Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
Wideners

Thread: Do-it-yourself lanyard ring for a Ruger??

Boolit Master

Do-it-yourself lanyard ring for a Ruger??

A question for all you tinkerers out there. After a near disaster on Monday (dozed off in the treestand) I am beginning to understand the virtue of lanyard loops/rings on revolvers. I'd taken to cradling the Ruger New Model Blackhawk in .45 colt in my lap after the 3rd. buck walked by (2 of them legal) and had a spike bed down at the base of the ladder as well. I figgered with all the bucks...there hadda be a doe somewhere around me. Which, of course, is what I was looking for. I simply...don't shoot bucks... though I do make an exception for an occasional mercy killing. Anyways...I digress. I nearly dropped the handgun...twice...while resting my eyes. The Hunter Chest Holster is such a p.i.a. I didn't want to re-holster the arm. I tried tying a paracord tether to the trigger guard..won't work. Interferes with the trigger movement. Tried tying it around the Hogue Grips...won't work.. interferes with the grip and hammer movement. Thought about tying it to the Ultra Dot...decided against that. I Googled such devices and Bowen actually makes one for the Blackhawk...with the Hogue grips even!!! For $50. DANG! It's a screw with a hole in it. Now I remember removing and re-installing that screw in the Ruger was a real p.i.a (even if I don't remember why) and am hesitant to take it out without asking if anyone here has made a lanyard loop/ring for their Ruger Blackhawk with Hogue grips installed. Do you recall what the threads were on the grip screw? Worse comes to worse I'll pull the screw but as I recall it took me an hour to get it back in last time. Mebbe a thumb screw of the proper thread...with a hole drill thru for the tether? Hmmm...? I also saw some home made attempts that involved removing the entire grip from the frame and drilling and tapping and have no desire to do that. And before the safety gurus arrive...I was strapped to the tree and the stand...no way I could fall out. Thanks to all. Audie....the frugal Oldfart.

Perma-Banned

You could always crazy glue the grips to your hand that would help

The problem you are having with the screw in the Hogue grips is aligning the nut that is attached to the grip frame with a bracket inside the grips. If you take the grips off and look at it until you understand the relationship, you can then reposition the bracket and nut inside the grips and attach the screw very easily. With a very little bit of practice you will be able to remove and replace Hogue grips quickly and without apprehension.

However, in your situation, you might consider just putting a hook on a neck lanyard (one of the lanyards that people wear ID badges on while at work). Just clip the hook on the trigger guard, and remove it when you wake up and want to take a shot.

Boolit Buddy

Hey frugal Oldfart, why not do what I do and wear a front loading small game vest. I put the handgun in the vest and just let the handle stick out while in a stand. Barrel is pointedaway from body, handle of handgun is easy to get to when worn in cross draw fashion whether righty or lefty and it's almost silent to draw gun. I use a Columbia Grouse II vest and been using it for over 20 years now. For me it works great,YMMV

2shot

bhn22
    Let's make it easier. Think about adapting a sling swivel stud, and use a detachable sling swivel on your lanyard. You should be able to find a stud you can rethread, and cut to length. Then replace the Hogue mounting screw with it. Perhaps a touch of blue loctite would be prudent. If you want it a permanent affair, drill & tap a hole in the bottom of the grip frame.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfart1956 View Post
    A question for all you tinkerers out there. After a near disaster on Monday (dozed off in the treestand) I am beginning to understand the virtue of lanyard loops/rings on revolvers.
    I work at height with tools, over other workers. So I deal with tool lanyards regularly.

The problem is that lanyards are a last-ditch safety device. Not plan "A".

Dropping a loaded handgun on a lanyard is not safer than just dropping it. It could strike across the hammer, or snag on something pointed in an unsafe direction; you might then jar it when you snap awake.

Lanyards are great for inherently-dangerous activities like cavalry charges, or for military officers leading men across a battlefield with shells exploding all around. Activities where accidental discharges and scratching the pistol are low-priority.

I suppose you could suspend the handgun on the lanyard before falling asleep, so no uncontrolled drop. But you would need a long enough lanyard to aim the gun, so when suspended it would hang well below and you would have to pull it up when a deer appeared. Another opportunity for snagging, also a hassle.

Built a little box or basket on the front of your seat, and leave the gun there. That's what we do with tools at height in fixed working positions.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    What I have done is take an Uncle Mikes front sling swivel stud only, the type which threads into a nut escutcheon inletted into the inside of the barrel channel. Drill and tap the grip frame for the stud, check length of the threaded shank, then shorten it so that the shoulder of theswivel stud will screw down flush with the grip frame. Then fix it tight with Loctite. Instead of a QD sling swivel, go to the hardware store and buy a 1/2" diameter steel split key ring and install through the hole in the stud. Not fancy, but inexpensive and sturdy.

Boolit Grand Master
    If this is the Hogue Monogrip that is held on by one screw through the bottom of the grip, all the ones I have seen for GP-100's and S&W revolvers were 10-32; meaning the machine screw sling swivel stud will work. It may take a bit of shortening with a file, but it will work.

I don't really like lanyards, unless there is deep cold water involved, but in some situations they make sense.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all the great replies fellers. I don't know why I never thought to snatch up the camo shooting vest and tuck it in a front pocket? Duh! And Outpost/Mk42 thanks for that info! Yes, this has the Hogue Mono-Grip and I'll skoot into Walmart today while in town and see if I can find the 10-32 threaded sling swivel. Excellent. I'm figgering to couple this with a very short lanyard, think camera lanyard around my wrist. I carry with only 5 chambers loaded, empty one under the hammer even though it is a new model, so I'm not concerned with a negligent discharge. I'm concerned about dropping the UltraDot. Doubt it would phase the Ruger. Putting a receptacle/tool holder on the side of the stand might be a good idea as well. I knew you guys would come thru. Audie...the Oldfart..

In Remebrance

I'm a fan of lanyards, well designed ones anyway. I spent 2 days searching for my Model 19 once. You do that and you'll feel as I do.

Someone a few years back was making or showing how to make a basic lanyard mount from spring steel shim stock. IIRC the basic idea was that it went around the frame and was pinched together, so to speak, under the grips and was left with a set of ears to attach the lanyard to. The grips weren't a huge problem reportedly because he was using something like .025 thick stock and the grips fit over it pretty well. After market grips were even easier as they have little value and can be relieved where the shim stock is. Looked like a simple, workable solution to me.

Banned

Attachment 89789It is EASY and I use the 6' utility sling that Midsouth sells. PERFECT over the shoulder sling. I drill and tap the gun and use a bushing to take up the grip thickness. I have enough room inside for a self locking nut.
    The hardest part is cutting the rubber grip, it has a steel insert.
    Most of my revolvers I have has the stud and I only need one sling.

Banned

Better picture. My .475 BFR with the sling. The best thing is it hangs at hand length when walking and still hunting. When the gun is in the shoulder holster, the sling is still over my shoulder. When shooting, it is just right to add pressure and steady the hold.
    Just adjust the sling. I taped it over the buckle. Attachment 89796

Boolit Grand Master

Drill and tap 10-32 and use and Uncle Mikes sling swivel adapter, you can either put a ring through it or just use a sling swivel. If you want to be right up town chuck it up in a lather or a drill and round it to lok just like a factory ring.

Boolit Mold
    I think Houge makes a mono grip screw that has a lanyard loop on the end of the screw. you just tighten the screw with your fingers on the loop instead of using a screwdriver.

Boolit Master
    Fellers thanks again for all the tips. 44man your setup is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm hoping to achieve that without drilling and tapping if possible. (Bowen actually makes one but as mentioned...$50.) I have contacted Hogue waiting on a response now. I pulled the grip screw hoping it would be 10-32 as the Uncle Mikes threaded sling mount screws are and I'm not so sure that screw isn't metric. It's not exactly 10-32 and not 10-24 either. Hmm..? I just got put back on 6 nights a week so forgive the time between replies. I do get in every day to read. Again, many thanks. Audie...the Oldfart...

Groo here
    If your grips are held on by a single screw at the bottom, contact S&W or hogue,SSK or other companies for a replacement screw with a ring on it.
    I got some from S&W [used in the kits] for $5 each.

Boolit Master
    Fellers this post is a bit dated but thought I'd get back with my results. Wanted to put a lanyard loop on both Rugers, a blued Blackhawk and a stainless Super Blackhawk. Anyways, went to the my gunsmith and he just happened to have the threaded (10-32) sling attachment screws. They're black so it works dandy with the Hogue grip. (p.s. never got a reply from Hogue on the lanyard screws) I removed the grips and the first thing I noticed was the little "stirrup" that the screw threads into. By the way, don't know what thread/size this is as I don't have a screw other than the Hogue screw that fits it. Anyway, the stock grip screw threads into a little square nut held into the stirrup with a simple clip. I thought..."This can't be this easy?" Ohhhh yes it is. Just snap off the clip and toss the odd sized nut and insert a nut with 10-32 threads. I rummaged around in the junk drawer and found two 10-32 threaded nuts but found they were a bit too thick to use the little clip. So I Gorrilla Taped them in place. I suppose you could epoxy/solder/or even crazy glue them in place. I didn't know if this was actually going to work so I used tape. It works right smart! Upon re-assembling the grips I found I had to cut a smidge off the sling screw (now a lanyard ring) or it would bottom out before it tightened up. The Blackhawk required about 1/8 inch removed and the Super Blackhawk about 3/16 inch. The grip screw location is different on the two guns by the way. The whole job for 2 Rugers took less time to do than it did to type this up and they look factory. No drilling, no tapping, no spacers and no trying to find parts. And no $50 for one from Bowen. My total cost was $3.25 each for the sling screws and I had the tape and nuts. Easy peasy punkin squeezy. Audie...the happy Oldfart..

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by oldfart1956 View Post
    Fellers this post is a bit dated but thought I'd get back with my results. Wanted to put a lanyard loop on both Rugers, a blued Blackhawk and a stainless Super Blackhawk. Anyways, went to the my gunsmith and he just happened to have the threaded (10-32) sling attachment screws. They're black so it works dandy with the Hogue grip. (p.s. never got a reply from Hogue on the lanyard screws) I removed the grips and the first thing I noticed was the little "stirrup" that the screw threads into. By the way, don't know what thread/size this is as I don't have a screw other than the Hogue screw that fits it. Anyway, the stock grip screw threads into a little square nut held into the stirrup with a simple clip. I thought..."This can't be this easy?" Ohhhh yes it is. Just snap off the clip and toss the odd sized nut and insert a nut with 10-32 threads. I rummaged around in the junk drawer and found two 10-32 threaded nuts but found they were a bit too thick to use the little clip. So I Gorrilla Taped them in place. I suppose you could epoxy/solder/or even crazy glue them in place. I didn't know if this was actually going to work so I used tape. It works right smart! Upon re-assembling the grips I found I had to cut a smidge off the sling screw (now a lanyard ring) or it would bottom out before it tightened up. The Blackhawk required about 1/8 inch removed and the Super Blackhawk about 3/16 inch. The grip screw location is different on the two guns by the way. The whole job for 2 Rugers took less time to do than it did to type this up and they look factory. No drilling, no tapping, no spacers and no trying to find parts. And no $50 for one from Bowen. My total cost was $3.25 each for the sling screws and I had the tape and nuts. Easy peasy punkin squeezy. Audie...the happy Oldfart..
    How about a picture, I am confused with what you did.

Boolit Master
    44 man adding a photo is such a p.i.t.a due to the lack of an attachment button. Mebbe this will explain it better. The Hogue Monogrip comes with a metal stirrup that attaches to the Ruger grip. (the metal part of the revolver) Look at the stirrup and notice the little nut that the Hogue screw threads in to? Replace that nut (it's just a little square nut) with a 10-32 nut. Now shorten the Uncle Mikes threaded 10-32 piece (sling mount) and screw it in. Audie...the Oldfart..

Banned

OK, got it.