Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Loads for 45 Colt pistol in 45 Colt Rifle.

Boolit Master

Loads for 45 Colt pistol in 45 Colt Rifle.

I have a friend that has a Uberti Model 73 30" octgon barreled rifle and a Uberti 45 Colt pistol, he was looking for loads that would work in both guns.

Am I correct in suggesting that he can shoot any of the listed pistol loads in the rifle?

He tried some 200 gr. J-words with 8.1 grains of Clays, well upon looking at the specs of 45 colt loads in my Lyman 49th edition he was well above any of the max loads. He fired 4 rounds in the 73 and 3 in the pistol. He showed me the empty cases that he fired and they showed no signs of high pressure. Even though, I told him to pull the rest of those loads and start over.

Boolit Grand Master

Is he sticking with j bullets or going to use cast? If cast what bullet? If he doesn't know I suggest the 200 RF for fun and games as it does real well in my SAA revolvers and Unberti M73 Carbine.....does very well in my 24" M92 also.

Larry Gibson

Banned

I would not go above SAAMI spec in a 73 action. 9 grains of Unique with a 255 gain boolit.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Larry.
    He did not say if he was going to shoot cast in it or not, I don't think he is a caster though.

Boolit Master
    Hi James.
    My Lyman 49th edition only lists 8.5 grs. of Unique for the 255 gr. cast boolit. Either way you are right, he needs to be cautious even with max loads in the 73.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    I would not go above SAAMI spec in a 73 action. 9 grains of Unique with a 255 gain boolit.
    That is a little above the SAAMI MAP for the 45 Colt. SAAMI MAP (Maximum Average pressure) is 14,000 psi. The 454190 at 250 gr over 8.5 gr Alliant Unique runs a measured (Oehler M43 PBL with a Contender barrel) 18,000 psi. However, considering the other cartridges the M73 Uberti is chambered in that should be ok. Not sure I'd use 9 gr under a 255 gr bullet in my Uberti much. I use a 200 gr RF over 7.3 gr Bullseye which is under the SAAMI MAP. It shoots very well in both of my Uberti SAAs and the M73.

Larry Gibson

Banned

Alliant data is 9.5 grains of Unique for 250 grain SWC.

Larry, that's interesting pressure info on the Unique load....Lyman 48 shows that bullet (454190) with a top load of 9.0 gr. Unique for 45 colt (doesn't show pressure though)....If someone had asked me (before I looked it up) I would have said that was to "hot" for a Colt or clone...actually I still think it is for one. That's a load I shoot in my Rugers (the bullets cast at 260ish gr.) but I won't take Unique any higher even in the Rugers...(yes I know I can, but at that point I just go to 2400)...

Boolit Master

In my Uberti 73 I always use the lower end of the charge rate and after a thousand rounds or better no problems and it kills the paper good.I have yet to kill any animal,but looking forward to.I find that if you are going to hot rod get a hot rod and not try to hot rod something that wasn't intended to be hot rodded.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master

For what it is worth I shoot 10.0 grs of Herco in my Rossi 45 Colt lever action. I use the same powder load with 200-245gr boolits. The only jacketed I've put down the bore were factory ammo.

Boolit Grand Master

Ok folks, no need to get your feathers ruffled.

jmortimer said; "I would not go above SAAMI spec in a 73 action. 9 grains of Unique with a 255 gain boolit. "

Fact is that load is not with in the SAAMI spec (MAP) of 14,000 psi. It is well within the safety parameters of most modern SAAs considering many are also in 44 SPL let alone the 45 ACP cylinders they sell for them. Those cartridges all have SAAMI MAPs in the 15.5 - 21,000 psi range. The load of 8.5 gr Unique has been the "standard" recommended Unique load with 250 - 255 gr RF and SWC cast bullets for many, many years. I'm just reporting facts and the fact is 9 gr of Unique is not within SAAMI specs. I am not arguing or saying anything is wrong or dangerous with 9 gr of Unique. I just said that I wouldn't use it much and prefer the 200 gr load; less lead down range, very accurate and it is within SAAMI spec's. Just discussion is all.

Lyman does not list a pressure for Unique loads with 250 gr cast bullets. Had they pressure tested the loads they would have listed them. Lyman does not state in their manual #4 CBH that the max loads are with in SAAMI spec.

Alliant lists 8 gr of Unique under the 250 gr lead bullet as max, at least in the Alliant manual I have. It also lists 6.6 gr Unique with the 250 gr lead bullet as the "Cowboy Load".

Larry Gibson

I just checked the Alliant on line site and they do show 9.5 gr Unique as a max load for the 250 gr Speer LSWC. I have emailed them asking why the difference between that and the data in their printed Reloaders Guide. I also asked if the 8 gr load and/or the 9.5 gr loads were at or under the SAAMI MAP. I will report verbatim their reply when I get it.
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 12-04-2013 at 01:23 PM.

Boolit Master
    Be safe just load for the pistol then shoot in the rifle.

He will be surprised at how fast they will be traveling.

Works in my 41 mag Marlin.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by plainsman456 View Post
    Be safe just load for the pistol then shoot in the rifle.

He will be surprised at how fast they will be traveling.

Works in my 41 mag Marlin.
    10-4! that was my suggestion to him. His load of 8.1 grains of Clays was a mistake on his part.

Boolit Grand Master

Got the answer from Alliant.

Here's the question(s);

Sent: Wednesday, December 04, 2013 11:18 AM
    To: Alliant Reloading
    Subject: Alliant Powder - Ask the Expert Form

RE; 45 Colt for use in replica SAAs.

My '96 Alliant Reloaders guide lists 8 gr Unique under a 250 gr lead bullet as max. The online Alliant site lists 9.5 gr under the Speer 250 gr as max. Which is correct for SAAs and a Uberti M73 rifle? Is either at or under the SAAMI MAP of 14,000 psi for the 45 Colt cartridge?

Thank you

And here is the answer;

Both sets of data should be within standard 45 Colt pressures. The Speer bullet is swaged lead, which is softer and therefore might produce lower pressure with the same powder charge. The listed 9.5 gr charge can be reduced by 10%, which is approx a 1 gr reduction. A firm crimp is recommended.

Ben

Alliant Powder Technical Service

Ben says both "sets of data should be within standard 45 Colt pressures". Doesn't answer whether they are within SAAMI MAP for the 45 Colt cartridge. Note however the '96 Reloaders Guide does list the CUP pressure for the 8 gr Unique load which is just under the SAAMI CUP MAP. Yes the 250 gr Speer is swaged lead and probably does produce less pressure than a harder cast bullet. I will have to test that out someday if I come across some Speer swaged bullets. At any rate reducing the 9.5 gr load to 8.5 gr (per Ben's suggestion) brings us back down to the "classic" Unique load with a 250 gr cast/lead bullet doesn't it? The psi for that is still over the SAAMI MAP (spec) for the 45 Colt cartridge.

I will note here when the 8.5 gr Unique load was tested in the Contender barrel with the Oehler M43 along with 8 factory loads. Those 8 factory loads were all within SAAMI "spec" ((at or under the SAAMI MAP). That test barrel has been used for numerous handload development also and gives consistent results that match with load manuals.

Larry Gibson