WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: cast boolits for 22 Hornet

Boolit Buddy

cast boolits for 22 Hornet

Are there any commercial boolit casters who sell cast boolits suitable for a 22 Hornet?
    I have tried searching but my skills are too good in that area.
    Thanks!

Boolit Master

Yes

and no....

You are not going to want them.

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bull...category=7&id=
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Grand Master

$22.00 a hundred, 1 pound. I've never considered selling my lead but geez, I also never considered that I had $35,000 in lead. I'm rich.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Bub
    I have to agree with williamwaco, yes & no. I wanted to try some as well for the .22 Hornet and ordered a couple boxes back in October from Beartooth and have yet to receive them or hear a response back from them as to the status of my order. YMMV but a better bet would probably be to see if any members here could send you a few to try. I would if I had a mould.... but alas, that hasn't happened yet either.

**Just an update to this thread if anyone was following- I just received a reply from Beartooth Bullets this morning and they said they are running 16+ weeks behind. They don't bill until item/s ship so you can cancel anytime. I'm keeping my order, I just really appreicate the update since I see no mention of delayed orders. Thanks Beartooth!
    Last edited by abcollector; 12-12-2013 at 10:40 AM. Reason: update on Beartooth order

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    North American Arms, has 41 grain, apparently swaged, .224 bullets, 250 count, for 8$ plus shipping. I got some for the precise purpose of developing subsonic 22H loads. They might work. I'll start as soon as spring breaks out.

BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

I'm in the process of setting up to cast and heat treat NOE 45 grain bullets for a Hornet.
    They will be cast soft, heat treated HARD (23-27 bhn) and gas checked ans sized through a .225 die.
    Now all I need is a Dillon conversion set, a lee collet crimp, and some brass. I have plenty of powder and primers, but something is missing...
    oh yeah... the CZ 527 American....
    Hoping to get that next month.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks - looks like I need to invest in a mold.

Boolit Buddy
    1911 i like the way you think. (gotta have a plan)

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by pls1911 View Post
    They will be cast soft, heat treated HARD (23-27 bhn)
    Interesting, what alloy are you using?

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Bub
    Baron von Trollwhack, thanks for that tidbit! But where are you seeing the 41gr bullets? I am justing seeing 30gr bullets? I'd like to try some as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Trollwhack View Post
    North American Arms, has 41 grain, apparently swaged, .224 bullets, 250 count, for 8$ plus shipping. I got some for the precise purpose of developing subsonic 22H loads. They might work. I'll start as soon as spring breaks out.

BvT

Boolit Master
    I think what boolit you are looking for is all about the twist rate. No long bullet is going to stabilize in a 1-16" twist. A 1-12" seems about ideal. The later Handi-rifles are 1-9". A longer bullet would be in order but you can't get enough powder in that little case to do any good with big bullets anyway. I am going to be working with a Handi-rifle here shortly but don't know the twist yet. Have a heap of Bator 52 grain bullets to try. If it's a 1-12", I think I'll be in luck. 1-9" would probably work for low speed loads.