Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Repackbox Wideners
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Why some new members will do better than others here.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    We are dealing with firearms and ammunition and molten metals, so better to ask then find out the hard way. Members here are great. But a little due diligence is in order. Get a couple few reloading/cast bullet manuals and read the stickies and spend a couple few weeks/months learning and then ask questions and get to it. Take it slow, this is not a race.
    ^^ Right on the money ^^
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy
    Somewhere in the woods of Central Oklahoma
    I am a total newbie to casting. Haven't been shooting much of my life. (I'm 70) So I stared shooting about 5 years ago and realized I couldn't afford to purchase .45-70 rounds for plinking. Started reloading about 4 years ago.....in that caliber, thinking that was all I'd reload for (as most do) and now am up to five different calibers. Have finally tired of not having the "right" bullet for each rifle or pistol, so I've been gathering equipment to cast. I'll probably fire up my new 20# Lee pot this next week when the last of the necessary pieces of equipment are in-house. I've been reading until my eyes are crossed and my head swimming in information. Do I still have questions? Hell yes. Will I have more? I can only assume so. I seriously want to learn to be a good caster. So it's really going to be a turnoff if I ask a "stupid" question of you more experienced folks and get a "do a search" answer and am chastised for "not reading the stickies". I may or may not have ever read the answer to my question, but I've obviously forgotten it or I'd not asked. Mentors are wonderful. They are patient. Mentors are teachers. They do not look down their noses at inexperience but seek to eliminate it. (I know, because I'm mentored beginners in another subject) I sincerely hope my participation on this site will be a positive one because I seriously want to become an accomplished caster.............something that, at my age, I may not have enough time to do.

If you've been reading until your eyes are crossed I kinda doubt you'll be asking any questions that annoy anyone.Its the questions from some that are answered in ANY reloading manual that annoy me.Only asking that at least that much homework is done.

Boolit Buddy

Chris C
    I started casting and reloading when I was in my teens, then in my twenties got married and of course kids to raise.
    Well, I took a hiatus from casting and reloading until I was 72 years old, got back into it and now I load and cast for nine different calibers, that was 8 years ago, yes I am now 80 years old and enjoying ever minute of it.
    I to had to learn a lot about casting when I got back into it, so I have no dought you will do great, just take your time and it will all come together, in no time you will be an expert
    I also started powder coating last year and use these boolits in my 9mm and 38 Super which I use for steel plate challenge which I also started last year, sure is fun.
    You will do fine.
    Smokeyloads

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ola View Post
    I agree with blackthorn.

If a newbie thinks CB is a discussion board, he'll find out CB is a hostile environment. That is for sure.

CB is more like a library with punch of angry librarians.
    Well put Ola.

Boolit Buddy
    Are there any good gravity separated alloys for 38 Special wadcutters that will work good with a case full of Red Dot while I'm SCUBA diving in the pool?

Boolit Mold
    Well,back to reading.

Boolit Buddy
    I did the same. I lurked on this site for months before joining.

Boolit Mold
    I turn 75 next month and have just got back into casting after being away from it for 41 years. A lot has changed since then--one being the alloy wheel weights are made of. My first post was a general question about wheel weights. It was probably considered inappropriate by some, but several patient gentlemen helped me emensely, specifically about weights made of zink. I sincerely thank them for helping me, and apologize to those I offended. At my age, I don't have time to plow ground that's already been plowed, but I will try my best in the future not to be a burden the forum.

Gene Pool

Boolit Buddy
    Good read and should be taken to Hearth but its 2016 you know. And yes up here in the north Country there are a few old bold Pilot's.

Cheers

Very good read!

As someone with adult ADHD it can be hard to slow it down at times and fight the urge for instant gratification (be it knowledge or otherwise). You're right though, there is no replacement for putting in your dues and and the experience gleaned by doing so.

So, what's a good load for the bullet that my black handgun shoots?
    You do not fight out of hate but rather the love and compassion you have for those you are trying to protect.

Boolit Mold
    Well I've been reading on this site for 4 years now and I've been casting bullets for 27 years. As far as I remember this is my first post so I hope I won't ask too many annoying questions. I had a great mentor who shot black powder silouette get me started casting.

I am as green as it gets when it comes to casting. I've been wanting to get into it for a few years but always had to many other hobbies in the way. I am just now starting to gather information and equipment. I joined this form to learn from others and there is so much information on here it's going to take me a while to find it all. I appreciate a link to something I can read and study rather than a short answer. My generation is getting a bad reputation for a quick fix and I want it now!! I like to think I'm not like that. I do want as much information before I start so when I mess up I can figure out why rather than idk what happen. I appreciate this thread it's was a good read and for all the seasoned guys if you see me post some dumb question later on call me out. I wish my generation was more like the generations of old.

So I replied to this thread but don't see it now so I'm going to try again. This was a good read for me, I am as green as it gets to lead casting. Also never been a member of any form. So I've still got a lot to learn on how to use and fine all of the information on here.

I love hobbies and I've dove off into almost all of them head first. I learn from mistakes and experience. With lead casting I know the concept but that's about the extent of it. I came here to learn first and the vast pool of information that's on this form is crazy!! I do have a lot of questions I need answered and I know a lot of them are already somewhere on here. So for you season guys if you see me ask a question I'm really asking for links rather that a quick answer. Also if I am falling into the male fly student call me out no one wants to be that guy.

I know the best way to learn is to do but like this thread said knowledge is safety. I want to be safe first then be able to enjoy doing something that's going to make what I already enjoy more enjoyable. My generation has miss out on a lot and I wish we were more like the generations of old.

Boolit Master
    HuntDawg there is a box at the top right hand side goggle search , and you can spend months in the box . The archives are full of information from years of combined knowledge . Try it out pick a topic and punch it in . Do a search on any thing you can think of . It's like sitting around wile a bunch of knowledgeable old timers are taking and sharing information . Enjoy

Banned
    What you say is unarguably true. However I would argue that it is written with more than a bit of "I know more so I am better than you." If everyone here had the attitude that noobs should just shut up read and bow to the old guys. I would have left the day I came here. I am sorry if this sounds disrespectful. I do disrespect and usually challenge those who place themselves above others. I say this at risk of incurring the wrath of the whole community here. So be it.

Boolit Master
    All of the members I have ment here are more than willing to share their time and knowledge with a new member , " but they do not owe us anything " they are sharing of their own free will . I enjoy the archives , any time I am considering a mold , or thinking about a new powder , primer combination , twist of rifling , the list goes on and on . I didn't even know what questions to ask a couple years ago so the archives were a great help for me I spent a month in the lube section . Your experience may be different from mine .

I'm in the research phase of my first (real) post to this board. I don't know enough yet to please myself with the answer. I had a prof' a million years ago that would not even recognize an inappropriate question. He wouldn't even turn his head. I happen to agree with that stance. I'm not going to live long enough to attain fluency in this handloading hobby. It makes my wife crazy though......I like it.

Boolit Buddy
    When I first joined this forum, it was to confirm the tons of information that I read on websites, manuals, etc. I do my research and it is nice to have a place that I can confirm my understanding as I'm the only one in my family (no local mentors either) that reloads, etc.

Boolit Mold

You totally nailed it, Nice Job!!!

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920 LastLast