RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Family Feud

Why are you guys beating the dog sh%* out of my thread?

PS. Can I use Unique in the .45ACP?, and do I need a Gas check? If so what brand is best?
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    You save money doing this? I just shoot more for the same money. It does keep me out of the bars at night......
    Night??? ha! I'm there by 11:00 AM
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Asking if 4831 will work in your 9mm tells me you haven't got a clue about powder burn rates and I'm not going to answer.
    Some guys might just be new enough to not even understand burn rate as a factor. I don't recall seeing any discussion of burn rate in the manuals I read (and I did read them). It was only fairly recently that burn rate even entered my mind as a reloader. The only reason I never asked a similar question is because I only use a powder if there is data for it in one of my manuals - and I like even better for it to be in at least two of them so I can compare.
    But... by loading that way I remained ignorant of burn rate. It wasn't something that ever crossed my radar.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that sometimes the newbie questions aren't a result of being lazy or not wanting to learn, they can be a result of being too ignorant to know the right question to ask.

As I was typing this post, something else occurred to me... There has been much talk in this thread about reading the manual to learn basic concepts.
    Which manuals are best in that regard?
    It's pretty clear that what I have doesn't include some of the basic information.

Boolit Grand Master
    Burn rate is important. The question should then be "Why can I use 4831 in my 270 but not in my 40 SW when the handgun runs at a lower pressure"? That shows me where you lack understanding and where the knowledge needs to be applied. "Can I use 4831 in my 40 S&W" just tells me you don't have a clue.

I prefer clear, concise questions. I hate "school me on powders" or "what is the best.....". Those just come across as lazy. Take the time to think about what it is you don't understand and verbalize a question that sums up the lack of knowledge in such a way that we can help.

As for good manuals, the old ABC's of Reloading come to mind. No specifics but lots of general information. It gives a good glossing over of many of the topics needed, a general understanding of most issues will come from reading it, studying it, and going back to it.

Boolit Grand Master

Here you go. Only 20 bucks plus shipping. Makes a great Christmas present.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post

PS. Can I use Unique in the .45ACP?, and do I need a Gas check? If so what brand is best?
    Why? Because in family feuds we beat the carp out of everything. You never had siblings, did you?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Why did you cut off my quote right where it explained what you explained?

Original statement: "Everybody just chill for a minute. At the end of the day it is all about saving money (or so we think), shooting more, being self sufficient, and having fun."
    Simply to make the point that some do cast exclusively to save money and nothing else matters but that is not me, I cast so that I can make it with my own two hands and learn enough to make it work.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Why? Because in family feuds we beat the carp out of everything. You never had siblings, did you?
    Now that's language I understand. Can we arrange a central meeting spot (with mats and a ring) and just get this cabin fever thing taken care of properly.....

Boolit Grand Master
    No ring or mats for me. I prefer a verbal pummeling over a physical one, I ain't that big a guy.

This is just typical banter here. We have some strong opinions and aren't afraid to voice them. A lot.

I see no problems as long as it doesn't get personal.

Banned

Not a single one of us can relate to the young today and God help us. My daughter is a school custodian, you need to hear the horror stories about the kids today. Families today just dump everything on teachers, teachers that unions protect even if they can't read or understand themselves what they are supposed to teach. Liberals have destroyed the education system. I grew up when teachers had big paddles with holes in them and you never, ever opened your mouth in class or walked around the whole school when you were in a class. I have been there helping my daughter when some work needed done that nobody hired to do it, would do it. Maintenance refused so I took out windows and framed them free. I seen the kids---we are lost my friends and they will VOTE.
    All the workers and teachers hired do nothing with tax payers footing the bills. The school has a roof leaks so buckets are in the halls.
    Kids graduate that can't read or make change, then some go to liberal college's where only money counts.
    This has been going on so long now that many can not understand what they read, simple is like lawyer talk or reading the Obuma care law. The gov't can't understand what they passed.
    Just read the test results from all over the world and this country sucks when we spend billions more on education---throw money at it to fix it.
    It is creeping in here and it gets very tiresome to repeat, repeat and repeat to the point many of us just skip posts. So I understand and yet this hobby has dangers involved.

Banned

Instead of griping about this subject every week or so have any of you guys with 5, 10, 15, or 20 thousand posts ever thought about turning the computer off and doing something else for a while? A little trigger time, a good book, or a good steak at your favorite restaurant might help settle the nerves.

Boolit Grand Master
    I went shopping with the wife yesterday. We sat and watch some good football games last night. I use an iPad so I can multitask.

Trigger time? Let's see, it is 15 degrees, snowing, and a bit breezy right now. Shooting is out of the question.

If the implication is that we don't have a life then I disagree. This is my hobby, what I do for fun. I don't drink, smoke, womanize, or gamble. This is what I do. I have plenty of bullets cast right now but I may go make more today anyway.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Not a single one of us can relate to the young today and God help us. My daughter is a school custodian, you need to hear the horror stories about the kids today. Families today just dump everything on teachers, teachers that unions protect even if they can't read or understand themselves what they are supposed to teach. Liberals have destroyed the education system. I grew up when teachers had big paddles with holes in them and you never, ever opened your mouth in class or walked around the whole school when you were in a class. I have been there helping my daughter when some work needed done that nobody hired to do it, would do it. Maintenance refused so I took out windows and framed them free. I seen the kids---we are lost my friends and they will VOTE.
    All the workers and teachers hired do nothing with tax payers footing the bills. The school has a roof leaks so buckets are in the halls.
    Kids graduate that can't read or make change, then some go to liberal college's where only money counts.
    This has been going on so long now that many can not understand what they read, simple is like lawyer talk or reading the Obuma care law. The gov't can't understand what they passed.
    Just read the test results from all over the world and this country sucks when we spend billions more on education---throw money at it to fix it.
    It is creeping in here and it gets very tiresome to repeat, repeat and repeat to the point many of us just skip posts. So I understand and yet this hobby has dangers involved.
    Those kids didn't destroy their own lives, they had parents that helped.

We blame schools for poor performance but we don't put enough blame on parents. A teacher shouldn't be expected to able sure a kid does the homework. A teacher isn't the one who should demand better grades. A teacher isn't the one who took the kid out of class for a week vacation.

The disintegration of the family and some level of values is what is causing the trouble.

It also isn't all kids. I guarantee many on this site have kids who are doing fine. Mine certainly is.

While I disagree with the kids liberal views the speech by a kid at her graduation spoke volumes. He got a great scholarship to MIT and will do well. His comments were that he wasn't smarter than the rest, he just wanted it more. While they were playing sports, playing video games, or out with friends he was home studying. He wanted it bad enough to work his tail off for it. I couldn't agree more.

Boolit Bub
    All in all this forum is one of the more polite and courteous ones I have watched. I am just smart enough to know how little I know about cast boolits and reloading in general. The amount of good information is outstanding. I will start casting and reloading this winter.

Semper Fi

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pat I. View Post
    Instead of griping about this subject every week or so have any of you guys with 5, 10, 15, or 20 thousand posts ever thought about turning the computer off and doing something else for a while? A little trigger time, a good book, or a good steak at your favorite restaurant might help settle the nerves.
    That went right over my head. Nerves? This place is a pass time, entertainment, relaxation for me. It is one of the things that I spend the least time doing most days. Nerves?

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master
    Rick, i didn't think you silhouette shooters had nerves......

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker View Post
    Thank You!
    Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    I guess I'm a little confused here . . . maybe it's my age 'cause I'm and old fart . . . but I'm new to reloading. Yes . . . I have reloading manuals . . . yes . . . I've done a lot of searches on here and other threads . . . . no . . . . I don't have a smart phone nor any of that other new technology . . . I'm just a 61 year old guy who has shot BP all of my life from pistols to cannons . . . I guess you'd say I'm "new" to reloading though . . . and like many other "noobies" - which, if I'm not mistaken . . . everyone here was at one time regardless of if you've been reloading 20 or 100 years . . . and from the sounds of some of the "cranky ones" . . the 100 years may be more accurate. So . . . . for all of you that are tired of the "noobie questions" . . . instead of an elite group forum . . . why don't you just post a sticky and be explicit on what questions may be asked since some think that "any" question is a stupid one . . . then maybe all of us that are new on here can kind of get an idea of what is and what isn't allowed.

Funny thing though . . .I've purchased quite a few things here from brass to lead to reloading tools from members and sponsors . . . some of them "old timers" . . . and not one of them has turned down my "noobie" cash. Hmmm . . . is there going to be a rule against "noobies" purchasing things from other members and sponsors since so many of us seem to ask "dumb" questions? I'm sure that's probably a "dumb" question . . . just trying to get it clear in my ancient noobie mind.

Regardless of a person's age . . . and I'm sure I can learn a lot from a younger person just as I can from an older person . . . or how long they've have or haven't been reloading . . . it's called "getting along with each other". There are a lot of knowledgeable folks on here who are willing to share the things that they know and have learned . . and that's a big help to someone getting started. I have had responses to some of the questions I have asked that have been nothing less that "belittling" . . . so be it . . there are a lot of cranks out there who don't want to climb down from their pedestal. However, after reading a number of manuals . . . some of which are conflicting beyond belief . . . . I, and I'm sure many others as well, are going to have questions. I guess I'd rather ask a "dumb" question and put up with a little "belittling" so that I don't make a mistake that could possibly hurt myself or others around me.

This has been an interesting thread to read . . . I'd like to hear more but I'm a guessing there isn't a chair next to the stove for someone new? I'm not thin skinned . . . and a lot of other folks aren't either. I just think that everyone . . . regardless of how long they've been doing anything . . . ought to take time out once in a while and ponder on how it was when they got started and the welcome help and advice that they got from others. Simply put . . . if it ain't a "welcoming place" . . . it will end up being a "lonely place".

Here you go. Only 20 bucks plus shipping. Makes a great Christmas present.
    Personally
    I think you should save yourself some money get the eBook version instead
    It's much more convienent to have it on your computer, phone, and tablet.
    That way you can have the information at your fingertips all the time with a search function available.
    Heck, I bet you can even find a .pdf version for free if you look hard enough.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...at-amazon-com/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ebook.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	114.3 KB 
ID:	89933

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't like E-books for stuff like this. I don't keep my electronics on my loading bench and try to keep them away from the grit, grime, grease, and grunge that inhabits the bench. A paper copy is also far easier to make notes on and loan to others.

E-books have a place but I still prefer old school for reloading guides and manuals.

On the other hand, if a guy won't spend 1.99 to get more knowledge and understanding then he really needs to address his priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post

Waco you started all this what do you have to say for your self (you are a bad boy!!) lol I think its great you see the true side of people when things like this go on. But it don't matter to me I really like reading this stuff its great just like all the people here you guys are super people to listen to. I been here awhile I just don't ask many questions pretty much if you read as much as me your question will get answered before you have to ask. And far as the family feud I don't see one just a bunch of people with different opinions, every body has them.

Boolit Master

99.9% of the folks here are great people. If a poster asks something that has been answered numerous times I just go on to another topic and let some of the newer folks answer it. I would only jump in if I thought their advice was dangerous.

And my mental state improved considerably when I decided to stay out of the Pit.

But you should hear what I say to my students in class who show up without their REQUIRED textbooks. Their life is unpleasant every day they don't come prepared to learn. This should indicate what I think about not owning any loading manuals, guides, etc. and why I rarely provide help to those who don't or won't get the basics needed to safely start casting and loading.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast