Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Pearl Harbor is important to me.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell

Why Pearl Harbor is important to me.

Before I start. God bless the souls,survivors,those that bore witness and all those that stand since and still for this land.

Dec 7
    My 2nd Great grandmother's name was Nancy Allison , her aunt shared her name. The elder Nancy married William Mckinley in 1829 her son born in 1843 William Mckinley would become the 25th President of the US. He served in the Union Army for the duration of the Civil War w/the 23rd Ohio Infantry at 1 point w/Major Ruthaford Hays . Elected in 1896 was the CIC for the Spainish American war ''winning'' Guam,the Phillipenes and Puerto Rico. In 1898 he signed annexation papers for those and the Republic of Hawaii.

James Reed served as a CSA scout 1863-64. He married Orvillia Hoover and had 12 children together. James registered as a Cherokee Native American in 1873 . Leora James Reed the 8th or 9th child born April 28 1912 w/her twin sister Elnora. Their survival is wonder enough w/both parents being at least half bloods an a full blood mid-wife. Lee was my Grandmother . She lived a colorful life. She married an Army vet Joseph Hart in Chicago in 1927. They divorced in 39' after my Dads birth. She married again in 40 in Hawthorne Nv. Going to Oakland Ca not long after. She went to work as a welder, after getting a welders certification , in the Port Chicago shipyard until about June or July of 1941.

By know you're thinking AAAANNNNDDD??

Well, Virginia and William Wright were Nancy's great grandchildren and my grandfather and great aunt.

Leora was at least in the shipyard w/ships that were at Pearl 72yr ago.

William was in the USN 1937-39 then signed on w/Civil Service . He married Nora Louise ''Toppy'' Huges in the fall of 1940.
    Virginia had gone to school and highered on to Pan Am in 1939 . In those days a flight attendant had to be at least an accredited nurse. She was based in 1940 Honolulu and flew the entire Pacific from LA to Seattle and west to Hong Kong.

William was given a list of assignment choices 1 of which was Public Works for Wheeler and Hickum Fields and the Naval Yard at Pearl Harbor. He left Nashville about the 10th of June 41' Toppy joined him in Pearl City in November.

William was out for the morning walk down to the beach ,about 12 blocks from their apt, he was an avid fisherman and was thinking a day on the beach for them and a few casts w/cut bait might produce some sunfish. He'd paused under a palm to put his shoes on and heard the familiar engine drone thinking ''the Air corps is out early especially on a Sunday''......... It was 5 days before he would know if his sister or wife had survived. During the next 3 days he would ride boats as a survivor recovery man...... mostly he just recovered the dead . On the 10th he was released to his shop to continue pulling new power lines in to pad up the spliced band-aided lines for the Navy Yard and the airfield .
    Toppy awake to the 1st explosions and breaking glass. She pulled the bed up against the inside wall closet door. And padded the walls w/pillows and waited ..............11hr later the 1st patrol for survivors hammered the door and gave her directions....more directives to go to the highschool gym. She would spend 10 days there seeing William just twice. ''I was terrified,not knowing who or what was happening . All I could do was to go to an inside corner and pad myself all around as best as I could.''
    Virginia would arrive some 22 hours later w/65 fully equipped USAA troops braced for having to possibly pontoon raft from Molokai to Pearl. When they arrived in the sea port ''airfield'' their sea plane was pressed into service and stripped from a luxury trans-Pacific aircraft to cargo/Medevac airplane . She was drafted into Hospital service for 21 days of 18hr days. Imagine the shift ,airsick and altitude sickness to meatball amputation assistant. I would be 16 days before she would stumble onto William and learn that he and Toppy had come out untouched by the attack.

Not 1 of them ever received formal recognition nor have they been eligible for any Pearl Harbor Survivor privileges.
    It is also interesting to note the ''unintended'' consequences of 1 man signing a single document , and the potential for those to effect 1's own family for over a century.

William has been gone nearly 20 yrs 12/25/17-12/17/94
    Virginia passed in 2008
    Toppy lives in assisted living recently taking a 5 generation picture w/1 daughter,her only grandson,3 greats and GG grands.
    Leora passed 12/14/2007 out living 3 husbands and 12 siblings including her twin sister by nearly 10yr and her ''baby'' brother by almost 5 yr.

That's my story about today 12/7 has effected my life and who I am.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Man

I LOVE family history. Thank you for sharing yours... Best wishes.
    Trochilids, Living in The Great Land

"And that the said Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms." -- Samuel Adams, February 6, 1788.
    "Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense?" -- Patrick Henry, 1836.

What a story! Thanks for sharing.......
    AMERICAN EX-PRISONERS OF WAR -- NON SOLUM ARMIS

Boolit Master
    I hope you have all this history written down somewhere, and passed on to your family. It's quite a history, many thanks for sharing.

I'll second the "God bless the souls,survivors,those that bore witness and all those that stand since and still for this land." And thank you for your family history story.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    WOW

What a great family history.

Thanks for the great post.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Mold

Thank you for sharing that history. It was a great post.
    "America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the ********." - Claire Wolfe

Bill,
    My daughter the artist is responcible for the actual work ,but the idea came from me. With the family history It feels very right. Ol'Glory w/a Rebel yell and a Jolly Roger for the Code Conduct that even the men that were on the wrong side of the law lived by. (even if it is romantisized)

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    I hope you have all this history written down somewhere, and passed on to your family. It's quite a history, many thanks for sharing.
    It is all catalogued and in slip sheet binders.

Boolit Master

Thanks for your recite of you family history
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Grand Master

Good afternoon and Thanks for that write up.
    It is always the people involved who make or break a nation. Thanks to God there have always been fine Americans ready and willing to give their time and lives so we could remember.
    May each December 7th survivor have a peaceful life.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy
    A lot of history there, thanks for sharing.

Boolit Master

My uncle Bud was on the Arizona. The following month his brother, Phillip was killed in the Philippines. Pearl Harbor day and VJ day have a special significance for my family.

A couple of years ago, I heard an impressionable young college student say that it was only fair that the Japanese (not PC to say jap) bombed Pearl Harbor, after all we dropped an atom bomb on them.

I do not think their is any hope for this country as stupid as young people have become.

I felt the need to drag this back up from page 287 since it is very nearly Pearl Harbor day again.

May God give rest to all the weary souls and peace and resolve to all their families.
    Last edited by Harter66; 12-05-2014 at 02:50 PM.

Boolit Master

Thank you, I missed it the first time around.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master

Thank you, Harter66, for sharing this with the rest of your extended family.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master
    Thank you for the great post!

Thanks Harter66, that's a good read. JW

Moderator Emeritus

Thank you to all who have served or are serving. My grandparents were farmers during WWII so none of them went into battle, government wanted them on the land. Lost an uncle in Korea though and currently have 5 nieces and nephews in the military

Boolit Bub

Thank you so much for sharing. I remember we were told that our preacher's son went down with the Arizona that day. I was 9 years old. old benn

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast