RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reformed .300 Sav case sticks in 99

Boolit Master

I had a similar problem with LC 7.62 brass that would not fit in a tight ar-10 chamber. I had to switch to small base dies, as has been mentioned here already. The small base dies solved my problem.

Boolit Master
    I've been shooting reformed 308 store bought brass thru my 300s for quite a few years. Never had any trouble with the way I case formed them. As a matter of fact I like reformed federal or winchester 308 brass better than factory 300 brass. I don't know it their still available. But years ago I bought a set of RCBS 300 Sav small base resizing dies. A most helpful die set to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by robroy View Post
    Dan how far are you from Clearview? I've got a cousin that used to live on the Montana side of town. He moved up river a bit and is between Savage and Sidney now. Sorry Hijack
    Roy,
    Not sure where Clearview is. It does not show on my maps. There is a Fairview north of Sidney while Savage is south west of Sidney. Sidney is about 80 or 90 miles north and 10 miles west of me.

18 below with wind this afternoon so resolving the proper and effective load for the reformed .300 cases is on hold. Good Lord it is cold.

I had a brain fart and typed the wrong name. Fairview it is.

Watch the charge in military brass. I think they usually run at similar pressure at a full grain less in 7.62×51 NATO headstamp brass.
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    Moderators: We don't really have a subforum on forming cases so since my problem is with a Sav. 99, I am here. Feel free to move is you desire.

Problem: .300 Savage cases reformed from .308 commercial and 7.62 NATO stick in chamber of my rifle when fired with PP Cast bullets. The .308 case is resized in a .300 Sav. fl die. Then the case is pushed through a .45 ACP carbide die to remove any bulge at the case head. The case is trimmed to length and the neck is turned so the case wall at the neck is .015, reduced from .017 of the .308s. the .015 thickness matches the thickness of my RP commercial .300 brass.

My load in commercial .300 Sav is a 180 grain 311291 sized and patched to .311-.312 over 40 grains of Reloader 15. Accuracy is good and the rifle unlocks and extracts with no effort and no pressure sign on the primer.

Using the reformed brass with the smae bullet but charge reduced 3 grains in consideration of thicker .308 and mil-spec brass, the bullets group the same as from the .300 brass but extraction is difficult in the extreme. There is no pressure sign on the primer and the case head will mike out the same as the .300 Sav Cases.

I am stumped. Suggestions please.
    Prolly that nasty Savage rifle. You should consider selling it to me, and I'll try and deal with the significant brass issues you are having.

Boolit Master
    Dan Cash,

I shoot a lot of 300 Savage PP and have a few comments. The 300 Savage chamber is cut with a cylindrical section, just before the forcing cone, of 0.3095"D, i.e. SAAMI specs. Therefore, a PPCB diameter of 0.3095"D or greater will cause the PP to be cut or wedged into this cylinder section. Inaccuracy or higher pressure can result. My PPCB diameters are 0.308" to 0.309"D. I'd suggest a "pound-swage" to make sure what your chamber's cylindrical diameter is. Likewise, I use RCBS small base dies and progressive powders, i.e. W748, W760.

Best regards,

CJR
    Last edited by CJR; 01-01-2014 at 01:42 PM. Reason: added "SAAMI specs"

I know this is a old thread but I am trying to find out max boolet length for 300sav in a 99 savage. There is a guy with some 30 cal 147 gr m 80 ball bullets. I am trying to figure out if I can use them to reload and have them fit in the rotary mag and not be in the powder of the case.

Boolit Master
    Try annealing your 308 brass before their resizing. Btw I shoot once fired than annealed & resized 308 Federal brass in my 300s and I actually prefer it over factory original 300 Sav {Winchester brand and Herter's brass} I also have. But never get around using.

In my EG Savage, I load those bullets to a length of 2.6 inches and they work well. I used R15 when it was available. I can not speak to other powers now available.
    Quote Originally Posted by beroen View Post
    I know this is a old thread but I am trying to find out max boolet length for 300sav in a 99 savage. There is a guy with some 30 cal 147 gr m 80 ball bullets. I am trying to figure out if I can use them to reload and have them fit in the rotary mag and not be in the powder of the case.

CJR,
    Here it is a year later and because of Overmax's post, I have seen your reply. I am certain that all my sticking cases were from excess pressure. Cutting the powder charge with converted cases solved the sticking problem but accuracy went to 10 or 12 inch groups. Powder charges had to be reduced by about 4 grains to produce a load that did not stick the case.

I put that project on hold for the winter and have not gotten back to it yet. I did a pound cast of the chamber throat but don't remember anything unusual about it. When I take it up again, I will cast the chamber again and try some of your suggested powders as I surely like the rifle and would shoot it more if I could make pp cast work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12