MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: 625-6 .45 ACP--What Boolit Hardness Is Best?

Boolit Master

625-6 .45 ACP--What Boolit Hardness Is Best?

I have a 625-6 4" Mountain Gun in .45 ACP and I'm hoping that someone with experience on this revolver can suggest what alloy/harness might shoot best. For years I have cast boolits for my .45 autos hard following the "guidance" of "experts" that the shallow rifling of these pistols requires a hard cast boolit to ensure that it doesn't skip over the rifling or some such theory.

My question is what should be a reasonable boolit for the S&W? I normally cast boolits such as the Lee 230 grain truncated cone or the Lee 255 RNFP sized to .452 of water dropped WW. These are loaded close to reloading manual max velocity as the revolver is carried as a field gun rather than a target or gaming piece. The gun's condition is very good and rifling is pristine. All comments will be appreciated. GF

Boolit Master

I had good results using hard commercial 200 gr SWCs over 5.8 grs of W231 in AutoRim cases. My experience is that AR cases are better for accuracy than clipped ACP cases. My experience with stout loads and a "soft" Keith 250 was disappointing, but I haven't repeated the experiment with a harder alloy yet.

Boolit Master

Gray Fox:
    COWW works very well, and is easy.
    I have cast, loaded and fired thousands of boolits with plain old clip on wheel weights. I have used them for 38 spcl; 45 acp, .41 magnum plinking and full house, and 45 Colt.
    Decades ago, I never even added tin, now that tin is the "norm", I drop some in, just because I have
    it.
    Regards
    Jack

Boolit Grand Master

I run about 5000-7500 rounds per year through my 625's now that I am no longer competing. I cast my own bullets and find clip on WW's+2% tin works VERY well. Accuracy with both revolvers (a 5" Model 625-6 Model of 1989 and a 4" Model 625-8 JM special runs under an inch at 25 yards.

These days I shoot mostly the Mihec version of the H&G #68 ahead of 4.0 grs of Bullseye or equivalent (currently Titegroup).

I have read internet complaints of modern barrels with cast bullets. In my case, I have NO complaints whatsoever. My 625's are my favored revolvers these days. I wouldn't hesitate to go deer hunting with mine with suitable loads, either (250 gr Keith ahead of 7.0 grs of Unique for 900+ fps.).

FWIW
    Dale53

HONCHO EMERITUS

Gray Fox-

I have the same 625-6 (4") Mountain gun. With my Group Buy 45-270-Ohaus boolit I had to go to a very hard alloy to avoid leading just after the the forcing cone. What ended up working for me was a copper babbit enhanced alloy, water dropped, with a bhn of 28-29.

If the softer alloys don't end up working for you send me a pm and I can help you get the right alloy mixed up.

Hope this helps,
    -Matt
    Group Buys Honcho'd: C326-175-FN, 434-210-RF, C434-210-RF, 30-165-SIL-MOD, 358156-PB, 413-170-Keith, C348-225-FN, 8mm SIL, 45-230-CM, 45-270-Ohaus/SWC, Edd's 28-170-FN

Boolit Master

My 625 always leaded a little at the forcing cone just like Dutch`s regardless of bhn, but never went real hard as he did.(now I feel the throats were smaller than the bore) but best was bhn 11-13 runnin 5gr. 231 under a 230ish roundnose.

Wish I had it back & could do some measuring & reaming!!
    GP100man

Super Moderator

My 625 (5" Model of 1989) does just fine with any alloy and any boolit that I have tried... with no leading. The alloy that I use the most in my 45ACP guns is 1/3/96. I also use 1/25 for the NOE 230gr large HP. I size to .452 and use BAC lube. I also use 5.0 gr 231, a good accurate combo.

Boolit Grand Master
    What is appropriate for hardness is what shoots well, whatever that is.

Due to my penchant for looking at recovered bullets, and my liking for 246-255 grain SWC's, I have found that hard bullets, preferably heat treated wheelweights of 27 BHN or similar, skid less than the softer alloys and shoot better.

Lighter weight SWC's with generous forward bands skid less if cast soft due to less inertia causing them to ride over the rifling. When heavy SWC's are used with soft alloys the bullets skid so badly all the rifling marks are obliterated and accuracy is poor. In my guns, anyway.

The very shallow rifling is a big culprit, as is the extra long jump from cylinder to rifling origin.

Banned

625s tend to have real shallow rifling and benifit from a hard bullet. I wouldnt fool with anything softer then ww and mine is usually fed something like #2

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all the comments from you 625 shooter, this is just what I have been hoping for. Dutch, I may just drop you a note after the first of the year. Merry Christmas to all of you. GF

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    I have a 625-6 4" Mountain Gun in .45 ACP and I'm hoping that someone with experience on this revolver can suggest what alloy/harness might shoot best. For years I have cast boolits for my .45 autos hard following the "guidance" of "experts" that the shallow rifling of these pistols requires a hard cast boolit to ensure that it doesn't skip over the rifling or some such theory.

My question is what should be a reasonable boolit for the S&W? I normally cast boolits such as the Lee 230 grain truncated cone or the Lee 255 RNFP sized to .452 of water dropped WW. These are loaded close to reloading manual max velocity as the revolver is carried as a field gun rather than a target or gaming piece. The gun's condition is very good and rifling is pristine. All comments will be appreciated. GF
    I have the exact same gun next to me on my bed stand & it is fed 230gr Black Talons.

For cast I have been using straight COWWs for 45acp, LC, 41 & 44Mag standard loads, air dropped since the 60s & water quenched on the Mags for mag loads.

I, like little jack says, now throw a once or 2 of tin per pot, just because. You don't need "hard" for acps.

Never have had leading, accuracy is great.

Use 200swc & 230rn in 1911, 230rn & fn in 25/625s & except for the 200s for match, all are pretty much full velocity loads. Feel over 230 is too heavy for acps.

I love my 625/25s & would carry it but it's 2 heavy so I bought a 325PD & it carries the same Black Talons & weighs within an oz of my Kimber Ultra Carry. So it just depends if I want to load my Kimber mags or just slap a moon clip in the 325.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    My 625 (5" Model of 1989) does just fine with any alloy and any boolit that I have tried... with no leading.does just fine with any alloy and any boolit that I have tried... with no leading issues. The alloy that I use the most in my 45ACP guns is 1/3/96. I also use 1/25 for the NOE 230gr large HP. I size to .452 and use BAC lube. I also use 5.0 gr 231, a good accurate combo.
    I also have a 625 (5" Model of 1989). It works great w/ plain WW and any boolit that I have tried, no leading issues. NRA lube and 5 to 6 grains Herco.

AND my 625 Mountain Gun (4" .45 Colt caliber) also works great w/ plain WW and any boolit that I have tried, no leading issues. NRA lube and 6 to 8 grains Herco.