Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are Lyman Moulds in such demand

Boolit Master

Why are Lyman Moulds in such demand

I just got into casting a few months ago, but I've been reloading for a few years now. I've been watching the prices on moulds from Lyman and RCBS on this sight and cannot believe what they are going for. Midsouth sells new moulds for $58 and change and people are snatching the ones on on the swap out section for $50 or more w/ and w/out handles. What is going on that I'm not catching on to? I could see half price or even $30 maybe $40 for moulds, $50 w/ handles....But people are buying these things up like hot Kryspy Cream Doughnuts for $50....I did get Lee moulds to try this casting thing out and when they give up the ghost, I'll get some better quality ones, but why would someone buy a used mould for so much when new is only a few dollars more?

bhn22
    Lyman is the standard in casting, and their molds are in demand. Their quality isn't perfect, but they eventually try to make their customers happy. Honestly, there's no way you'll get a really good quality used mold for half of new. They usually run about 75% to 80% of new in lean times. Right now there's a bullet shortage, and people who will never melt lead are buying molds, just to have them in case things get worse. Couple that with the buying power of the credit card, and the answers pretty obvious.

Boolit Master
    Have you happened to notice if the new molds are actually in stock?
    Have you happened to notice that some of the molds are no longer produced in that
    number. ie, I have a single cavity in 225462 and when it was a stock item, was also made in
    2 cavity. If I want to upgrade, I have to find one used. You will also need to add to that catalog
    price for the shipping and handling fees. And just because a mold is available from a vendor today, it might have been months since it was last in stock. This does not even take into consideration the difference of old quality vs new quality. Have you read any of the threads about problems with block alignment, quality control, etc, for the new molds? Stay with it, there is a lot to learn about this hobby/obsession. Dusty

Boolit Master

Thanks for the input and agreed, there is a lot to learn. I have been watching and they are in stock and have been for months...I just keep watching so when I get the cash, I can pick one up. I'm looking at .358 and 30 cal molds and they are common. No one lists the date of manufacture so I don't know about the new vs old rebuttal. I have heard that Lyman qc is in question lately....The old molds I could see, but we are talking about something different... I'm referring to the ones still in production. And shipping is seldom included in the mould swapping deals and Grafs only charges $7 for shipping. Hardly any RCBS floating around....Maybe I should keep saving for RCBS...

Boolit Grand Master

Many of the website will show an item in stock when it is not. Lyman lists a 38 cal 150gr SWC for $85.00 plus shipping. On-line vendors are uusually lower.

Molds are like fishing lures. The next one you buy will always shoot better. (Catch more fish).
    Mr. Bill2

Quote Originally Posted by kungfustyle View Post
    Hardly any RCBS floating around....Maybe I should keep saving for RCBS...
    What he said. Folks seem to hang onto RCBS molds. Reckon why?

I also put more value in an old lyman mold over a new one. I try not to buy parts/guns/anything when they're in high demand. Inevitably QC goes down.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master
    Like others have mentioned: It may not be in stock or no longer in production. I have picked up a couple of 4 cavity molds that are no longer in production and I considered the price I paid to be a good deal even if it was used.
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Boolit Master

I have an old Lyman Mold that is 35 or so years old 308 that drops 200 grain boolits but to tell you the truth I cannot say it is any better than my other molds.I would not pay the difference in performance for it over one of the cheaper molds.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master

For the money Lyman makes a tolerable mold. Like Doc Stihl I prefer the Older Ideal and Lyman molds as the quality (IMHO) is better. Not to say the new ones are bad, just seems like Lyman OC is not what it used to be.

That said, I still prefer custom molds From Mihec and NOE when I can get them in the design I want. Try one, you will not be disappointed!!!

Boolit Master
    Lyman's molds are associted with Elmer Kieth considered the Papa of the 44special/44 Mag cartridge, that is basically there only association with the public.
    With out this association they would haave been history years ago!
    In reality they are one of the most money grubbing companies related to firearms there is.
    Service is totally non-existant.
    Products SUCK! Lousy construction, just typical Lyman.

Yet there are a lot of fools that still buy there garbage.
    Try comparing there garbage with a product from RCBS, and service.

Have a nice day!!

There new molds are absolutely pathetic!!!

Some of a lot of things are going for beyond ridiculous prices on online auction sites.
    If people think it's a collectible, it becomes one.

People have joked here about putting things up for auction and adding the words vintage or rare.
    Do an auction site search for an item, then the same item adding vintage to your search. If you use heart meds, make sure they're in reach.

Boolit Grand Master

Hmmmmmmmm

I've had a standing offer to buy any Lyman mould that does not cast to nominal diameter for a while now. I'm sure many of you have seen my offer as discussed in other threads. I've now tested numerous Lyman moulds and so far have found they all cast to nominal diameter with a correct alloy (COWWs + 2% tin or #2 alloy) and correct casting technique as out lined in several manuals but notably Lyman's CBHs. The common problem with most was straight COWWs as the alloy used and with many the casting temp was below 700 degrees also. I've not bought a single Lyman mould under that offer. I have checked one defective Lyman mould that had the cavity off center of each half slightly. (I'm assuming Geargnasher returned it to Lyman for replacement of refund?)

Now on the other hand I have tested a couple RCBS moulds and have found one that would not cast to nominal diameter in one cavity by .0005". I have bought that mould as per the agreement. I have several RCBS moulds of my own and they all cast to nominal diameter with #2 alloy or linotype (the alloy the rifle moulds are designed for). Having bought more new Lyman moulds in the last 10 years than RCBS moulds I'd have to say the quality of both is about the same.....excellent in my opinion. As to their customer service I've been dealing with both for many, many years and have never had a problem. But then I don't call them, or write them or email them bad mouthing the product. Human nature being what it is I've learned to follow the philosophy of that great American Al Capone; "You get more out of people with a smile and a gun.....than just a smile!" So I let nice talking be my "gun" and I get wonderful customer service and complete satisfaction.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
    Lyman's molds are associted with Elmer Kieth considered the Papa of the 44special/44 Mag cartridge, that is basically there only association with the public.
    In reality they are one of the most money grubbing companies related to firearms there is.

Have a nice day!!

Wow, that Sir is a heck of a statement!!! To correct you though, Ideal/Lyman molds predate Elmer Keith by a whole lot of years. I have been casting boolits for right at 48 years now, and have right at 94 Boolit molds, a lot of which are Lyman and Ideal molds. I sure don't consider myself a fool by any stretch. I was just lucky enough to score a few older Ideal/Lyman 44 mag molds on this site yesterday. I have used RCBS, Ideal, Lyman, Saeco, H&I, NEI, Accurate, Paul Jones, Mihec, NOE and Gibbs molds and the Boolits cast with the Lyman molds are every bit as good as all the others.

As for Lyman Customer Service I am Impressed!!! I had a 4500 lubesizer with a defect in the cast body causing lube to leak around the head of the lube compression screw. I sent it in and they replaced the sizer body for free (this is after the warranty period had expired).

I am sorry that you've had such a dismal experience with Lyman. They are a company that has supported shooting sports well over 100 years and deserving of all of our consideration, and another chance by you. If you do have a problem with a Lyman mold they will replace it pretty quick!!!

Boolit Master
    If you want it and cannot find it, you buy it when you see it. Human nature, my want and need hand fight all the time. Some people want older/used molds just because. If you indeed have the disease and it progresses all will become clear. Gtek

Boolit Grand Master

Have a nice day!!

What is truly pathetic is the above quoted post.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

Have a nice day!!

What a total load of BS.

Lyman is only around today because of Elmer? Dude, you really believe that BS?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by kungfustyle View Post
    I just got into casting a few months ago, but I've been reloading for a few years now. I've been watching the prices on moulds from Lyman and RCBS on this sight and cannot believe what they are going for. Midsouth sells new moulds for $58 and change and people are snatching the ones on on the swap out section for $50 or more w/ and w/out handles. What is going on that I'm not catching on to? I could see half price or even $30 maybe $40 for moulds, $50 w/ handles....But people are buying these things up like hot Kryspy Cream Doughnuts for $50....I did get Lee moulds to try this casting thing out and when they give up the ghost, I'll get some better quality ones, but why would someone buy a used mould for so much when new is only a few dollars more?
    Quality tools hold there value. A Lyman boolit mold is a quality tool. With that said, there are always deals to be found on anything, if you want a better deal, checkout gunshows and garage sales, surely the prices will be better then the Sellin' & swappin' section. This website is probably the second largest collection of boolit casters in the world (the first being FleaBay), where better to advertise to sell a boolit mold than the largest (or second largest) collection of boolit casters. Where there is demand, there will be the highest prices.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

I've been reloading for years now and have been on the proverbial fence about casting for a while. What got me started was my 8mm Mauser. Just bought the thing and couldn't find ammo for it and almost sold it till I found out that you could turn 30-06 brass in Mauser brass. Got the Lee stuff to get started casting and now I can ring an 8" steel gong from 100 yards away, I'm hooked....But a man can go broke getting the necessities involved in this supportive/second hobby. I like Lyman stuff, Love RCBS stuff, use some Lee stuff...I guess my reloading area looks like Fred Sanford's been there.... But it works....I guess I'll keep saving till I find a deal on what I'm looking for and hopefully will be able to put a plug in before some of the fast people on this sight....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast