WidenersTitan ReloadingGraf & SonsRepackbox
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionStainLess Steel MediaRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718

Thread: Why some new members will do better than others here.

Boolit Mold
    OK, so I joined a few (OK, several) years ago, when I started amassing beau coup (boo coo) wheel weights. Ended up with about 700-800 lb after I sorted all the trash out. Rounded up some lead from my company's radioactive work several years ago, and had high hopes. Ordered up some Lee tools, a 'turkey fryer'-? gas burner and a deep cast iron skillet. Stuff sat for 2-3 years.
    Finally got my feet wet last weekend. WW's smelted up OK, (didn't check well for Zn, tho'), and made a few 140 gn 357's. Was a fun afternoon. A good share of info came from this site, the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, and some metallurgy reading I did. Had some intercourse with Bill Ferguson, when he was still the ANTIMONY MAN, and used some common sense. I've made chemicals for 50 years, so that's helped a bit. First bullets weren't beautiful, but think I got the basic procedure down. Now to refine it and incorporate some of the things I figured out I'm lacking.

I've figured out:
    pouring is somewhat of an 'art'
    a 140 gn mold is full way before you think it is
    I think I want a 'mold oven'
    I need to super clean my mold(s)
    fluxing is still a mystery...

There's more, but I just learned I get to go out for takeout tonight, so I'm off to Outback. Maybe more later, -West

Boolit Master
    Once you have got an idea of the basics, then you can continue to learn to cast and your bullets will turn out better as you develop the pace. There are several threads on "fluxing" and the various materials to use. Some are easier than others, and some like sawdust can leave some dust in the melt of the casting furnace. I use bees wax, paraffin, and even 20 mule team borax powder. The first two smoke and flame, the latter just puffs up like styro foam, and attracts the dross. Mashed against the side of the pot with a spoon, it crushes into a dust to be skimmed and removed. The most important step is getting started. Congratulations on getting started and making a plan for the next session. Dusty

Because other members comments.lol

I've been reloading j words for 18 years now and just got into casting boolits in the last year.

In the short time I have learned that cast boolits are not forgiving and are very finicky. If my cast boolits don't like the powder im using or the crimp is to light or heavy I can't hit minute of pie plate at a 100 yards. At the same time a load my rifle doesn't like with jackets bullets still group under 2".

While I was testing loads in my ruger 77/44 and posting i had a comment that I was told i might not be capable of shooting MOA. I own many rifles that I can shoot cloverleaves with along with j words...so the challenge was on!

To give you a rundown, I just finished testing rifle number two with cast boolits since I started this journey last year. I tried three different alloys in it and I wasn't happy with my groups as I like everyone else was on the quest for MOA or better. The best groups I was getting were 2" at a 100 yards using 23.8gr of w296 along with a Lyman devastator with a 80/20 mix with a lot of pewter added.

I figured it was was time to go outside the box and look at the rifle and not the boolit. I ended up lightening the trigger, bedding the rifle, and adding a better, more powerful optic.

I retested my consistent 2" load data that used before tweaking my rifle. It shot a 1.24" group at a hundred yards. Then I tried one of my lighter loads. 21 gr of h110 with a softer alloy. It was a 16:1 mix of pure lead and pewter that tested 7.5 BH. This load shot sub MOA!

So, long story short, I did well from being razzed/challenged from other members here along with all the helpful advise. I just wanted to thank everyone for all the help along my journey of casting boolits. I have a lot to learn yet...but I think I'm getting there.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 07-27-2018 at 03:39 PM.

Boolit Master
    I've been here for a few years and there's a lot of posts that I'll look at but not answer because someone else ( or two ) has answered it. There are a few people that are ledgends in their own minds and know everything, right or wrong, but they know and all else is wrong or stupid,
    so they get ignored. I'll help when I can, share what I know, and pass on information that I've gleaned through the years. I've been casting and handloading since the middle '70's, and have learned one or two things. I still can't bring myself to powder coat boolits though.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

I have been hand loading and casting about 50 years, shooting about 70 yrs. just new to this site in the last 2 weeks& am probably guilty of asking some dumb guestions. I just powder coated my first boolits this week & am very happy with them.

some days, I need to re-read this post...today is one of those days.

Boolit Buddy

I admire this thread for several reasons; Anybody whose been reloading for as long as most of you-I salute you! It is a perishable skill as with anything that parallels it. Personally I've only been casting and reloading for about 2 years now (gotta start somewhere!). I went very slow at first. I make notes, do several searches, never assume anything and have quite a few manuals. One thing that my regular job reminds me of every single day is to NOT become complacent. Doesn't matter how long you do something, we don't have an "auto-pilot".

Boolit Buddy
    The more you learn about cast boolits, the more you know there’s so much more to learn.

Boolit Buddy
    Started reloading when i got married, next 40 years still reloading on single stage, @ 65 got a Dillon 650 started really reloading 223 and 9mm large quantity. 2 years ago started melting lead ww and stick ons to get my own alloy right. The more I learn the more I learn I need to learn more. The internet helps for info, u tube helps for looking at, but some times you just to have to get up and do it. Been powder coat ing a while too. Have 81 yo friend in town that’s helped figure out what not to do or try, been a fun ride.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718