RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mis-Aligned Mold Blocks

Mis-Aligned Mold Blocks

A day or two ago my new Lee .452-200SWC mold showed up. Yesterday I prepped the mold i.e. got the sharp edges off the sprue plate, surfaced the underside of sprue plate and cleaned the blocks with solvent and Dawn.

Once the mold was prepped I warmed up the pot so I could see what the new boolits were gonna look like and everything went just about as planned. I dropped a couple hundred of these and other than looking at the boolits after opening the mold I never gave 'em much thought, they looked good. The only difference was that I was water dropping because I wanted to lube them later and possibly load them today so I couldn't really see the whole boolit as they were in the bottom of the bucket.

When I went to pull them out of the bucket I first noticed what I though was "finning" on the boolits where the blocks meet. Upon closer inspection with my bifocals it became apparent that it wasn't finning but mis-aligned mold blocks. To the naked eye while casting and looking down on the blocks from above they appear to line up perfectly. After discovering the problem and inspecting the block which still had boolits in them they appear also to line up 360°.

Anybody ever have this particular issue with a Lee mold before?

Banned

alignment pin is off a little.

Boolit Master

Send them back to Lee or you will have trouble to the end.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master

Not sure of the Lee blocks, but this is a fairly common problem with steel blocks. As runfiverun said the alignment pins are probably not seated quite deep enough. This will not let the blocks go fully together. I take a brass punch and lightly tap the pins into the block. Go easy and put the blocks together and hold the mold up to a light source and you should see some improvement. As I say go easier with the hammer/punch than you think because a little goes a long way.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

@ smoked turkey
    I think you might have mis-read the OP. I'm not getting finning at all, what I have is a boolit that the halves don't match up even though the mold appears to be flush on all sides.

I think what I'll do is call Lee this morning and see if they'll either just replace the blocks or send me a whole new mold. I've got to say that I've got six Lee molds and other than me boogering up the first one simply because I was new they've all been perfect once they're cleaned up.

Boolit Master

Yes Joe, I did mis-read the OP. Sorry. You are on the right track.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Grand Master

If you're going to be home today I'll be over that way and can stop in, we'll take a look at them?

Larry Gibson

Yup,

Supposed to take my wife and daughter to the range at some point but other than that I'm still unemployed.

Banned

umm cody wyoming is a bit away from lake havasu Arizona.
    iv'e been to both places and "swinging by" isn't really an option

Boolit Master
    Larry must know something about tele-transportation.

I've been close enough to both locations to know that it's somewhat more than just an I'll-meet-you-after-lunch trip.

Boolit Grand Master

Larry Gibson

I have read many of Larry Gibson's posts and am looking forward to the one on tele-transportation. Thanks in advance

“A liberal’s paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or not, such a place does indeed already exist: It's called Prison."

--- Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Maricopa County, Arizona

Boolit Grand Master

Simply a matter of barrel length, proper alloy, proper bullet design, 4895 powder, Dacron filler and, of course, controlling the RPM..............perhaps I've learned to walk the rice paper......

or maybe Joe is just wintering here in Lake Havasu..........couldn't be something that simple.....could it..........I kind of liked "controlling the RPM"..........

Larry Gibson

Banned

so how was the mold?

Boolit Grand Master

The Lee DC mould appeared to be excellent actually. The male alignment pins were not driven in far enough and were not mating with the female counter part. Didn't take much to remedy that. All appeared lined up after adjustment. Waiting for Joe to cast a few so we'll know for sure.

Larry Gibson

Larry wasn't the one who tele-transported, the wife and I escaped the ice in exchange for kitty litter this year.

The plan is to heat up the pot this morning and see how close Larry got the pins to perfect, my guess is "Pretty Close".

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    The Lee DC mould appeared to be excellent actually. The male alignment pins were not driven in far enough and were not mating with the female counter part. Didn't take much to remedy that. All appeared lined up after adjustment. Waiting for Joe to cast a few so we'll know for sure.

Larry Gibson
    Double cavity! I was thinking a 6 hole'r. Still, with the new style pin arrangement on the doubles, I have trouble visualizing how the alignment could be askew. Gapped, yes; but off kilter?

prs

The male pins weren't drifted into the holes adequately so they never mated with the female receivers when the blocks were closed. Just eyeballing the blocks when closed you'd never see it but the were skewed by about .002". This is my 6th Lee 2-cav mold and it's the first one that I've had a problem with. Larry noted the problem after a minute or two when he grabbed the blocks between his fingers and gave a little twist, they moved.

By the way, when Larry attempted to remove the allen screw holding the blocks to the handle we both found out that Lee doesn't mess around when they tighten those little buggers, no worries about one of those falling out.

The temp is getting into the mid 40's so I think I can risk venturing out to the garage and warm up the pot now.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post

Larry Gibson

"not mating with the female counter part"..........that's always been my problem. I'm happy to see somebody has found a solution to the problem.

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Well the fix of drifting the pins down into the proper position sounded real good on paper but in practice it proved a little more frustrating, at least to me. After a half dozen casts with the mold the pins backed out again and the mis-alignment was back. I tried to hand align prior to each cast but those of you who have tried that before know how well that worked out. So... back to Mr. Gibsons for a follow-up consultation which resulted in resetting the pins once again. This time Larry had a pot going so he did a half dozen casts and sure enough the pins backed out. Larry not being one who quits easily took the mold to the drill press and there are now two nice little set screws holding the alignment pins into place. The fix was tested there by throwing a couple of dozen boolits and they all came out perfect once thing were heated up.

Now all I have to do is run a few pounds of lead through it so I can play with the new boolits.