boolits i've got a year or so. i've got a pile of lead(water line fittings and such) and i think i'll have to buy some tin. in 3 or so years(i had a stroke) i'll start cranking out boolits. until then there is always carolina bullets( http://www.carolinacastbullets.com/ ).

Boolit Master

Prior to being given the right to ask questions on this forum a prospective member should be required to read the stickies and learn from what has already been researched and written down. I loved the hierarchy of shooters.

I believe we should have a similar class system within the forum. A newbie should not be allowed to ask those blanket questions at all until he/she has read all the stickies and done some basic research. How to ensure this would require that power that be on the forum set up a syllabus of study material for a prospective forum member to study.

Thus the prospect does the studying and then they are given a written examination to complete via computer. The prospect is graded and a score recorded. If the score is acceptable then they would be awarded a promotion from newbie to the next level and their avatar would then be changed to reflect that.

If a newbie asks a question on the forum all member should note the level that the questioner has achieved and not answer the question if the newbie has not passed the test and had been awarded the promotion. This ought to clarify the issue and sort out the "instant gratification" folks from the serious people. If a prospect will not invest some time and effort to learning about this sport before getting into this group then what kind of contribution may we expect from this person?

At my range you are not allowed to use the range until you have successfully completed a pair of 4 hour training sessions with a required written test and a practical test on the range under the supervision of trained rangemasters. If you do not pass all the required tests you will not get a card to allow you to use the range.

If during a shooting session a member of the range has a complaint lodged against him by anybody for a violation of the range rules then the information is gathered a hearing held and appropriate action taken. More than one member has been kicked out because he/she failed to follow the rules or allowed a guest to do so thereby endangering other shooters. Fair is fair.
    We can do the same thing here and prevent a member like the above poster IROCZ from feeling left out in the cold by a member who may have given him the cold shoulder.

I have been shooting since '56 and I was a NYC LEO for 20 years before I got into reloading in the early '90's in an effort to save money. SURE! Since then I gave up golf and playing guitar because I love this hobby so much. Again and again I have tried to help people get into this but mostly they just want free ammo or have me make them ammo on the cheap. I refuse to do so but I will gladly help them load their own ammo on my equipment using their own powder, primers and boolits. Very few ever take me up on this offer. A few have and a handful have embraced the sport and now they are addicted also.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash Corrigan View Post
    Prior to being given the right to ask questions on this forum a prospective member should be required to read the stickies and learn from what has already been researched and written down. I loved the hierarchy of shooters.

I believe we should have a similar class system within the forum. A newbie should not be allowed to ask those blanket questions at all until he/she has read all the stickies and done some basic research. How to ensure this would require that power that be on the forum set up a syllabus of study material for a prospective forum member to study.

Thus the prospect does the studying and then they are given a written examination to complete via computer. The prospect is graded and a score recorded. If the score is acceptable then they would be awarded a promotion from newbie to the next level and their avatar would then be changed to reflect that.

If a newbie asks a question on the forum all member should note the level that the questioner has achieved and not answer the question if the newbie has not passed the test and had been awarded the promotion. This ought to clarify the issue and sort out the "instant gratification" folks from the serious people. If a prospect will not invest some time and effort to learning about this sport before getting into this group then what kind of contribution may we expect from this person?

At my range you are not allowed to use the range until you have successfully completed a pair of 4 hour training sessions with a required written test and a practical test on the range under the supervision of trained rangemasters. If you do not pass all the required tests you will not get a card to allow you to use the range.

If during a shooting session a member of the range has a complaint lodged against him by anybody for a violation of the range rules then the information is gathered a hearing held and appropriate action taken. More than one member has been kicked out because he/she failed to follow the rules or allowed a guest to do so thereby endangering other shooters. Fair is fair.
    We can do the same thing here and prevent a member like the above poster IROCZ from feeling left out in the cold by a member who may have given him the cold shoulder.

I have been shooting since '56 and I was a NYC LEO for 20 years before I got into reloading in the early '90's in an effort to save money. SURE! Since then I gave up golf and playing guitar because I love this hobby so much. Again and again I have tried to help people get into this but mostly they just want free ammo or have me make them ammo on the cheap. I refuse to do so but I will gladly help them load their own ammo on my equipment using their own powder, primers and boolits. Very few ever take me up on this offer. A few have and a handful have embraced the sport and now they are addicted also.
    Really? No offense but that's a little harsh and will definitely turn people away from this forum and potentially the sport/hobby.

Yes, repeat questions get old. Don't answer if you don't want to. Don't try to make it hard for prospective members to learn a safer way. That's counter productive.

I believe we need to help eachother out to be safe and educate; not scold them for asking a previously asked question.
    Last edited by mwells72774; 11-30-2015 at 11:59 PM.

Boolit Master
    I agree with mwells72774. We should encourage new folks, but, that said it is simple to just ignore what you do not feel like answering. I have been here for a lot of years and I don't post much. Many years ago I started a new job. I had lunch with the guy I was to replace and he gave me this advice: "You have two ears and one mouth, so use your ears twice as much as your mouth". I think that principle applies here, just exchange "eyes" for "ears". I have found that if I invest the time and effort to read, most of what I want to know gets answered.
    R.D.M.

I agree with blackthorn.

If a newbie thinks CB is a discussion board, he'll find out CB is a hostile environment. That is for sure.

CB is more like a library with punch of angry librarians.

Quote Originally Posted by Stilly View Post
    until they banned me for ten days over something stupid and since I was banned I have enjoyed my time casting for about 4+ hours each morning with my cup of coffee and assorted molds thinking of what color combinations I am gonna PC these all with. I have gotten so much done it is ridiculous.
    Yeah that's a thought...

I'm a new guy to both the forum and the hobby, but I've been around many forums over the years: fitness/nutrition, motorcycles (a forum for each make), backyard metalcasting, bicycle chopshop/welding/design, woodworking. Let me tell you, the dynamics are the same no matter WHICH field or hobby the forum deals with. You have a range of veteran members, some more welcoming than others, some who will fly off at a new guy for asking a question the answer for which might be found "in the stickies," and a steady flow of newer people with varying degrees of experience. There is nothing about this forum which is different in that respect. There is a reasonable frequency of newbie naive questions to be expected. Some people sign up and just need to get the hint once or twice. No need for some to get their panties in a wad, taking it too seriously. If a fresh face approached you in real life and asked you some basic questions about your exciting hobby, you might politely tell them "here, read this, this has some great information for you," hand them a book, and welcome them back when they have a basic understanding. The equivalent can be done on a forum.

On another point, some of the stickies have lost focus. There's some that are, what, 100+ pages and may never get to the answer I'm looking for. IMO those should be locked once they have enough good meat in 'em, but that's just my personal take on it.

I guess I'm a live and let live kinda guy.... I don't mind the questions...some I try to help answer if I can, most I don't...as I'm a relative noob myself. One thing to think about....it's not much of a stretch to think that some of the 'mid-level' up and coming experts might like answering the relatively simple questions. For me, it feels good to be able to help someone...and I expect many others feel the same way. It's also an opportunity to build a relationship with a young/inexperienced shooter or caster, which can't be anything but good for the future of our sport. My .02.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Grand Master
    no such thing as a stupid question
    ask and the doors of some will open
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Don't mean to sound hostile when pointing folks to the stickies.But some questions are obviously from someone who has done zero homework.Just a little reading in the stickies and old threads will likley not only answer the question but also answer several more questions the newbie hasn't even thought of yet.Just this morning I read a post from one I'm willing to bet all my reloading gear has never even read a reloading manual.This scares me.A little "tough love"could be a good thing at times.

Boolit Mold
    As a newbie myself, I was going to comment similar to DrDucati. I have been on many forums since I fly Radio Control R/C airplanes and those forums have these exact same discussions. I only have one thing to mention. My R/C club, when I joined in 1994, had about 135 members. We own our own field, have a clubhouse, pavilion, and about 25 acres of flying field. With the onset of video games and changing times, we are now down to about 40 members. I am 47 and I am a YOUNG guy in the club. I don't know what the future is for that club, but it doesn't look good. We have lots of old curmudgeons that I have heard complaining about spectators asking dumb questions, and then they ask why we don't have any new members. So while I understand the points here, just remember that you want to bring in new people an help them, share your hobby, and get them off to a good start, and yes, that means I am OK with gently nudging them towards search tools and stickies, just remember you don't want to scare them off because you had a bad day. Do it in a positive way, or maybe give them a link to the post, they will get the point. You just don't want them afraid to ask a question because the last time they asked a question the next 3 pages of posts were flaming the guy for not doing a search first.

Dave

Banned

We are dealing with firearms and ammunition and molten metals, so better to ask then find out the hard way. Members here are great. But a little due diligence is in order. Get a couple few reloading/cast bullet manuals and read the stickies and spend a couple few weeks/months learning and then ask questions and get to it. Take it slow, this is not a race.

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920 LastLast