Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: H and R misfires

Boolit Master
    Anyone get their Handi 7.62x39 to fire milsurp ammo?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dualsport View Post
    Anyone get their Handi 7.62x39 to fire milsurp ammo?
    No, but it is a joy with cast 311466.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy

Just thought I'd give an update. Got my 357 Handie back (7 days total) the sheet said they changed the hammer spring... but I measured the firing pin protrusion and it was @ .043 vs .036 when I sent it it . Ran about 50 rounds through and no mis-fires. A comparison of primer strikes before and after repair showed a noticeably deeper impression.

Banned

Good to know there is such excellent customer service under the Remington/Private Equity Co. umbrella.

Thanks for the responses. Might buy it from him if I can figure out a fair price. He doesn't want to mess with it.
    I'm just the welder, go ask him>

Handi 223s & 7.62x39 are noted for not igniting milisurp ammo. They don't like the hard primers. Headspace on handloaded cartridges can also cause this problem. H&R also had to make a design change on the t-bar a few years back, you might have one of the bad T-bars in your rifle.

There is a way to solve the t-bar problem, permanently. You can buy the old style H&R hammer from Numrich and an new double coil hammer spring from Wolff and install them in your receiver (don't buy the spring from Numrich, as they are quite old). You will remove and discard the t-bar during this process. Information about this is available at graybeard in the H&R CF rifle forum, FAQs sticky thread.

BB

Wolf sells extra power springs also and there's a guide to installing stuff in the Perklo Trigger Job in the FAQ at Graybeards for how to disassemble and reassemble. 8)

Got the rifle with 100+ rds that missfired and another 80 rds of american eagle that he tossed in cause he tried a few and they did the same. Going to work through the basic stuff and if it does like he says and misfires, send it back to H&R, add a barrel in the process. $120

Gonna give it to my son for a starter rifle.
    I'm just the welder, go ask him>

I have an H&R Topper I'm starting this little "journey" on.

I just had it out today burning up a box of OLD junk 20's of all variations of bad. Had 2 out of the 25 I couldn't MAKE go off. Then I "recalled" something like that from a while back, but I REALLY LOVE SHOOTING THIS GUN. So I guess I'm going a little deeper in it now.

Compare the other 23 that all fired and the 2 that would not even after repeated attempts. The primer in dent appeared VERY slight on the two shells that didn't fire and pretty much normal on everything else.

Pulled the barrel off and inserted the shells for a look and they leave just a slight ridge look above barrel. Inserted and barrel closed it all appears a tight lock up. One of the two didn't want to eject so I knocked it out.

Previous fired shells all seemed to behave pretty similar.

Took the barrel off again. Cocked the hammer and slowly lowered while holding the barrel back and it looked like pretty darn good protrusion. Not like anything that should be a problem.

Looking like a "ammo" problem some how for now. I loaded the two problem children in to my Remington 870 one at a time and one fired, the other didn't. So what ever the problem is I threw those two in the trash so I don't repeat it in any reloads.

Tomorrow is another day but for this evening, "King, this case is closed."
    Free men own guns. Slaves don't.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12