Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Family Feud

Love Life
    Did ya'll hear about Doe Run?

I'm tacticool and I practice urban operations on a daily basis (I live nowhere near an urban area). I use shurikens as my primary weapon, and nunchaku as a back up weapon. I can often be found in my tan 511 pants, long sleeve shirt with elbow pads, kneepads, Blackhawk drop holster, Oakley amber glasses, and an Infidel ball cap. If you ever see me in town, do not approach me to greet me. I stay in condition red at all times. Just know that I saw you long before you saw me.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    Agree completely.

We have a large percentage of veterans here, yet I have never read--not even once--of ANY of the vets here extolling any missions or operations they were a part of, how many purple stars of legion & merit they were awarded, how many of "the enemy" they killed (barehanded or otherwise), etc. On so many of the other sites, you'd swear every other member there was a retired command master chief from Delta Team Six/PJ Ranger Recon Beret battalion.

I've met some of the fellow vets here and know others by reputation. I suspect Runfiverun and I had awful similar jobs in the Air Force. We've got some folks here that the first beer is on me should we ever meet up anywhere.

And yet, everyone is quiet about that. We have world-class shooters here, shooters who have won more trophies and plaques than Hallmark has cards. Yet, they're very quiet about it. We have members here whose contributions to reloading and shooting and boolit casting put them at the pinnacle of the shooting world. But they're quiet.

It's the occasional new drive-by members that show up, mouth off, look for an easy way out or easy solution then don't like the answer they're given and mouth off some more and try to impress everyone with their gun world experience and panache.

Doesn't fly. When it was just the occasional such instance every once in a great while, not much was said. But it seems like it is increasing in frequency around here, and as with any old(er) person, there is only so much back-up left before the decision is made to stand your ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post

I'm tacticool and I practice urban operations on a daily basis (I live nowhere near an urban area). I use shurikens as my primary weapon, and nunchaku as a back up weapon. I can often be found in my tan 511 pants, long sleeve shirt with elbow pads, kneepads, Blackhawk drop holster, Oakley amber glasses, and an Infidel ball cap. If you ever see me in town, do not approach me to greet me. I stay in condition red at all times. Just know that I saw you long before you saw me.
    Unfortunately, you'd be in good company on several sites I no longer frequent.

I do find the quality of postings here and overall knowledge base is the best, bar none.

I would also like to thank all the unsung veterans as noted previously.

I find myself spending more time here than anywhere else.

Boolit Buddy
    I am a new guy on the forum, I do not have quite as many trophies as hallmark cards tho ?
    Been doing this for a while...
    Am I allowed to have an opinion now ?

Boolit Master

I was thinking of posting something like this myself the other day, seems most threads once they hit page 3 are not worth go to anymore... But since it seems like every time I log on I have like 1000 unread posts skipping those is probably a good thing

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by varmint243 View Post
    I am a new guy on the forum, I do not have quite as many trophies as hallmark cards tho ?

Just stick around for awhile. The forum is experiencing growing pains right now, and once they are done it'll be back to business as usual.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by varmint243 View Post
    *Shrug*

Don't recall anyone ever saying you weren't allowed to have an opinion now or any other time.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    It's no different than any other forum I belong to. Gotta take the good with the bad and weed out the trolls.

Don't feed the trolls.
    Or as my Grandaddy used to say, "Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff".

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I guess I'm a little confused here . . . maybe it's my age 'cause I'm and old fart . . . but I'm new to reloading. Yes . . . I have reloading manuals . . . yes . . . I've done a lot of searches on here and other threads . . . . no . . . . I don't have a smart phone nor any of that other new technology . . . I'm just a 61 year old guy who has shot BP all of my life from pistols to cannons . . . I guess you'd say I'm "new" to reloading though . . . and like many other "noobies" - which, if I'm not mistaken . . . everyone here was at one time regardless of if you've been reloading 20 or 100 years . . . and from the sounds of some of the "cranky ones" . . the 100 years may be more accurate. So . . . . for all of you that are tired of the "noobie questions" . . . instead of an elite group forum . . . why don't you just post a sticky and be explicit on what questions may be asked since some think that "any" question is a stupid one . . . then maybe all of us that are new on here can kind of get an idea of what is and what isn't allowed.

Funny thing though . . .I've purchased quite a few things here from brass to lead to reloading tools from members and sponsors . . . some of them "old timers" . . . and not one of them has turned down my "noobie" cash. Hmmm . . . is there going to be a rule against "noobies" purchasing things from other members and sponsors since so many of us seem to ask "dumb" questions? I'm sure that's probably a "dumb" question . . . just trying to get it clear in my ancient noobie mind.

Regardless of a person's age . . . and I'm sure I can learn a lot from a younger person just as I can from an older person . . . or how long they've have or haven't been reloading . . . it's called "getting along with each other". There are a lot of knowledgeable folks on here who are willing to share the things that they know and have learned . . and that's a big help to someone getting started. I have had responses to some of the questions I have asked that have been nothing less that "belittling" . . . so be it . . there are a lot of cranks out there who don't want to climb down from their pedestal. However, after reading a number of manuals . . . some of which are conflicting beyond belief . . . . I, and I'm sure many others as well, are going to have questions. I guess I'd rather ask a "dumb" question and put up with a little "belittling" so that I don't make a mistake that could possibly hurt myself or others around me.

This has been an interesting thread to read . . . I'd like to hear more but I'm a guessing there isn't a chair next to the stove for someone new? I'm not thin skinned . . . and a lot of other folks aren't either. I just think that everyone . . . regardless of how long they've been doing anything . . . ought to take time out once in a while and ponder on how it was when they got started and the welcome help and advice that they got from others. Simply put . . . if it ain't a "welcoming place" . . . it will end up being a "lonely place".

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    So . . . . for all of you that are tired of the "noobie questions" . . . instead of an elite group forum . . . why don't you just post a sticky and be explicit on what questions may be asked since some think that "any" question is a stupid one . . . then maybe all of us that are new on here can kind of get an idea of what is and what isn't allowed.
    Nobody would read the sticky. Kind of like now....

In Remembrance
    Frank sure is getting a lot of new company. . .

Almost time for a one star rating.

Perma-Banned

The only stupid question is the one that is not asked. That being said, however, if the first post at the top of the page is a sticky with the exact wording that you are looking for, then you are just setting yourself up for some grief. If you were to ask a question, and someone gives you a snitty answer, do not assume that your character or intelligence has been attacked. Use the search function to find possible answers to your questions, most have been posted before. Someone asked a question about a separate forum for auctions from fixed price items. Why? Too lazy to skip a post where it says "Auction"? The question was not dumb, just not well thought out. After the first couple of posters pointed this out, the OP started to feel that he was being belittled and picked on. Others soon chimed in in support of the OP or against the OP. The point is, think, search, don't be too cheap to buy a manual or two (I have been known to pick up a couple from time to time), and don't come looking for instant gratification for load data or accolades that you have come up with the latest and greatest bread slicer. Just enjoy the forum (ribbing is provided free of charge...if we were to have a paid "Professional" Forum, you would then be paying for the ribbing). Read, listen, and learn.

OB

[FONT=times new roman][SIZE=3]Je suis Charlie

Safeguard our way of life...Defend the Constitution against ALL Enemies, Foreign and Domestic!!!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bhn22 View Post
    We live in a frustrating time in history, anxiety is everywhere. I talk daily with people who are frustrated, and don't even know why. There is of course, more than one reason for the pain, and it's different to different people. We just need to make it through this.
    This is the wisest post I've read on this subject.

It would not hurt a bit to take a breath and be nice, even if you thought the new guy didn't measure up to how you'd do it.
    And if a question really bothers you, there's plenty more threads to read here. Just skip on down the page.

We should consider ourselves lucky - there is no culture of what may and may not be asked or discussed here. That's in contrast to some other forums. Sometimes what can be discussed is dependant on ones 'social status' on the forum. Not here. And guess what? This forum is far more popular than those 'elitist' forums, not to mention more informative and lively. Not saying those are all bad forums, just that one has to tread carefully. And never mention forming 303 cases from 30-40 Krag! For some undisclosed reason that is taboo. Some noobie might read it and go blow himself up!? It's OK to make the 303 case into 35-303 or any 303 wildcat but not 30-40 to 303. And never discuss metallurgy on some forums. That's also taboo. Go figure.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

We should consider ourselves lucky - there is no culture of what may and may not be asked or discussed here. That's in contrast to some other forums. Sometimes what can be discussed is dependant on ones 'social status' on the forum. Not here. And guess what? This forum is far more popular than those 'elitist' forums, not to mention more informative and lively. Not saying those are all bad forums, just that one has to tread carefully. And never mention forming 303 cases from 30-40 Krag! For some undisclosed reason that is taboo. Some noobie might read it and go blow himself up!? It's OK to make the 303 case into 35-303 or any 303 wildcat but not 30-40 to 303. And never discuss metallurgy on some forums. That's also taboo. Go figure. Many members simply give up on those forums.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Grand Master
    I have had little to no success with the search function here, so I say "come on in and ask" to the new guys. Just because he's new here, doesn't mean he's new. I turned on a friend of mine to this site--he's a korean war vet pushing 85 who has been shooting since he was knee high and won more matches in more disciplines than I ever will. And let's face it, boolit casting is a bit of an esoteric subject. You can have a fair size collection of reloading manuals and have zippity do dah about cast boolits.

What grates my teeth is when some of our long time members jump on some one for not knowing something. Until you can grasp at least the basics of any topic, you don't even know what you don't know. Can't ask a question about a subject when you don't even know it exists. I'll be honest, every time I see someone post a "read the sticky" response WITHOUT posting the link to said sticky, I just say "jerk" to myself. That presupposes knowledge about the web site that can only be gained through use of the web site. Not everyone has equal levels of computer savvy. Not every one has reloaded 800,000 + cast boolit loads in the last 82 years. When a new guy asks for help on the "Same Old S***" either help him, or ignore the post. There's no excuse for rudeness.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=bedbugbilly;2507624
    This has been an interesting thread to read . . . I'd like to hear more but I'm a guessing there isn't a chair next to the stove for someone new? I'm not thin skinned . . . and a lot of other folks aren't either. I just think that everyone . . . regardless of how long they've been doing anything . . . ought to take time out once in a while and ponder on how it was when they got started and the welcome help and advice that they got from others. Simply put . . . if it ain't a "welcoming place" . . . it will end up being a "lonely place".[/QUOTE]

Plain and simple, you won't find a more friendly group thats willing to help out than the guys on here. Yeah it gets a little tireing reading the same questions day after day, all thats being asked is to do a little RESEARCH first! If you can't find or don't understand the by all means ask. This is good advice to any "noob" and it's comeing from a "noob"
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post

I have an Infidel ballcap, tshirt and an Infidel flag in front of my house next to an Appeal To Heaven one. I'm a wanna be tacticool dude
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    This thread T's me off. I'm tired of complaining about complaining and arguing about arguing.
    Sick & tired of being sick & tired?
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    This thread T's me off. I'm tired of complaining about complaining and arguing about arguing.
    So yer saying your sick & tired, of being sick & tired?
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast